Clear All

• 10-11 Starting Five Will Show Vastly Improved Defense

Projected Starting Five if the two trades go through as indicated

PF - Johnson
    Ct - Bargnani
    SF - Diaw
    SG - DeRozan
    PG - Jack

This should be a pretty darn good defensive unit. The two biggest weaknesses in it that I see are

1. DeRozan's lack of experience - Though he will continue to get better in this area with more experience and the addition of Carlesimo

2. Bargnani's horrible help defense - Playing alongside Diaw and Johnson will help compensate tremendously for this weakness

So we should see a significantly improved defense in the starting five form 2010-11

As far as the offense goes.

Diaw will be a plus to Turkoglu
    Johnson of course will not come near Bosh's numbers however I think that he should be able to average 12-14 ppg as a starter in 10-11. As far as the other 10 points I think Diaw, DeRozan and Bargnani will pick up most of it if not even more so. I can see DeRozan averaging 15 plus in 2010-11

Of course more trades may yet come.
    Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
    Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Buddahfan wrote: View Post
    This should be a pretty darn good defensive unit.
    Aside from Diaw, isn't this a line-up we've seen before? Is Diaw's defense so good that he'd turn the rest of these guys into "pretty darn good" defenders? Isn't there a source where we could get defensive numbers on the line-up:

Jack/DeRozan/Turk/Bargs/Amir

I'd like to see how good/bad they were as a group and then get an idea of what substituting Turk for Diaw would do. I can't see how Diaw would make that much difference.

Comment

I don't see Derozan starting because we know that Jack has a score-first mentality, so it would make sense to have Barbosa as a distributing SG in the starting line-up.

Comment

Ok, on the topic of Bargnani's help defense. I'm not really sure people realize just how terrible Triano's defensive schemes were. On what planet is it reasonable to expect your centre to flash out on corner threes? Unfortunately for the Raptors, we the NBA is played on planet Earth.

Bargnani was a fantastic man defender and that's all I'll be judging him on until I see a defensive scheme that isn't totally ridiculous. When Bargs is allowed to park in the paint like Perkins, I'll start critiquing his help.

Comment

Our defensive line-up would likely be

Chandler -C
          Davis -PF
          Diaw - SF
          Weems - Sg
          Barbosa - PG

Comment

The biggest improvement for the raptors is their athletic ability. Raptors are athletic at each position now. The only question mark is going to be whats the line up look like

Starters: Jack, Weems, Diaw, Andre, Chandler
            Key reserves: Derozan, Kleiza, Amir, Davis and Barbosa

I think we all can agree Weems is a little more mature then Derozan currently. Diaw is the facilitator with andre the scorer and Chandler defensive stopper. Very athletic lineup if Diaw comes in shape
            The bench looks to be ultra athletic and should bring a tonne of energy. This raps team is going to be run and gun

Comment

Frankthetank wrote: View Post
              The biggest improvement for the raptors is their athletic ability. Raptors are athletic at each position now. The only question mark is going to be whats the line up look like

Starters: Jack, Weems, Diaw, Andre, Chandler
              Key reserves: Derozan, Kleiza, Amir, Davis and Barbosa

I think we all can agree Weems is a little more mature then Derozan currently. Diaw is the facilitator with andre the scorer and Chandler defensive stopper. Very athletic lineup if Diaw comes in shape
              The bench looks to be ultra athletic and should bring a tonne of energy. This raps team is going to be run and gun
              I still am worried about jacks defense.

Comment

Jacks defense will have to improve but with weems in the starting line up you could switch weems onto ROse and Jack then cover Korver. This would cover up Jacks weakness against fast athletic point guards etc. rose, wall, rondo, westbrook. I'm interested too see Bargni at his natural position and see how the combo of Chandler and Bargni do defensively. THis is making for an exciting year and only time will tell how this works out. I think were a whole lot closer to being a good team then before the summer started.

Comment

I cant believe charlotte got us to take diaw what a joke a guy who cant rebound is soft and just hangs on the perimeter no toughness him and bargnani on the floor at the same time and were getting laughed at and diaw is way too slow to guard threes.

Comment

Working...
                  X