ESPN Insider Mock Draft 2.0 - Raptors select Bradley Beal at #5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nilanka wrote: View Post
    I am sooooo intrigued by the idea of Beal playing point.
    I wouldn't put much stock into that idea. He played between the SG and SF positions in college ... he definitely has a good handle for a SG, but running a team at PG anytime soon would be a stretch. Him knocking Demar into a 6th man role? More likely.
    The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

I really like the idea of picking Beal but what do you guys think about the quality of small forwards in free agency this summer? Outside of Wallace and Batum the quality really takes a dip, so you gotta wonder if this draft which is rich with small forwards is the best opportunity for the Raptors to acquire a quality SF and firm up that position going forward AND on the cheap to boot.

Is it better to draft a good SF prospect and go forward with an decent SG like Demar or to draft a really good SG prospect like Beal and go forward with a average to below average SF like JJ/Kleiza?

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
        I really like the idea of picking Beal but what do you guys think about the quality of small forwards in free agency this summer? Outside of Wallace and Batum the quality really takes a dip, so you gotta wonder if this draft which is rich with small forwards is the best opportunity for the Raptors to acquire a quality SF and firm up that position going forward AND on the cheap to boot.

Is it better to draft a good SF prospect and go forward with an decent SG like Demar or to draft a really good SG prospect like Beal and go forward with a average to below average SF like JJ/Kleiza?
        I don't think we should be drafting based on need. We should be drafting BPA. We need a SF but if the BPA is Beals and he's a SG we go with it. We can get our SF from a trade. It doesn't have to be a free agent.

If DeMar becomes redundant we can move him for a SF. I don't like the idea of drafting a SF just because we need one.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          I don't think we should be drafting based on need. We should be drafting BPA. We need a SF but if the BPA is Beals and he's a SG we go with it. We can get our SF from a trade. It doesn't have to be a free agent.

If DeMar becomes redundant we can move him for a SF. I don't like the idea of drafting a SF just because we need one.
          +1 (minus the part of moving DeRozan to SF)

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
            think DeRozan with about 10-15lbs of muscle could move to the 3?
            Yes, Bowens defensive player awards eight seasons in a row at the 3 while weighing 30lbs less than DeRozan's current mass.

To me, I don't care how it jives with DeRozan. Draft the best guy and sort it out later. If DeRozan has to go then unfortunately so be it. I do think they would slide him over to the 3 though.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
              Yes, Bowens defensive player awards eight seasons in a row at the 3 while weighing 30lbs less than DeRozan's current mass.
              Agreed.

Although weight is important, it's not as important as innate defensive instincts (something DeRozan doesn't have). He can gain 40 lbs, and still be a sub-par defender (at either the 2 or 3).

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post

So if Thomas Robinson or Andre Drummond are on the board we chose one of them? Both those players are currently projected to go before Beal and yet our NEED is a wing player.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                  I wouldn't say you stand corrected - yet. The measurements at the combine are always interesting because agents and players certainly inflate their numbers in the build up.

I've heard other analysts refer to Gordon in talking about Beal.

I think a big issue Beal had playing in Florida was the 3 guard starting line up they rolled with. Walker and Boynton were hardly pass first and they were the senior and junior with Beal being the rook.
                  Lol, for Walker and Boynton 'pass' was definitiely not in either of their vocabularies.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                    So if Thomas Robinson or Andre Drummond are on the board we chose one of them? Both those players are currently projected to go before Beal and yet our NEED is a wing player.
                    That depends on what projections you are going by.

There is still a long way to go in the draft process with the combine, individual workouts, and interviews.

Comment

ogitheserb wrote: View Post
                      Burke's stayin in school at Michigan
                      There goes them plans!

Comment

You can't definitely say that either of those two players will be better than Beal. Drummond is just not very good, and Robinson (who I like a lot) is an undersized PF. Why draft at these positions when Beal can easily be better and can help our team right away, rather than having another project at 4 or 5...that's the last thing we need.

Comment

If we're talking about avoiding projects, the only players in the top 10 who wouldn't be considered projects, are Beal and Barnes (IMO).

Comment

So much of the draft is based on potential.

Harrison Barnes did not live up to the hype and potential that many had for him this season after he started so slow last season. He also showed considerable weakness in his game when Marshall went out.

Picking Barnes at 5 with the justification that, "Well last year he was projected to go top 3 the last 2 years" is like trading for a injured centre two years removed from all-star level play thinking he is going to return to form.... wait a second, that sounds familiar. As circumstances change, opinions change.

FWIW, if MKG and Beal are off the board, I could live with his selection.
                            Agreed, however he also plays for UNC and we have seen some of their players in the past transition well to the NBA as the system they play doesn't always flatter their individual game. Vince was very much like that when he went to UNC. The fact remains that he improved his numbers from year 1 to year 2 (outside of rebounding but they had Henson and Zeller).

I'm not the biggest Barnes fan however if he kills it in pre-draft workouts I feel his name will rise again because physically he is more impressive or prototypical than the other wing players (Beal, MKG, etc).
                            Last edited by sleepz; Thu Apr 12, 2012, 12:08 PM.

Comment

That depends on what projections you are going by.

There is still a long way to go in the draft process with the combine, individual workouts, and interviews.
                              Well that is sort of my point and maybe I'm not translating thought to writing properly. But when you're in a situation where you're drafting in the range the Raptors will be where there is no clear ranking of who is better than the other, and you're looking at a bunch of players that all have the ability to be stars then should you not base your pick on need? The only thing the combines will clarify are size and athletecism which will improve the stocks of guys like Drummond and Barnes and perhaps hurt that of Beal and Robinson being that they are a bit undersized to play at their position in Robinson's case or a bit less athletic than other SG's in Beals case. Theres always other intangibles like leadership, intellect etc which you can gather from interviews, but their isn't a clear cut heirarchy in the the range we will likely be drafting imo.

Comment

BallaBalla wrote: View Post
                                You can't definitely say that either of those two players will be better than Beal. Drummond is just not very good, and Robinson (who I like a lot) is an undersized PF. Why draft at these positions when Beal can easily be better and can help our team right away, rather than having another project at 4 or 5...that's the last thing we need.
                                Doesn't that imply you are drafting based on a need at that position and not necessarily the best player available?

Comment

Working...
                                X