Draft Review From The Media

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Draft Review From The Media

If the goal was to get a jump on the Bobcats in the race for the No. 1 pick next season, the Raptors did wonderfully.

Grade F
    Source: cbssports.com

Bryan Colangelo loves to go international in the draft, so it should surprise nobody that Valanciunas is heading to Toronto – just maybe not right away, given his contract issues and the impending lockout. Valanciunas' complicated buyout situation will likely delay his debut, but when he does suit up for Toronto, he'll give the Raptors some much-needed size and rebounding. New coach Dwane Casey preaches defense, and Valanciunas shows the instincts and aptitude to develop into a solid starting center. He needs to get stronger and refine his post skills, but he fills a serious need for Toronto.
    Source: Foxsports.com

President and GM Bryan Colangelo nails the half-court shot here, as Valanciunas became the apple of almost every lottery team's eye in recent days. He might not be available to join the Raptors next season, but he can man the middle for Toronto for a decade to come thereafter. He's a skilled and efficient scorer who can still fill out his 19-year-old frame.
    Source: SI.com

Does Jonas Valanciunas project to be the best all around C in this draft and if not for his buyout would he have gone higher?

If teams knew he was fully available, he would’ve been the No. 1 pick.
    ESPN's Ric Bucher

Sweet Zombie Based God, that CBC Sports link is an atrocious article.

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
      That article is ****ing amazing. Greatest laugh I've had today.

No. 7: Bobcats select: Bismack Biyombo, PF, Baloncesto Fuenlabrada Grade
      Analysis: Yes, it's true: A team that couldn't reach 100 points on its hottest night last season dealt its top scorer for a shot-blocking rookie big man. Boring.
      Grade: F

So true. :P

Comment

Pfffttt..CBC. I bet if CBC was informed that the Raptors drafted Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, they'd be able to relate better and would have given the pick an A+ grade.

Comment

WhatWhat wrote: View Post
          Funny!

I couldn't believe that CBS gave Detroit and Charlotte a "B" for drafting Knight and Walker 8th and 9th! I can't believe how far these guys fell, especially Knight, who could have easily gone 3rd.

They were right on the money with the Spurs' grade of "A" though, drafting local boy Cory Joseph and sending George Hill to the Pacers to get Kawhi. How the hell did Kawhi drop so far (15th)?

I haven't read much from the press about the Raps pick, but I think Toronto fans are forming a lynch mob. I never heard so much hate directed at BC before. I think it safe to assume that fans hate this pick. I like the pick though. Jonas will be solid.
          Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
            Pfffttt..CBC. I bet if CBC was informed that the Raptors drafted Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, they'd be able to relate better and would have given the pick an A+ grade.
            It was a CBS article not CBC.
            Never, under any circumstances, take a sleeping pill and a laxative on the same night.

Comment

RaptorDan wrote: View Post
              It was a CBS article not CBC.
              My bad. I didnt bother to even click on the link. I thought that Apollo's link said CBCsports. My apologies.

Comment

I hope that guy didn't get paid to write that draft review, and I'm not saying this because he gave us an F. It really was atrocious.

I stopped reading the Fox Sports' review when I saw, "Bryan Colangelo loves to go international in the draft." Bargnani and a stash away pick that pretty much has to be International = "loves to go international IN THE DRAFT"? People get paid to write this crap?
                Last edited by Quixotic; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Report Card

TORONTO: Exceeds Expectations

5. Jonas Valanciunas

It’s deja vu all over again. Last year, a team above them unexpectedly took an athletic defensive power forward which resulted in a higher ranked big man unexpectedly falling to the Raptors. Colangelo and the Raptors brass probably can’t believe their luck. I was afraid they might still take Knight, but Colangelo showed he is indeed focused on the future, rather than the present.

Valanciunas will fill the void at center the Raptors have been lacking for, well, ever. While apparently a lot of Raptor fans are unhappy with the pick, I think they’ll eventually regret that as Valanciunas is the type of player that Raptor fans love. He’s a high energy player who hustles, defends and rebounds. English, though, is not his strong suit.

On the other hand, the pick they got from the Heat, which they traded to the Bulls for James Johnson, could have been used to pick Corey Joseph at 28, who went one spot later to the Spurs. Who knows if that’s who Colangelo would have picked, as he was projected to go in the second round, but I’ll certainly be comparing their careers. And since the Spurs are pretty much never wrong…

I would have liked to see them try and scoop up another pick, but it’s not a big deal that they didn’t.
                  http://www.wearingfilm.com/picketfen...t-report-card/
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                    My bad. I didnt bother to even click on the link. I thought that Apollo's link said CBCsports. My apologies.
                    It did. Typo guys.

Comment

F? The Raptors picked the best center in the draft, and when you consider that there is high chance of a lockout next year why not let him play regular basketball in Europe instead of playing in the gym against Bargnani and Ajinca.

Comment

Quixotic wrote: View Post
                        I stopped reading the Fox Sports' review when I saw, "Bryan Colangelo loves to go international in the draft." Bargnani and a stash away pick that pretty much has to be International = "loves to go international IN THE DRAFT"? People get paid to write this crap?
                        This shit angers me to no end.... especially because it is a commonly held belief in raptorland too, where hockey culture and Don Cherry-esque xenophobia still rears its ugly head. Say what you want about his team-building skills, but BC certainly has an eye for talent and an almost flawless draft history:

Michael Finley
                        Steve Nash
                        Stephen Jackson
                        Shawn Marion
                        Amare Stoudemire
                        Luol Deng
                        Nate Robinson
                        Marcin Gortat
                        Andrea Bargnani
                        Roy Hibbert
                        DeMar DeRozan
                        Ed Davis
                        Last edited by TheR3dMenace; Fri Jun 24, 2011, 06:09 AM.

Comment

Relax on cbs. The dude gives Kanter, Biyombo and Jonas a F ... and Vesely a B. Imagine if BC took Vesely. Call out the army.

Comment

TheR3dMenace wrote: View Post
                            This shit angers me to no end.... especially because it is a commonly held belief in raptorland too, where hockey culture and Don Cherry-esque xenophobia still rears its ugly head.
                            Thats quite the generalization is it not, amazingly not only towards basketball fans but hockey fans as well. Its battling a prejudice with one of your own.

I have nothing against this pick and it may very well have been the best available at the time. But I completely understand were the anger comes from with fans. This team has been terrible (to differing degrees) for a number of years now and needs significant change and specifically culture change. The selection of Jonas does nothing to effect that.

1) he is not known for being a top notch defender
                            2) he is unlikely to be here next year
                            3) doesn't have the size as of yet (and maybe ever) to bang with other big
                            4) continues with BC's "Euro" philosophy

thats a pretty distinctive continuation of the existing philosophy and cultre is it not? Don't blame Don Cherry or hockey fans for BC's failures.

Comment

TheR3dMenace wrote: View Post
                              This shit angers me to no end.... especially because it is a commonly held belief in raptorland too, where hockey culture and Don Cherry-esque xenophobia still rears its ugly head.
                              I feel you, man. In this particular case, I'm mostly surprised by how lazy some of these writers are. They hear something somewhere, see Bargnani in Toronto, treat it as fact, then fans read the drivel, see Bargnani in Toronto, and treat it as fact. I have yet to hear anyone say "R.C. Buford loves to go international in the draft, so it should surprise nobody that Udrih/Karaulov/Mahinmi/Splitter/de Colo/Richards is heading to San Antonio," and that's not including international players who were picked by the Spurs and traded (Barbosa, Markota, Printezis and Dragic), or those who played NCAA ball (Sato). Heck, from an American standpoint, you could even include Joseph as an international (after all, he isn't American). Eight drafts and how many international players did Buford draft?

BTW, I take back what I said about FoxSports. The draft review was actually written by someone at NBADraft.net.

Comment

Working...
                              X