No announcement yet.

Lowry sitting with "back spasms"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would anyone be interested in acquiring Eric Bledsoe as our main point guard in the future? I think we have some pieces that could maybe work, it's really stretching it, but it's still a possibility.

Comment

serbiantiger8 wrote: View Post
      Would anyone be interested in acquiring Eric Bledsoe as our main point guard in the future? I think we have some pieces that could maybe work, it's really stretching it, but it's still a possibility.
      Not as long as CP3 does not have an extension signed.

Comment

CT2010 wrote: View Post
        That seems a bit unfair. He has played very well for an extended period of time. He didn't have a great shooting night and made a few bad decisions, don't think it is necessary to throw him under the bus for a bad game. What aren't you throwing the guys who missed all their shots under the bus as well.
        Matt52 wrote: View Post
        You don't recall Calderon's play after he 'won' the faceoff with TJ, Jack, and Lowry?

Cut. The. Cord.

Moving. On.
        Further to this, Calderon's value around the league on full display:

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

In engagement of 3rd teams for possible Rudy Gay-to-Toronto deal, Raptors struggling to find landing spot for Jose Calderon, sources tell Y!

Comment

Further to this, Calderon's value around the league on full display:
          I think he has value, just not at $10.6M, without giving back any big/bad contracts.

I could still see any trade for Gay evolving to include a team like the Lakers (which might bring another team if Toronto doesn't want Gasol) or Boston, as potential ultimate landing spots for Calderon. I don't see many other likely teams.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I think he has value, just not at $10.6M, without giving back any big/bad contracts.

I could still see any trade for Gay evolving to include a team like the Lakers (which might bring another team if Toronto doesn't want Gasol) or Boston, as potential ultimate landing spots for Calderon. I don't see many other likely teams.
            Calderon's contract is over half paid now.

Lets not kid ourselves on Jose's value. Just like Bargnani, everyone knows what he is. The difference is Raptor fans continue to think he has much more value than he actually does.

The problem is whatever team takes Jose will be sending assets to Memphis. Memphis is going to want to stay as competitive or more competitive with a stronger bench/rotation.

The Lakers have no assets to trade.
            The Celtics assets are likely of little interest to Memphis.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              My point is more this: why trade a lottery pick for a guy in his prime with 2 years left on his deal if you aren't going to use him properly or play him in a system that benefits him? You aren't going to change a guy like Lowry. He is what he is. Lowry is, in fact, playing some of the best ball of his career and no one is happy with him. That's fine but it makes you wonder what the hell Colangelo was thinking when he did this deal in the first place.
              We may not agree on Gay, but we're definitely on the same page with Lowry. We've all seen what he can do when he plays his game, why change that???? Casey isnt satisfied with 8 asts per game?? Common now.

Comment

Lets not kid ourselves on Jose's value. Just like Bargnani, everyone knows what he is. The difference is Raptor fans continue to think he has much more value than he actually does.

The problem is whatever team takes Jose will be sending assets to Memphis. Memphis is going to want to stay as competitive or more competitive with a stronger bench/rotation.

Jose fans will now say us who like Lowry overvalue Lowry in the same manner.

How is it different?

Comment

well it appears the raps are now looking for a third team to take Jose to complete a GAY trade..

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap..._Take_Calderon

https://twitter.com/WojYahooNBA/stat...27658822840320

if this is true maybe Jose's value will soon be seen, it seems there struggling to find a taker for jose
                  Last edited by DoNDaDDa; Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:46 PM.

Comment

I meant that more from a salary-matching perspective in trade, as opposed to actual dollar value.

If the Raps are gung-ho to make a trade and Calderon isn't generating enough return, I could see them turning to Lowry as the trade asset instead.

I actually thought that Memphis might value decent young players on super cheap contracts, that Boston could offer (Sullinger, Bradley, Melo). Davis & Sullinger could be good insurance for Gasol & Randolph. Such a deal would also make Arthur expendable, possibly to be used in a subsequent trade for a wing (ie: I wonder if Arthur to Denver for Chandler could work for both Denver & Memphis).
                    Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Tue Jan 29, 2013, 03:27 PM.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                      Jose fans will now say us who like Lowry overvalue Lowry in the same manner.

How is it different?
                      Trump card: Jose has been on the block for 3-4 years and has led Toronto nowhere.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        I meant that more from a salary-matching perspective in trade, as opposed to actual dollar value.

If the Raps are gung-ho to make a trade and Calderon isn't generating enough return, I could see them turning to Lowry as the trade asset instead.

I actually thought that Memphis might value decent young players on super cheap contracts, that Boston could offer (Sullinger, Bradley, Melo). Davis & Sullinger could be good insurance for Gasol & Randolph. Such a deal would also make Arthur expendable, possibly to be used in a subsequent trade for a wing (ie: I wonder if Arthur to Denver for Chandler could work for both Denver & Memphis).
                        That is where I now want no part of Gay. If Lowry is gone, getting Gay makes even less sense than it could now be argued.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                          My point is more this: why trade a lottery pick for a guy in his prime with 2 years left on his deal if you aren't going to use him properly or play him in a system that benefits him? You aren't going to change a guy like Lowry. He is what he is. Lowry is, in fact, playing some of the best ball of his career and no one is happy with him. That's fine but it makes you wonder what the hell Colangelo was thinking when he did this deal in the first place.
                          Couldn't agree more. Devlin and Jack Armstrong went on for a couple of minutes during last night's broadcast on how bad Lowry has been coming off the bench. I checked the game logs for the last 15 games, the ones where he's the backup, and he's averaging 16.5 points and 8.8 assists per 36 minutes (my calculations). And he's shooting 45% from three. That's GOOD! I also compared his Per 36 minutes stats with Damian Lillard, for example, he seems to be everybody's favourite, and Lowry's are better across the board. Lowry's played well this year considering the circumstances. We need to move on from the Calderon era. And I want a crappy point guard to back Lowry up (wait, we already have one). I'm tired of point guard controversies.
                          Last edited by Michel G; Tue Jan 29, 2013, 05:41 PM.

Comment

That is where I now want no part of Gay. If Lowry is gone, getting Gay makes even less sense than it could now be argued.
                            +1

Comment

Michel G wrote: View Post
                              Couldn't agree more. Devlin and Jack Armstrong went on for a couple of minutes during last night's broadcast on how bad Lowry has been coming off the bench. I checked the game logs for the last 15 games, the ones where he's the backup, and he's averaging 16.5 points and 8.8 assists per 36 minutes (my calculations). And he's shooting 45% from three. That's GOOD! I also compared his Per 36 minutes stats with Damian Lillard, for example, he seems to be everybody's favourite, and Lowry's are better across the board. Lowry's played well this year considering the circumstances. We need to move on from the Calderon era. And I want a crappy point guard to back Lowry up (wait, we already have one). I'm tired of point guard controversies.
                              To them, Lowry was bad because he is not Jose Calderon.

Matt and Jack, i think more Jack in particular, i think, both have affinity for guys who are team-oriented, nice and clean cut guys. And Jack is very old school. So i guess to them, Lowry's bullish, aggressive type of play wont get it done.

Comment

TheGloveinRapsUniform wrote: View Post
                                To them, Lowry was bad because he is not Jose Calderon.

Matt and Jack, i think more Jack in particular, i think, both have affinity for guys who are team-oriented, nice and clean cut guys. And Jack is very old school. So i guess to them, Lowry's bullish, aggressive type of play wont get it done.
                                I don't completely agree with your assessment. I think a lot of people - myself included - see the primary responsibility of a PG to be that of a true floor general, who initiates the offense and gets the entire team going in the team's offensive flow. Obviously Calderon is much better and getting more out of each player and the 5-man unit than Lowry. I think PGs like Lowry are better served as 2nd unit PGs, where their scoring ability can often take centre stage. The problem with the starting PG being too scoring-centric, is that sometimes the rest of the team's offense stagnates and it winds up being 1-on-5 offensively.

I agree that it's an old-school approach, but I think it's more the pass-first VS score-first style of PG debate. I don't think the "nice and clean cut guys" factors into their analysis though.

Comment

Working...
                                X