The Toronto Blue Jays/MLB Thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
    Extra Wild Card Spot has been Added. Its Official.
    Jays are making the Playoffs next year. Book it.
    by next year you mean 2013?
    If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

• I'm thinking 2014.

Comment

• And, in "not sure what to think of it but it may be bad news if it continues" talk, Cecil topped out at 88 today and sat around 86for most of the day. Too early to get worked up about it but the Jays can't be happy to see those numbers.

In better news, Morrow apparently looked good yesterday and was sitting at 94-95 mixing in a change and curve without, he says, letting loose. Hutchison and McGuire have apparently looked good, too. Cecil keeps throwing 86, he might be in the bullpen or in AAA...

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
          And, in "not sure what to think of it but it may be bad news if it continues" talk, Cecil topped out at 88 today and sat around 86for most of the day. Too early to get worked up about it but the Jays can't be happy to see those numbers.

In better news, Morrow apparently looked good yesterday and was sitting at 94-95 mixing in a change and curve without, he says, letting loose. Hutchison and McGuire have apparently looked good, too. Cecil keeps throwing 86, he might be in the bullpen or in AAA...
          they had every opportunity to trade some of these bums like litsh and cecil for a top tier talent. they should just sign oswalt.
          If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
            they had every opportunity to trade some of these bums like litsh and cecil for a top tier talent. they should just sign oswalt.
            Litsch and Cecil were never bringing you back top tier talent. I agree that Oswalt would be a good signing but he wants to stay close to Mississippi, so it seems unlikely he'd ever come to Toronto. If he went somewhere other than the southeast, I doubt the fourth place team in the AL East is at the top of his list. The good news is that if Cecil flops then guys like Drabek and Hutchison are going to get a shot. Honestly, given where this team is at, I'd rather see what those guys have...

Comment

• sorry upper tier talent, not top. while depending on the package.

Comment

• Just to make it clear, Jays tried to pursue Oswalt but he said he wasn't going to sign with the Jays. I'm not sure how worried I would be about Cecil topping out at 88.. It's early in the spring, give it a month and see where he's at. Dude's been working hard, lost like 30-40 lbs in the offseason.

In other news, Snider appears to be ahead of Thames for the left field spot, he's great in the field and he's been hitting decently. Been saying it for years, but it'd be great for him to get on track.. He has talent.

Comment

• last i heard thames was ahead of snider.

and the jkays porbably wopuldn't give oswalt near what he wanted because anthopolous is a fuckhead.

Comment

• Yeah, it's rumoured Oswalt won't sign til mid season.. I know earlier in offseason he was saying he wouldn't sign with A's or Jays when they were looking at him, apparently he wanted to be close to his home.. But now he's open to any team. I'd say we look into him, he could definitely help, but he does want to be a starter so I don't know really.. Maybe if he's still available later in the season, but I'd rather see what we have now, since McGowan is out of options and I wanna see how Cecil does, Alvarez is a lock pretty much unless he struggles as bad as Drabek did, which isn't likely.

With the Snider situation though, I really can't see Thames being ahead of Snider. Snider is a much better fielder with 3 outfield assists already, and is leading the team with 12 RBI's.. He's coming up in key situations, that's worth some points, also 3 hrs to Thames 1, Snider is owning in OPS and slugging percentage as well, and they're close in average and OBP.

Comment

• Ryan_1523 wrote: View Post
                      With the Snider situation though, I really can't see Thames being ahead of Snider. Snider is a much better fielder with 3 outfield assists already, and is leading the team with 12 RBI's.. He's coming up in key situations, that's worth some points, also 3 hrs to Thames 1, Snider is owning in OPS and slugging percentage as well, and they're close in average and OBP.
                      I don't think the Jays are viewing this as a horserace in spring training. They've said repeatedly that Thames is the incumbent and has the lead for the job. AA has also said that they are leery of spring training stats for a lot of reasons (as well they should be). Apparently, Snider has made some adjustments to his swing mechanics that are helping him have good ABs. He's always been the better defender (Thames is just awful in the field). But I don't think that changes anything. Personally, I'd give Snider the job for the year and see what he does with 500+ABs but it sure doesn't sound like Toronto is thinking that way.

Comment

• Yeah I totally get your point, but I really don't think anyone can say Snider's been given a fair shake, up and down for the last 4 years.. I think he should be given the opportunity to start every day, he has much more upside than Thames. I think Snider has the potential that everyone thinks Rasmus has, so why shouldn't he be given a shot as well. I think this is his last year with the Jays if he doesn't make it, or if he doesn't do well, so why not give him a shot? Thames is probably as good as he'll ever be, and on a winning team he's a 4th outfielder, so if Jays are serious about winning they should take that into consideration, cus Snider definitely could become an everyday left fielder.

Comment

I don't think the Jays are viewing this as a horserace in spring training. They've said repeatedly that Thames is the incumbent and has the lead for the job. AA has also said that they are leery of spring training stats for a lot of reasons (as well they should be). Apparently, Snider has made some adjustments to his swing mechanics that are helping him have good ABs. He's always been the better defender (Thames is just awful in the field). But I don't think that changes anything. Personally, I'd give Snider the job for the year and see what he does with 500+ABs but it sure doesn't sound like Toronto is thinking that way.
                          you must have missed that game at fenway. guy aint awful by no means in the field. i agree he's below average, but not awful.

Comment

• Opening Day just a few days away and nothing on the board. Extra wildcard, Drabek in the rotation, Cecil throwing a blistering 86mh fastball and getting hammered again today, McGowan's extension, Lawrie looking awesome, Adam "best shape of mah life bro = argh, mah back!" Lind still somehow with the Jays cause Rogers is cheap, Morrow looking like he's figured it out, tonnes of great talent going to high-A ball and AA.

Will the Jays play meaningful baseball in September? I say yes. Discuss...

Comment

• Don't have too much time to get into it but I am optimistic that the Jays will be in the race for that added wildcard spot come September.

LET'S GO JAYS!!!

Comment

Opening Day just a few days away and nothing on the board. Extra wildcard, Drabek in the rotation, Cecil throwing a blistering 86mh fastball and getting hammered again today, McGowan's extension, Lawrie looking awesome, Adam "best shape of mah life bro = argh, mah back!" Lind still somehow with the Jays cause Rogers is cheap, Morrow looking like he's figured it out, tonnes of great talent going to high-A ball and AA.

Will the Jays play meaningful baseball in September? I say yes. Discuss...
                                You beat me to the punch! I was going to ask if anyone had any predictions on where they'll finish this season...

I'm gonna say they win 88-90(barring any major injuries), but they'll fall just short of the extra wildcard unfortunately.

It's all about the starting pitching to me. Romero and Morrow should be solid at the top of the rotation, but then who really knows what we're gonna get from Cecil, Drabek, and Alvarez. I doubt McGowan will ever return to the pitcher he was a few years ago(seems like forever!), so that's a pretty big question mark too.

It's going to be a blast watching Lawrie for a full season with the big club. Let's just hope his bat from last year returns this year in the same way.

This will be the first year in about 10 years where I haven't been at the home opener or the second home game, but I am looking forward to going down next Friday vs Baltimore!

Here's to an exciting and injury free season!

Comment

Working...
                                X