No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you guys think Kanter is going that high? I personally have my doubts, I have a feeling he will be around for our pick.

Comment

• RaptorsFan4Life wrote: View Post
      He's not a terrible passer or a good passer. If we draft him it'd be on the principle that he has all the physical tool and will develop. Worst case scenario we could always stick him at SG as he's a very good shooter.
      I REALLY hate the idea of drafting a guy for the PG position and hoping he develops into one. The chances of that happening are miniscule. And Knight doesn't seem to have the personality to become a leader on the floor, which is a huge red flag for a PG. He's quiet and reserved. I just don't see him having the mental aspect to become a good PG. And as I said, at the 5 spot, you need to aim higher.
      Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
      Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
        This reminds me of the argument over Avery Bradley, last year. It's not that I didn't like him as a player. It's that I didn't like him as a lottery pick. Brandon Knight might end up being a good rotation player, but at 5, I'd want to aim a little higher than that, and I see his game as too flawed to be that guy.
        But isn't that really the problem with this draft: are there any really raw projects with huge upside? I have no problem with BC taking a flyer at #5 in this draft but I just don't know if there is a guy who fits the bill. Ironically, Knight might be one guy who is so young, so raw, such a project that he might actually be a 'let's roll the dice' kind of pick.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
          But isn't that really the problem with this draft: are there any really raw projects with huge upside? I have no problem with BC taking a flyer at #5 in this draft but I just don't know if there is a guy who fits the bill. Ironically, Knight might be one guy who is so young, so raw, such a project that he might actually be a 'let's roll the dice' kind of pick.
          I just don't see Knight having much upside at all. Kanter (if available), Valanciunas, Vesely, Biyombo and Leonard all have much more upside, in my opinion. Knight has the physical tools, but for the PG position, I think that's not nearly as important. I think Bayless is probably a better prospect. He's got just as many physical tools as Knight, but as a better personality for a PG.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• MyMomLovesMe wrote: View Post
            Why do you guys think Kanter is going that high? I personally have my doubts, I have a feeling he will be around for our pick.
            I hope you are right.

Comment

• http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...at-the-combine

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/7...ism-at-combine

Not sure if this has been posted, but I think the combine will give us a clearer picture.
              Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Wed May 18, 2011, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                According to ESPN twitter feeds (can't remember which guy), Minnesota has already stated that it is open to trading the #2 pick for veteran help...

I think Calderon & #5 pick for #2 pick would be a good trade that is fair for both teams. Toronto gets #2 overall pick and Minnesota gets a top-5 pick and a veteran PG to mentor Rubio
                The key word there is veteran HELP. Not veteran crap.
                your pal,
                ebrian

Comment

• NBA.com's Mock Draft. Very Interesting Choices. Il highlight a couple that stood out.http://www.nba.com/2011/news/feature...s=iref:nbahpt1

5 Toronto Raptors | Jan Vesely | F-C | Partizan Belgrade (Serbia)

Big man plays with passion and would allow Raptors to move Andrea Bargnani out to the perimeter more or less permanently.
                  6 Washington Wizards | Markieff Morris | PF | Kansas

Wizards need a young three, but going for Texas' Jordan Hamilton here seems a little high. Better to go for a solid 4/5 here in Morris, who should be a good defender and rebounder in the pros.
                  16 Philadelphia 76ers | Bismack Biyombo | F-C | Baloncesto Fuenlabrada (Spain)

Sixers aren't completely sold on any of their backup bigs, and the intriguing Biyombo -- who was the talk of the Nike Hoop Summit a few weeks ago -- already knows how to throw his weight around.
                  21 Portland Trail Blazers | Kemba Walker | G | Connecticut

Well, Dick Vitale has to wail about someone slipping. Walker is certainly not the 21st-best player in the Draft, but he's a 6-foot-1 scoring guard, and those aren't in great demand in the pros. He can learn how to play the point in the 503 behind one of the best, Andre Miller.
                  30 Chicago Bulls | Jimmer Fredette | G | BYU

Again, the Bulls may well be picking here for someone else. But Chicago could do worse than pick the ridiculously prolific Fredette, a highly skilled guard who can put the ball in the basket when Derrick Rose needs a blow.

Comment

• I see Knight being compared to Chauncey Billups actually... Maybe this isn't the best year to take a guard, next draft has names like Rivers and Kabongo at the PG spot. Bayless is still just 22, maybe he breaks through, who knows, but generally when you draft a PG this high, it is usually a committal and a long-term solution.

Comment

• They really have Vesely as a 5? That's nuts. I know the kid can play both the 3 and 4, but I don't think his body can absorb the punishment at the 5.

Comment

• RAPT0RS wrote: View Post
                        Or maybe we go for Brandon Knight?
                        hell no
                        RAPT0RS wrote: View Post
                        Do we trade the pick away? What do you guys think?
                        I hope so
                        "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

• Just saw ESPN analyst Dough Gottlieb top 5 picks:

1) Kyrie Irving- CLE
                          2) Enes Kanter- MIN
                          3) Derrick Williams-UTA
                          4) Jan Vesely- CLE
                          5) Tristian Thompson- TOR

He's playing the "he's from the Toronto area" card with Thompson, and called him a "better pro prospect" than Ed Davis. Thompson will be a solid player, but personally I don't see him deserving of being picked that high, and definitely do not see him as having better potential than Ed Davis.

Comment

• Tank wrote: View Post
                            I see Knight being compared to Chauncey Billups actually... Maybe this isn't the best year to take a guard, next draft has names like Rivers and Kabongo at the PG spot. Bayless is still just 22, maybe he breaks through, who knows, but generally when you draft a PG this high, it is usually a committal and a long-term solution.
                            Knight doesn't have Billups' personality. He's quiet and reserved. And remember that Billups took 5 years and 4 teams to become a decent PG. That's why I hate people bringing up Billups. He was drafted 3rd, so he had loads of talent, and he had a very high IQ and leadership abilities. And it still took him 5 years and 3 teams gave up on him. I have no problem with drafting a project, but the chance of success are low. If the Raptors are going to draft a project, I'd rather they go with a guy like Valanciunas, who at least has a better chance of becoming a good player.
                            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• charlz wrote: View Post
                              hell no

I hope so
                              However much I don't like the Raptor's options at 5, what exactly do you think they're going to get for the pick? This is a weak draft and they've got a far better chance of getting value by choosing a project and hoping he turns out than of getting something decent in return for the pick. The problem is that the pick will most likely end up being just a good rotation player, but at the salary of the 5th pick. No team is going to want to trade for that.
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
                                However much I don't like the Raptor's options at 5, what exactly do you think they're going to get for the pick? This is a weak draft and they've got a far better chance of getting value by choosing a project and hoping he turns out than of getting something decent in return for the pick. The problem is that the pick will most likely end up being just a good rotation player, but at the salary of the 5th pick. No team is going to want to trade for that.
                                Exactly. I keep hearing "let's trade our pick for an established player." I'd really like to see what "established players" people think we can get for the pick, and how that "established player" will help the Raptors 3-5 years down the road.

Comment

Working...
                                X