The Raptors and the 2014 Draft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Is wrote: View Post
    Thats not an accurate comparison. San Antonio EARNED that respect (they've proven to have the best scouts in the NBA). Toronto hasn't.
    That's fair.

Regardless, rumors coming out today put him on a few teams radar in the 20+ range, so I don't think it's as big a reach as people originally thought.

In any case, I'd rather trust the guy who went from scouting to a GM job than the guy who went from scouting to being ESPN's international correspondant (because honestly, ESPN is 100% clueless over any prospect outside the NCAA).

Comment

• We scrapped the 2014 draft for this guy I don't want him to be a bust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Why Masai Ujiri really drafted Bruno Caboclo (theory)

I did some research on Masai Ujiri and i found out he is a huge promoter for a program called basketball without borders. He is actually the director of the NBA's Basketball Without Borders program and i think he wanted to give the program a little shine. I cannot count how many times he stated that he found this kid at the basketball without borders camp/tournament and how he was the MVP of a tourney. This is not the first time he did as he was a strong influence in getting fellow African Solomon alabi to the raptors who didn't pan out. Obviously the kid from Brazil has potential i mean he's 18 with a 7"7 wingspan and some skills. Masai will do everything to make sure this kid develops into a star therefore putting basketball without borders on the map. I don't really mind what Masai did as long as this kid does come thru. i doubt he will ever be a Kevin Durant but I do see and hope he can be a Brazilian Nicholas Batum. Masai took a big risk taking this kid but i do trust him i mean he is the guy who drafted faried with the 20th pick. All i can say is this is gonna be one of the most interesting summer leagues to ever watch as a raptors fan lol cant wait

Comment

• Already been talked about

Comment

• Also .. people should realize that we drafted him with the 20th pick, not 1st

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Comment

• Would you guys give our 2016 first rounder for Ennis, and maybe a second rounder too?

Comment

• JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
                Would you guys give our 2016 first rounder for Ennis, and maybe a second rounder too?

I like Ennis a lot and I'd still have a hard time paying that price....but maybe.

The question is, what did PHX want? PHX is saying they want Ennis, but I fully believe it was a power move to pick him and hope they could fleece us of some future assets. I'm sure they're fine having him, but I don't know, I find it hard to believe he was the top guy on their board. Random speculation: like they probably wanted our 2015 1st, the NY/DEN 2016 1st and maybe a 2nd rounder or cash...

Comment

• white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                  I like Ennis a lot and I'd still have a hard time paying that price....but maybe.

The question is, what did PHX want? PHX is saying they want Ennis, but I fully believe it was a power move to pick him and hope they could fleece us of some future assets. I'm sure they're fine having him, but I don't know, I find it hard to believe he was the top guy on their board. Random speculation: like they probably wanted our 2015 1st, the NY/DEN 2016 1st and maybe a 2nd rounder or cash...
                  Yeah, their GM is a dealer and it was so obvious we wanted Ennis. Maybe they wanted Ross? That's my guess. But I would be okay with giving our 2016 1st rounder, since we already have New York's 1st rounder then, and ours might be in the 20s since I expect us to improve.

Comment

• Yes. He was drafted 20th. By then, everything's a crapshoot. You can pick a bust, or a gem, there's no guarantees, or any easy picks at all.

That being said, if Bruno can turn into a Nicholas Batum, I'm very happy with that for a 20th Pick. Batum is a skilled player in all aspects of the game.

Comment

I fully agree, but it doesn't change how shocking it was. Felt like waking up in an alternate dimension....with your pants off in a ditch....
                      That's how you wake up in other dimensions.

Comment

• Puffer wrote: View Post
                        That's how you wake up in other dimensions.
                        I'm confused...Watching the Raps pick Bruno Caboclo is how end up waking up in other dimensions? Or you can only wake up in other dimensions in a ditch with no pants?

I just want to be clear, because that youtube clip of our selection could be astonishingly powerful

Comment

• This kinda reminds me of the Damon Stoudamire draft lottery,where everyone wanted Ed O'Bannon,but raptors pick Damon. This year everyone wanted Ennis,well he got picked up by suns,before the raptors could pick him,maybe this could be a blessing for raptors organization.What if raptors picked up Ennis and Bruno get's drafted by Spurs and becomes another star that spurs drafted late. Anyway I just think the ceiling is higher with Bruno,we know what Ennis will be a back up point guard at best. Everyone is gotta remember this kid is the youngest player 2 get drafter in this lottery year,his only 18 years of age. I don't know about u guys,but when u have San Antonio,Oklahoma City and Suns looking 2 pick him up late first rd,then u gotta think he might be worth first rd pick.
                          "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
                          My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

• Dr Hannibal Lecter wrote: View Post
                            This kinda reminds me of the Damon Stoudamire draft lottery,where everyone wanted Ed O'Bannon,but raptors pick Damon.
                            This year everyone wanted Ennis,well he got pick by suns,but this could be a blessing for raptors organization.What if raptors picked up Ennis and Bruno get's drafted by Spurs and becomes another star that spurs drafted late. Anyway I just think the ceiling is higher with Bruno,we know what Ennis will be a back up point guard at best. Everyone is gotta remember this kid is the youngest player 2 get drafter in this lottery year,his only 18 years of age. I don't know about u guys,but when u have San Antonio,Oklahoma City and Suns looking 2 pick him up late first rd,then u gotta think he might be worth first rd pick.
                            There's no way to know for sure, but if Ennis fell, the Raps very likely would've also gotten Caboclo, and thus the best of both worlds. The rumoured deal with Memphis was apparently real, but taken off the table when PHX took Ennis and Toronto couldn't get him before having to make their selection.

I also don't know why everyone assumes Ennis is a backup PG. That's his floor to me, not his ceiling. And it may be his most likely case. However everyone is acting like just because he isn't a spectacular athlete he would never manage starting as a PG. Well he's incredibly poised, clutch, a great passer and doesn't turn the ball over a lot.

Lots of great PGs have lacked tremendous physical tools. Steve Nash (15th pick) and John Stockton (16th pick)...Billups won a ring and Finals MVP. Jose is still a capable starter with worse tools than any of them. I'm sure there are a bunch more, just like there are surely examples of guys without great tools never being special. I do think though that with Ennis' mental makeup and basketball skills he has a legit shot, even if it's a slim one, to be one of the better PGs in the league, say top 10.

**I feel like people forget that his own college coach said Ennis was never supposed to even be their starter this year.
                            Last edited by white men can't jump; Sat Jun 28, 2014, 12:18 AM.

Comment

There's no way to know for sure, but if Ennis fell, the Raps very likely would've also gotten Caboclo, and thus the best of both worlds. The rumoured deal with Memphis was apparently real, but taken off the table when PHX took Ennis and Toronto couldn't get him before having to make their selection.

I also don't know why everyone assumes Ennis is a backup PG. That's his floor to me, not his ceiling. And it may be his most likely case. However everyone is acting like just because he isn't a spectacular athlete he would never manage starting as a PG. Well he's incredibly poised, clutch, a great passer and doesn't turn the ball over a lot.

Lots of great PGs have lacked tremendous physical tools. Steve Nash (15th pick) and John Stockton (16th pick)...Billups won a ring and Finals MVP. Jose is still a capable starter with worse tools than any of them. I'm sure there are a bunch more, just like there are surely examples of guys without great tools never being special. I do think though that with Ennis' mental makeup and basketball skills he has a legit shot, even if it's a slim one, to be one of the better PGs in the league, say top 10.

Agreed.

If Masaii is still trying to bring him in, then why not send a big and a pick to Phoenix? They lack depth at the PF position, and they lack intensity and toughness in the paint.

We can send them Hansbrough and a future 1st rounder to them for Ennis.
                              I know this may be a bit controversial but I think the Raptors have proven that they're the best team in the NBA from Canada
                              -random Facebook user. 2016

Comment

• Anyone else surprised we didn't draft a backup centre? We took 2 small forwards. I'm guessing free agency is where Masai is gonna look

Comment

Working...
                                X