20/20 Vision on DeRozan's contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20/20 Vision on DeRozan's contract

Hindsight. We finally get to use it. Right up until going on to lose a heartbreaker to the pacers on opening night, we all debated extension vs restricted free agency for DeMar. So, now that the money is starting be thrown around at restricted free agents and others, it's a chance to see where we may have been if Colangelo didn't hand out that contract (stop laughing...it could happen). Tyreke Evans getting offered $44 million plus. Comparable? Who else? I'm not asking if DD is worth the contract. That's been beaten elsewhere. Just what might we have been facing now if he wasn't extended?

We'd be facing the opportunity to let him walk instead of paying him too much for too little production.

Not a bad thing in my opinion.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
      We'd be facing the opportunity to let him walk instead of paying him too much for too little production.

Or use him in S&T to acquire a younger/cheaper/better player and/or one who plays a position of need and/or who fits with the rest of the Raptors roster better than he does - such as Dallas looking to S&T Mayo to LAC for Bledsoe, or Milwaukee looking to S&T Reddick to LAC for Bledsoe.

Comment

He would be a rfa and as such we have the right to match what the market would determine. In a way DD's contract is setting the market for Evans. As well...who is the better talent Tyreke Evans or DD? And this team lost flexibility by committing already to DD when it was done. I suppose the main reason for BC for doing this was he saw him as a core member of the team going forward. I did not and it seems he is in play by MU...but possibly constrained because of the contract.

Comment

He would have been signed and traded.

The Derozan deal and the Gay trade have puzzled me. Why did MLSE allow them to take place if they weren't sure about BC? They've put the team in a difficult position.
          Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post

The "opportunity" to do something stupid. Gotcha!

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            Or use him in S&T to acquire a younger/cheaper/better player and/or one who plays a position of need and/or who fits with the rest of the Raptors roster better than he does - such as Dallas looking to S&T Mayo to LAC for Bledsoe, or Milwaukee looking to S&T Reddick to LAC for Bledsoe.
            Could still be used the same way in a trade, only already signed with, based on Evans' deal, a far from out of line contract, but management gets to dictate where to trade him rather than restricted to his choices.

Bendit wrote: View Post
            He would be a rfa and as such we have the right to match what the market would determine. In a way DD's contract is setting the market for Evans. As well...who is the better talent Tyreke Evans or DD? And this team lost flexibility by committing already to DD when it was done. I suppose the main reason for BC for doing this was he saw him as a core member of the team going forward. I did not and it seems he is in play by MU...but possibly constrained because of the contract.
            " In a way DD's contract is setting the market for Evans."
            No

"As well...who is the better talent Tyreke Evans or DD?"
            Some would call that debatable, but that's not the topic. Evans got an offer of $1.5M/yr more than DD (another report had $2.5M/yr more), but we'll not know if DD may have gotten equal or more. Not only different skillsets, but apparently very different personalities/characters, and some teams value the DDs of the world more. In any case, if you feel Tyreke is worth more, then you should be happy that he's getting more, right?

"it seems he is in play by MU."

Did I miss something? Where has MU put him in play? You're not talking the Bledsoe speculation are you? Because nothing about that story says anything of the kind.
            Last edited by p00ka; Mon Jul 1, 2013, 10:46 PM.

Comment

" In a way DD's contract is setting the market for Evans."
              No

"As well...who is the better talent Tyreke Evans or DD?"
              Some would call that debatable, but that's not the topic. Evans got an offer of $1.5M/yr (another report had $2.5M/yr), but we'll not know if DD may have gotten equal or more. Not only different skillsets, but apparently very different personalities/characters, and some teams value the DDs of the world more. In any case, if you feel Tyreke is worth more, then you should be happy that he's getting more, right?

"it seems he is in play by MU."

Did I miss something? Where has MU put him in play? You're not talking the Bledsoe speculation are you? Because nothing about that story says anything of the kind.
              First bold: You didnt say why not? They are both SGs and DD got signed before TE so TE's agent worked off of that number plus ancillary items like current demand for TE and possibly stats (have not checked into that). Besides TE fancies himself as a PG as well I believe.

Second bold: Not going to quibble on this. Its what we do here...have opinions on players. The point was the early signing set a bar. And the more important one was it didnt need to be done. It has to do with the flexibility that was deprived the Raps not what TE ultimately is able to sign for. Due to many factors sometimes lesser players are able to sign larger contracts. eg. BC had enabled that quite liberally.

Third bold: I offer the following as an eg./basis for that statement. Possibility exists u dont read all the gossip:

"The Clippers, though, have been lukewarm on Toronto's pitches so far, sources say. The Raptors have been openly shopping out-of-favor forward Andrea Bargnani and have likewise pitched a trade scenario in which L.A. would receive both Bargnani and shooting guard DeMar DeRozan, but sources say that new Clippers coach Doc Rivers -- who was also named senior vice president of basketball operations -- continues to express interest in not only hanging onto Bledsoe but also keeping center DeAndre Jordan. ESPN.com"

....from the Hoopshype site

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                First bold: You didnt say why not? They are both SGs and DD got signed before TE so TE's agent worked off of that number plus ancillary items like current demand for TE and possibly stats (have not checked into that). Besides TE fancies himself as a PG as well I believe.

Second bold: Not going to quibble on this. Its what we do here...have opinions on players. The point was the early signing set a bar. And the more important one was it didnt need to be done. It has to do with the flexibility that was deprived the Raps not what TE ultimately is able to sign for. Due to many factors sometimes lesser players are able to sign larger contracts. eg. BC had enabled that quite liberally.

Third bold: I offer the following as an eg./basis for that statement. Possibility exists u dont read all the gossip:

"The Clippers, though, have been lukewarm on Toronto's pitches so far, sources say. The Raptors have been openly shopping out-of-favor forward Andrea Bargnani and have likewise pitched a trade scenario in which L.A. would receive both Bargnani and shooting guard DeMar DeRozan, but sources say that new Clippers coach Doc Rivers -- who was also named senior vice president of basketball operations -- continues to express interest in not only hanging onto Bledsoe but also keeping center DeAndre Jordan. ESPN.com"

....from the Hoopshype site
                1st & 2nd bold; I didn't explain because I think it's ridiculous to suggest one player's contract set the bar for another. The NBA isn't 30 mom & pop corner stores and negotiating contracts factors in many much more important factors than DDs contract.

3rd bold: Oh, I read most of the gossip, but just don't waste time taking them as more than anonymous speculation to stoke the passions of naive fans that need a fix. Some turn out to be true, but many not. If you wish to play along with that game, be my guest, but I'm saying I don't think it's fair to MU or DD or the Raps to be spouting it as truth.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
                  1st & 2nd bold; I didn't explain because I think it's ridiculous to suggest one player's contract set the bar for another. The NBA isn't 30 mom & pop corner stores and negotiating contracts factors in many much more important factors than DDs contract.

3rd bold: Oh, I read most of the gossip, but just don't waste time taking them as more than anonymous speculation to stoke the passions of naive fans that need a fix. Some turn out to be true, but many not. If you wish to play along with that game, be my guest, but I'm saying I don't think it's fair to MU or DD or the Raps to be spouting it as truth.
                  So, you do not believe that agents use all manner of statistics, standards and yes other players in the similar category of playing position as comparative points to negotiate a favorable contract? You should read more about labour/salary negotiations. Or are you trying to make the case that DD is not a valid comparable to TE?

On the second para: Are you sure you are not wasting your time tapping out condescending notes on a frivolous subject such as the misfortunes of the Raptors Basketball club and the skills or future prospects of Demar D.? Alas I am unlike you it seems restricted to sites like ESPN for my information. Even then I try to filter out the Stephen Smiths. You must have more pristine contacts.

Comment

Tyreke Evans is as comparable as it gets to Derozan. Same draft, same position, and same not quite living up to their potential. The fact that Evans got offered $12M per year over 4 years ($2.5M more per year than Derozan) makes it clear it was a good idea to lock up Derozan when we did. Even if you don't think he's a good fit for the team (I'm not terribly attached to him), we can now use him as a valuable trade asset. After what we got for Bargs imagine what we could get for Derozan (could probably return a 2014 lotto pick + decent player). If we waited until someone like New Orleans offered him 4 years $48M, we'd either get stuck not matching and get nothing or have to take on a particularly onerous contract. The DD signing looks very reasonable in hindsight. Dare I say it, it looks good.

Something like this seems plausible to me:

To Cleveland:
                    Derozan

To Toronto:
                    Tristan Thompson
                    Alonzo Gee
                    Cavs Top 3 protected 2014 draft pick
                    Last edited by Primer; Tue Jul 2, 2013, 03:38 AM.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post

To Cleveland:
                      Derozan

To Toronto:
                      Tristan Thompson
                      Alonzo Gee
                      I agree with you for the most part but the Cavs wouldn't give that up for DeRozan. His deal does look a lot better in hindsight, but he's not as valuable as you're giving him credit for.

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                        Tyreke Evans is as comparable as it gets to Derozan. Same draft, same position, and same not quite living up to their potential. The fact that Evans got offered $12M per year over 4 years ($2.5M more per year than Derozan) makes it clear it was a good idea to lock up Derozan when we did. Even if you don't think he's a good fit for the team (I'm not terribly attached to him), we can now use him as a valuable trade asset. After what we got for Bargs imagine what we could get for Derozan (could probably return a 2014 lotto pick + decent player). If we waited until someone like New Orleans offered him 4 years $48M, we'd either get stuck not matching and get nothing or have to take on a particularly onerous contract. The DD signing looks very reasonable in hindsight. Dare I say it, it looks good.

To Cleveland:
                        Derozan

To Toronto:
                        Tristan Thompson
                        Alonzo Gee
                        I agree with everything you're saying.

But I doubt such a deal goes through. 2014 draft picks.....so hard to gauge their value. I have a hard time seeing Cleveland give one up.

Comment

There are character concerns and injury concerns with Evans that do not make it a clear bla k and white situation. From a basketball perspective I take Evans 10 times out of 10.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            There are character concerns and injury concerns with Evans that do not make it a clear bla k and white situation. From a basketball perspective I take Evans 10 times out of 10.
                            Should have added when playing with Rudy gay.

Comment

If he wasn't extended, there wouldn't have been a precedent for Evans. He might have gotten the same offer, or he might have not. Either way, the Raptors would have had options as to what to do with him. I'm thinking since Ujiri has put him on the block, he'd rather just have the cap space and make his own free-agent decisions than work via trade.

Comment

Working...
                              X