Raps taking over Drew League.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bendit wrote: View Post
    My impression is it's a fun league and keeps the competitive juices flowing..... probably not a spot to improve your defense (well maybe man D just). Playground bb taken into a gym. DD and others at the USA camp will get much more out of that environment than Drew.
    Agreed.
    I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
      Lol

jonas!
      Really glad to see this. I was a little worried that Jonas was becoming a little separated from the team, since in addition to getting overlooked on the court, he didn't go to the Jays game with the other players and none of them came to his wedding.

But if DD and co invited him to the Drew League it's a great sign.

Raps in Philippines, Raps in Drew League, Rap WORLD TAKEOVER 2015!

Comment

Jeesh I know what Drew League and Summer League are about. But it doesn't bother anyone that the Raptors as an organization gave zero cares about Summer League? Isn't that where teams find depth players? Isn't that where draft picks get their first feel for team play? Wouldn't it make some sense to at least try to surround your valuable rooks with players who understand basic basketball concepts like splitting screens? Or is that just me?

Drew League is jokes and alley-oops but it's also building chemistry. Those guys are probably gaining more from their pressure free games than DeAndre, Bruno, and Bebe got playing on a team with players allegedly trying to garner interest from scouts. No one questions that? I'm the only one?

It looks like the players are doing a better job developing players than the team is. I could go further, like how ridiculous that the Raps didn't hire a English-Portuguese translator when they just acquired 2 Brazilians. We already know that Bruno's guy had his own motives when speaking to the media, do we know whether he was honest in team meetings? If you read about team translators in baseball you realize how important they can be to a players' development. Managers should never be the voice of players, and Machado should have been given the opportunity to practice instead of act as translator.

Then there was the play calling, or lack there of. Seriously, Bruno would have been better off at Drew. He could have practiced with his actual team mates, put some highlights on Youtube, and had no pressure put on him. Instead he's got idiot AKA My sister was a better b-ball player than me and now she's a better commentator screaming, "the Brazillian KD!" and laughing every second he gets and making the kid a punchline.

If the Raps didn't want to take Summer League seriously, they shouldn't have sent their rooks there.

Comment

blackjitsu wrote: View Post
          Jeesh I know what Drew League and Summer League are about. But it doesn't bother anyone that the Raptors as an organization gave zero cares about Summer League? Isn't that where teams find depth players? Isn't that where draft picks get their first feel for team play? Wouldn't it make some sense to at least try to surround your valuable rooks with players who understand basic basketball concepts like splitting screens? Or is that just me?

Drew League is jokes and alley-oops but it's also building chemistry. Those guys are probably gaining more from their pressure free games than DeAndre, Bruno, and Bebe got playing on a team with players allegedly trying to garner interest from scouts. No one questions that? I'm the only one?

It looks like the players are doing a better job developing players than the team is. I could go further, like how ridiculous that the Raps didn't hire a English-Portuguese translator when they just acquired 2 Brazilians. We already know that Bruno's guy had his own motives when speaking to the media, do we know whether he was honest in team meetings? If you read about team translators in baseball you realize how important they can be to a players' development. Managers should never be the voice of players, and Machado should have been given the opportunity to practice instead of act as translator.

Then there was the play calling, or lack there of. Seriously, Bruno would have been better off at Drew. He could have practiced with his actual team mates, put some highlights on Youtube, and had no pressure put on him. Instead he's got idiot AKA My sister was a better b-ball player than me and now she's a better commentator screaming, "the Brazillian KD!" and laughing every second he gets and making the kid a punchline.

If the Raps didn't want to take Summer League seriously, they shouldn't have sent their rooks there.
          They sent the rooks, actually, the whole NBA does, so they can get a taste of the NBA game, style, and type of play and players the league possesses?
          That comment on the team not being as good as players at developing? Goodness, you're absolutely correct, because during the season, they have all the time in the world to work with the players 1-by-1 without worrying about defensive schemes, offensive plays, match-ups, scouting reports, and film study, right? RIGHT?!

Drew League is all jokes, alley-oops, and building chemistry. That's why they aren't there, who in the right mind develops players, by playing them against NBA kick-outs, and rappers? At least in the Summer League, Bruno & co. are playing with hungry overseas players, rookies - talented ones at that - and talented, developing prospects. All playing under NBA coaches, systems, or trying to learn them. The Summer League isn't the biggest deal, but it's a taste, and that's incredibly important for the transition of young NBA players, and for guys to show and earn an opportunity.

Wouldn't it make some sense to at least try to surround your valuable rooks with players who understand basic basketball concepts like splitting screens? Or is that just me?
          Oh god, please, don't get me started. You say this, than go on and distinguish that Drew League isn't a place where they can develop important skills like ball-handling, shooting, and physical skills like conditioning and strength.

That whole conspiracy about the translator is nice, but, quite frankly, hearing Bruno talk to the media makes me cringe.

If the Raptors didn't want to take Summer League seriously, they should have still sent their rooks there. No pressure, learn under the same principles the original club uses, learn and develop the NBA game, use free time to work on individual skills, and get attuned with the future young teammates. What in the right mind would you rather send Bruno to the drew league over the Summer League? Oh my god, lol, I literally laughed so hard. Can you imagine Bruno catching an alley-oop from 'The Game?' hahah, never mind, totally send Bruno there.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

It would appear.

Summer League is not about winning games in the big picture.

I think you're worried too much about Reggie Miller. You should look at some of the other top 19 draft picks and see how they did in Summer League. Bruno showed he was more than the "2 years away from 2 years away" tagline. In that regard summer league was a success and that is all that matters.

Bebe was playing his first ball in nearly 2 months. He was rusty and showed what we all knew: he is an intriguing work in progress.

I'm really confused. Is this the first time you watched/followed Summer League? What did you expect?

Do you remember what JV did his first two summers in the league? He played summer league, worked out with the team in Toronto, then joined national team.

What are Bruno and Bebe doing this summer? They played summer league and are now working out with McKechnie in BC. Same plan.

Why don't the vets (2+ year players) do this? My guess is they have their programs, know how to do them, and know what is expected of them. Coaches will likely drop by to check on them from time to time and gauge their progress or workout with them.

We're all entitled to our own opinions but with all due respect I feel you're overreacting.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
              Really glad to see this. I was a little worried that Jonas was becoming a little separated from the team, since in addition to getting overlooked on the court, he didn't go to the Jays game with the other players and none of them came to his wedding.

But if DD and co invited him to the Drew League it's a great sign.

Raps in Philippines, Raps in Drew League, Rap WORLD TAKEOVER 2015!
              Where are you getting this information?

Comment

I'm not sure how much the Raptors didn't take it seriously as much as they just played terribly as a team; and that's not really an uncommon thing for NBA summer league.

The concept of the tournament is for each team to select almost randomly (outside of their own picks) a dozen players plucked from all over the basketball landscape (lottery picks, 2nd rounders, undrafted players altogether, d league guys, journeymen looking for one more shot, europeans, overseas players), you give them a couple practices that week to get ready, and brand it as an NBA product… oh, and the entire group of players from all teams combined (outside of the guys already with a contract) are playing for probably 8-10 NBA roster spots for the following season. It's not exactly a breeding ground for beautiful basketball.

I guess some teams take it more seriously than others. I know the Kings - who won it this year in Vegas - were adamant that their 'culture change' of success should apply to all facets of the organization, and were very motivated throughout the whole thing. Most teams just shrug and use it as a way to get their first round guys a taste of the action without giving much thought to roster composition or wins/losses. I do agree it was terrible basketball and hard to watch though.
                Last edited by Fully; Mon Jul 28, 2014, 11:30 AM.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                  Lol

jonas!
                  I got a feeling JV is going to end up on a Youtube poster with some streetballer trying to jump over him, a la VC/Frederick Weis.

Comment

CalibreMC wrote: View Post
                    Where are you getting this information?
                    Obsessive-compulsive following of Raps news. IIRC, the Jays team outing was the same day as some annual Lithuanian happening, so Val had a valid reason not to go. And one or two of the coaches showed to the wedding, but still.

Getting invited to the Drew League as a foreigner is instant cred though.

Comment

Scraptor wrote: View Post
                      Obsessive-compulsive following of Raps news. IIRC, the Jays team outing was the same day as some annual Lithuanian happening, so Val had a valid reason not to go. And one or two of the coaches showed to the wedding, but still.

Getting invited to the Drew League as a foreigner is instant cred though.
                      This made me look at the pictures of his wedding. Glad to see nav there.

Comment

Baron Davis breaks Terrence Ross' ankles. LOL.

Comment

Terrence, Jonas & Amir gang up on "The Blue Baron"

Comment

MWP looks on while Jonas puts a stop to Money Mike

Comment

Working...
                            X