Lowry sitting with "back spasms"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

golden wrote: View Post
    These arguments along the lines of "we-need-this-guy or we-need-that-guy to make Lowry effective", just don't make any sense. First of all, Lowry simply isn't elite enough on offense or defense to start planning your entire roster around. You would just be repeating the exact same mistake you made with Bargs for the last 3+ years with Lowry. Secondly, I thought great players were supposed to make lesser players better, and not vice versa?
    +1

So much good in this post (I imagine using Bargnani as a reference will not go over well though.)

This team needs a rebuild. Clean the slate. Don't keep making similar moves as the past. If Lowry gets kept in the process then thats fine, if he doesn't, thats fine to. But this team shouldn't be making personel decisions based on him. They don't need anything specific because they have Lowry, their needs and talents and players they chase should be regardless of Lowry.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
      Early in the season Lowry was putting up some sick statlines, but the team wasn't winning. I have no doubt that Lowry can get his, but that doesn't necessarily make his team better/successful, which I think is the problem with players like him.
      1st game: Lowry, 6 of 11. Demar 5 of 14, Bargnani, 4 of 15, JV, 6 of 15, Fields, 0 of 6
      2nd game: Lowry, 9 of 19. JV, 1 of 4, Fields, 1 of 4, Calderon, 1 of 5, Bargnani 3 rebs
      Sac, Lowry's biggest game: Lowry, 34 pts, 9 of 20. Bargnani, 3 of 14 3 rebs, Demar 7 of 16, JV, 1 of 4

Why do you think they were losing?

Given Calderon makes other players better, but what if he cant get the ball to the other guys? Can he score on his own? Take his man off the dribble? If his bigs have off nights, can he pick up the slack? The problem with pass first PGs is that precisely, you know theyre going to pass first. Very predictable. And we've seen this the past couple of games, when Jose goes deep in the shot clock because all the other players were heavily defended. Last night Demar had to take 2 i think even 3 end of the clock 3s because Calderon couldnt find anybody to pass to.
      Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Tue Jan 29, 2013, 12:45 PM.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
        1st game: Lowry, 6 of 11. Demar 5 of 14, Bargnani, 4 of 15, JV, 6 of 15, Fields, 0 of 6
        2nd game: Lowry, 9 of 19. JV, 1 of 4, Fields, 1 of 4, Calderon, 1 of 5, Bargnani 3 rebs
        Sac, Lowry's biggest game: Lowry, 34 pts, 9 of 20. Bargnani, 3 of 14 3 rebs, Demar 7 of 16, JV, 1 of 4

Why do you think they were losing?
        Enough, enough... make it stop!!! Yikes, those were some UGLY shooting percentages!

Bargnani, DeRozan and Lowry all seem to be inefficient, volume scorers who have severe deficiencies in other parts of their game. Trade 'em all and let a real rebuild begin.

Comment

It's time for this franchise to use their talent to the best of their abilities. Lowry dropped from a top 10 point guard - underrated mind you - to being a injury-prone, lacking point guard.

Demar played better with an attacking Lowry. The team overall was playing better, with wins and losses are no excuse, but health with other players and on-court chemistry was still being developed. The only time Lowry is being asked to be him, is when this team is down 20+, where they ask him to play your so called 'hero-ball'. We have more losses with Lowry because we ask him to take the burden of bringing our team back in a dead game, which quite frankly doesn't always happen.

I don't want Lowry traded, I want the coach fired if the players aren't used to the best of their abilities. It's a little sad, but Triano was pretty good at trying to get development for the young players, and they all continued to get better. This example same goes for Ross who doesn't play extended minutes, and Ed Davis who is on the FUCKING bench near the end of games...

Lowry was Lowry when the season started, now Casey calls Lowry; Lowry w/ a pinch of Jose. I love Jose, but we aren't going to get anywhere with him at the helm of our team for the future.
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Enough, enough... make it stop!!! Yikes, those were some UGLY shooting percentages!

Bargnani, DeRozan and Lowry all seem to be inefficient, volume scorers who have severe deficiencies in other parts of their game. Trade 'em all and let a real rebuild begin.
            hahahaha

I think its fairly obvious that im a Lowry fan, even during his Memphis and Houston days. The guy goes all out, balls out when he plays. It may have disadvantages but IMO those are highly outweighed by what he brings to the table.

I say let him play his game, get talent with (not around) him and see what he can do. Its his first year on a team that has no identity plus he essentially entered a situation that he just left with his former team (PG controversy). Really doesnt help the guy out positively.

The problem is, the team keeps coddling Jose when there is a PG controversy, and where has Jose taken this team? How bout letting Jose get the ugly brunt of the PG controversy stick this time and let the other guy win for a change. Cant get any worse.
            Last edited by TheGloveinRapsUniform; Tue Jan 29, 2013, 01:00 PM.

Comment

These arguments along the lines of "we-need-this-guy or we-need-that-guy to make Lowry effective", just don't make any sense. First of all, Lowry simply isn't elite enough on offense or defense to start planning your entire roster around. You would just be repeating the exact same mistake you made with Bargs for the last 3+ years with Lowry. Secondly, I thought great players were supposed to make lesser players better, and not vice versa?
              It's not the argument, it's more like a fortunate by-product of doing this very good thing for the franchise and it doesn't stop there. Adding Gay will make pretty much everyone else on the team better, except for I guess the dudes that he will replace (Fields, Kleiza, Anderson).

This is nothing like building around Bargnani. With Bargnani we had to acquire players who were fundamentally flawed in order to make up for Bargs deficiencies, which were a-plenty.

Edit: It's quite possible I'm in the wrong thread..
              your pal,
              ebrian

Comment

I dont believe that the Raps need to acquire certain types of players to make Lowry effective. IMO, let Lowry play his game and that will make him effective. Stop trying to mold him into something he's not, something that the Raptors are NOTORIOUS for doing, i.e. Bargnani, Turk, Bosh, Bayless.

I agree with this, you dont plan your roster around him, but rather with him. I agree that this was a big mistake they did with Bargnani and Bosh and i hope they dont ever try that again, unless they get a Lebron or Durant type player.

Lowry is not a great player, but rather IMO, a very good, way above average player. And thats also been a problem for the Raps, holding on to "lesser players" as you say and passing them off as very good players. With or without Lowry, the Raptors shouldnt be pinning their hopes on a player trying to make other players better, they should get players who can play on their own, and not always wait for a pass.

Comment

Early in the season Lowry was putting up some sick statlines, but the team wasn't winning. I have no doubt that Lowry can get his, but that doesn't necessarily make his team better/successful, which I think is the problem with players like him.
                  You're right, the team wasn't winning (ignoring the fact that it was early, the roster was brand new, and very little chemistry existed in general). But I'm referring to a situation where the team is blown up, guys like DeRozan, Bargnani, Calderon, Kleiza, and one of Amir/Davis are shipped, and players that fit a ball-dominant PG's style are brought in.

There's no denying Lowry's talent. It's his decision-making that needs work. IMO, that's still salvageable.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    You're right, the team wasn't winning (ignoring the fact that it was early, the roster was brand new, and very little chemistry existed in general). But I'm referring to a situation where the team is blown up, guys like DeRozan, Bargnani, Calderon, Kleiza, and one of Amir/Davis are shipped, and players that fit a ball-dominant PG's style are brought in.

There's no denying Lowry's talent. It's his decision-making that needs work. IMO, that's still salvageable.
                    I don't deny his talent, but I've been quite disappointed with him overall. His defense has not been anything close to what I was expecting (far from a lock-down defender at the PG position), his scoring has been inconsistent and I haven't been impressed with his attitude. My biggest fear is that he not only wants to win, but wants to win while being the focal point of the team. I'm concerned that whether it's Bargnani/DeRozan, or Rudy Gay or whoever else, that Lowry won't be happy being anything but the #1 guy.

I'm just weighing the options. Yes he's good and young and cheap and could blossom into something amazing. Or he could become a more talented Bayless 2.0. Unless you're feeling 90%+ that it's going to be option 1, then it might make sense to explore the option of trading him now, before the shine wears off his reputation and before he signs a hefty new contract.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                      And then Calderon reverts back to his 'normal' self which we saw last night.
                      That seems a bit unfair. He has played very well for an extended period of time. He didn't have a great shooting night and made a few bad decisions, don't think it is necessary to throw him under the bus for a bad game. What aren't you throwing the guys who missed all their shots under the bus as well.

Comment

Funny thing is, Lowry's TS% this season is the highest of his career. So, if you think this is inefficient, well, management had the data showing it would almost assuredly be worse.

Comment

My point is more this: why trade a lottery pick for a guy in his prime with 2 years left on his deal if you aren't going to use him properly or play him in a system that benefits him? You aren't going to change a guy like Lowry. He is what he is. Lowry is, in fact, playing some of the best ball of his career and no one is happy with him. That's fine but it makes you wonder what the hell Colangelo was thinking when he did this deal in the first place.

Comment

Lowry is a proven player in this league. Lets not compare him to Jerryd Bayless.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

I don't deny his talent, but I've been quite disappointed with him overall. His defense has not been anything close to what I was expecting (far from a lock-down defender at the PG position), his scoring has been inconsistent and I haven't been impressed with his attitude. My biggest fear is that he not only wants to win, but wants to win while being the focal point of the team. I'm concerned that whether it's Bargnani/DeRozan, or Rudy Gay or whoever else, that Lowry won't be happy being anything but the #1 guy.

I'm just weighing the options. Yes he's good and young and cheap and could blossom into something amazing. Or he could become a more talented Bayless 2.0. Unless you're feeling 90%+ that it's going to be option 1, then it might make sense to explore the option of trading him now, before the shine wears off his reputation and before he signs a hefty new contract.
                              I've been disappointed too, and I'm not at all opposed to trading him.

But I'm also very intrigued by a Lowry/Gay reunion.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
                                That seems a bit unfair. He has played very well for an extended period of time. He didn't have a great shooting night and made a few bad decisions, don't think it is necessary to throw him under the bus for a bad game. What aren't you throwing the guys who missed all their shots under the bus as well.
                                You don't recall Calderon's play after he 'won' the faceoff with TJ, Jack, and Lowry?

Cut. The. Cord.

Moving. On.

Comment

Working...
                                X