What never was: Carter for Lin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Via HoopsHype.com:

Ironically, if Smith had been eligible to be signed two weeks ago, the Knicks probably would have cut Jeremy Lin for financial reasons because his contract wasn’t guaranteed and he hadn’t convinced D’Antoni he belonged in the mix. The Knicks pursued Smith for a couple of weeks and D’Antoni said they would be “very aggressive’’ in offering their $2.5 million cap room exception on him as they were looking to add his 3-point shooting ability. New York Post

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
      Why would we credit Colangelo?
      You're taking it out of context. My post was in response to a post criticizing Colangelo not trading Carter for Lin because Lin is obviously(yeah, now in hindsight) the better player. My point was that Colangelo identified a good target and persued said target. That's what you should want/expect as a fan. If he always does that then he's always doing his best to put the team in a good position. So my point was, don't slam him for not getting the trade done, give him props for identifying a good target that most hadn't identified. If you don't want to pat him on the back then fine, but it makes completely no sense to slam him for not getting the deal done.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
        You're taking it out of context. My post was in response to a post criticizing Colangelo not trading Carter for Lin because Lin is obviously(yeah, now in hindsight) the better player. My point was that Colangelo identified a good target and persued said target. That's what you should want/expect as a fan. If he always does that then he's always doing his best to put the team in a good position. So my point was, don't slam him for not getting the trade done, give him props for identifying a good target that most hadn't identified. If you don't want to pat him on the back then fine, but it makes completely no sense to slam him for not getting the deal done.
        But thats the point I'm making. As a GM I could say that I saw Rudy Gay play in his first few summer league games and knew he was going to be a player (as an example). I might also try to call the GM and make the trade for him but if no deal goes down whats the difference?

I'm sure Colangelo has tried to swing or contemplate bad deals and they didn't go through but he's not criticized for them, nor is there any report on them. The failed Matt Barnes signing is probably a good example of this. That deal not going through was probably a good thing in the end.

I just think we should reserve accolades for the GM based on the team he puts together, not what he might have put together or for what potential he saw in a player that he couldn't acquire, imho.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
          But thats the point I'm making. As a GM I could say that I saw Rudy Gay play in his first few summer league games and knew he was going to be a player (as an example). I might also try to call the GM and make the trade for him but if no deal goes down whats the difference?
          The difference here is no one criticized you in this thread for not being able to seal a deal in time even though it wasn't even established that he had more worth than Anthony Carter. Not to mention it was known that Lin was probably going to get cut anyway to make way for Baron Davis coming back and to sign one of Mike James or J.R. Smith(they just cut Balkman to make this happen, a guy who probably carried far more respect around the league than Lin only a couple weeks ago).

Comment

Working...
          X