Youth and Financial Freedom: Raps current roster beyond 2012-13

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jimmyhunter wrote: View Post
    People keep raving about our improvements this year as if we have a team that can accomplish anything worthwhile yet. Sure, we can get to 40+ wins but so what? Have we sucked for so long that we're satisfied with just that? I'm not saying don't be happy, but let's keep it in perspective. Our new roster is amazing in comparison to last years squad, but in comparison to other teams in the league we're average to slightly above it. Sure we still have 'flexability' but BC has never been able to spin that into anything of value. If I'm MLSE I'm still letting BC walk at the end of the season for simply not making us a good enough team. He's in the business of saving bucks and building a perennially middle-of-the-pack team. That's why he spends a year selling the entire city on the ideas of 'retooling' and 'flexability' but is so quick to jeopardize all of that progress to chase after a 38 year old Steve Nash. For what? Ticket and jersey sales and a little player developement. Let's be real if we're going to ever be a contender we need a new GM. By all means be happy about this roster, but rest assured this is close to about as good as we'll get. 5-6 years and we go to the playoffs twice? We're so used to being crap we get our hopes up when he gives Landry Fields a poison pill to be our starting SF, and then he's considering letting Jose walk for just cash and some picks. Haha Im not impatient, if we're all still Raptors fans then we definitely know patience, but we've got be realistic. With the money and assets we had this season I'm sure other GMs couldve netted more talent. 40-50 wins for the next 3-4 years is an upsetting thought. Later days....
    "Our new roster is amazing in comparison to last years squad" To be honest, when you think about it, that's not really say much is it? I wouldn't say that we're not gonna be that much better than last year, but I feel like we're a fringe playoff team (sorta like Milwaukee). Even though we're not exactly a high caliber playoff team, I feel like we're better off with what we have this year than we did last year. If we can still show that we're a decent team next year, it might be easier for us to get free agents than getting free agents as one of the bottom teams.

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
      "Our new roster is amazing in comparison to last years squad" To be honest, when you think about it, that's not really say much is it? I wouldn't say that we're not gonna be that much better than last year, but I feel like we're a fringe playoff team (sorta like Milwaukee). Even though we're not exactly a high caliber playoff team, I feel like we're better off with what we have this year than we did last year. If we can still show that we're a decent team next year, it might be easier for us to get free agents than getting free agents as one of the bottom teams.
      We may be a fringe playoff team next year, 6-8 spots, than I think that's great. Only to know, unlike Milwaukee, or Philly, we are NOT a treadmill team.

The youth speaks for itself, we will NOT be an Oklahoma City Thunder team, but the team has the potential to get better every single year. As guys experience, as guys individually learn the game, learn the system, develop and buy into the culture, it could turn into a team that is contending in 3-4 years. Winning over time will make some type of noise, with winning, we can attract certain free agents.

Someone pointed out to me in the past, winning is a major need to attract others. Making the playoffs in the 6-8 spots, and bettering over time would do so.

In comes that flexibility. A very important tool with the new CBA, allowing us to make certain moves according to the team needs. The draft has blessed us with Bargnani, Derozan, Ross, and Valanciunas, supposedly our core group, now we add Fields, Lowry, Acy, JL3, and other talent via free agency/trade, would create a group of potential.
      Over the years we win, and guys start declining their options, and testing the market, and we could score on a solid free agent, maybe not a star, but another player who has talent who could make an impact.
      Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        We may be a fringe playoff team next year, 6-8 spots, than I think that's great. Only to know, unlike Milwaukee, or Philly, we are NOT a treadmill team.

The youth speaks for itself, we will NOT be an Oklahoma City Thunder team, but the team has the potential to get better every single year. As guys experience, as guys individually learn the game, learn the system, develop and buy into the culture, it could turn into a team that is contending in 3-4 years. Winning over time will make some type of noise, with winning, we can attract certain free agents.

Someone pointed out to me in the past, winning is a major need to attract others. Making the playoffs in the 6-8 spots, and bettering over time would do so.

In comes that flexibility. A very important tool with the new CBA, allowing us to make certain moves according to the team needs. The draft has blessed us with Bargnani, Derozan, Ross, and Valanciunas, supposedly our core group, now we add Fields, Lowry, Acy, JL3, and other talent via free agency/trade, would create a group of potential.
        Over the years we win, and guys start declining their options, and testing the market, and we could score on a solid free agent, maybe not a star, but another player who has talent who could make an impact.
        I agree. I feel like we can slowly inch closer and closer into the playoffs. The only worry a Raptors fan would have over the next two years is whether or not we can convince Lowry to sign an extension. It would really suck if we are only have a rental of Lowry for two years. Hopefully we can start off the future on the right foot and make playoffs next season :P

Comment

jimmyhunter wrote:
          People keep raving about our improvements this year as if we have a team that can accomplish anything worthwhile yet. Sure, we can get to 40+ wins but so what? Have we sucked for so long that we're satisfied with just that? I'm not saying don't be happy, but let's keep it in perspective. Our new roster is amazing in comparison to last years squad, but in comparison to other teams in the league we're average to slightly above it. Sure we still have 'flexability' but BC has never been able to spin that into anything of value. If I'm MLSE I'm still letting BC walk at the end of the season for simply not making us a good enough team. He's in the business of saving bucks and building a perennially middle-of-the-pack team. That's why he spends a year selling the entire city on the ideas of 'retooling' and 'flexability' but is so quick to jeopardize all of that progress to chase after a 38 year old Steve Nash. For what? Ticket and jersey sales and a little player developement. Let's be real if we're going to ever be a contender we need a new GM. By all means be happy about this roster, but rest assured this is close to about as good as we'll get. 5-6 years and we go to the playoffs twice? We're so used to being crap we get our hopes up when he gives Landry Fields a poison pill to be our starting SF, and then he's considering letting Jose walk for just cash and some picks. Haha Im not impatient, if we're all still Raptors fans then we definitely know patience, but we've got be realistic. With the money and assets we had this season I'm sure other GMs couldve netted more talent. 40-50 wins for the next 3-4 years is an upsetting thought. Later days....
          We are the Toronto Raptors, and you're tryna tell me BC should of fielded a top 3 team this year or some shit? You're complaining about "being amazing compared to last year". Wtf else were we suppose to do. We tried to get nash it failed despite what you think, that wouldve helped us compete a bit more this year, but probably not as mu ch in the long run. If you were as patient as you say you were you'd take a step back and realize that there isnt much any GM can do with a team and a roster that isn't screaming "WE'RE A CONTENDER" when you aren't in a big market. Lots of teams didn't do well this offseason. If anything this offseason showed if you don't have a perennial all-star recruiting for you, or a big market , or a winning team how the fuck are you going to entice ppl to come here outside of making the right trades and making us "amazing compared to last year".

Yes BC has fucked up plenty, but hes also good at fixing his mistakes, at least we have a GM who makes moves. Would we better with another GM, who knows probably maybe, would we be worse off the answers the exact same. That answer won't change until we start winning games or move cities, or somehow draft the next KD or some shit.

Stop claiming to be patient cuz its fans like you that make GMs do stupid shit like chase Steve Nash.

Comment

Maintaining flexibility is key. If we can be a fringe play-off team and remain so for a few years, it's only a matter of time before we become an attractive destination for elite free agents. A winner is what most free agents are looking for. Things like taxes, cold weather, Canada etc are nonsense. As far as BC is concerned, I think MLSE would be wise in picking up his option year after which they'll have a clear idea of whether his rebuilding plan is working or not.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

If a GM ever predicates his moves on fan reactions then he's stupid and should be fired. I don't get what your point is? BC hasn't changed his philosophy towards building a team since he got here. It's build, but keep flexability, get nowhere, rebuild, be an above average team, fall off a little, retool, rebuild ect. I can't think of a team in this league that is both in great financial standing, but also contending yearly. OKC is unique in that they've still got rookie contracts on two stars. We're going to be paying in the doublefigures for DeRozan, Lowry, Bargs and almost Fields in a few years assuming the team stays in tact for the most part. We'd also have Ross and Val to worry about, not to mention Davis if he develops as expected. We'll be cash strapped soon with a ceiling that stops just short of contending. Woop be excited about our potential. I've been a fan since 2000 and I'd say I've had plenty of reasons withing that time to lose patience. You're telling me it was smart to overpay on two contracts to compete on a limited level for a couple years? Really? Thank god it didn't work out. My point is this is as good as it gets with BC. Don't expect a better roster because this guy finds a way to not deliver every time. Sure he'll have the cash and assets but he'll get a J.O'neall or a Turkoglu cause he doesn't understand the concept of winning big.

Comment

If a GM ever predicates his moves on fan reactions then he's stupid and should be fired. I don't get what your point is? BC hasn't changed his philosophy towards building a team since he got here. It's build, but keep flexability, get nowhere, rebuild, be an above average team, fall off a little, retool, rebuild ect. I can't think of a team in this league that is both in great financial standing, but also contending yearly. OKC is unique in that they've still got rookie contracts on two stars. We're going to be paying in the doublefigures for DeRozan, Lowry, Bargs and almost Fields in a few years assuming the team stays in tact for the most part. We'd also have Ross and Val to worry about, not to mention Davis if he develops as expected. We'll be cash strapped soon with a ceiling that stops just short of contending. Woop be excited about our potential. I've been a fan since 2000 and I'd say I've had plenty of reasons withing that time to lose patience. You're telling me it was smart to overpay on two contracts to compete on a limited level for a couple years? Really? Thank god it didn't work out. My point is this is as good as it gets with BC. Don't expect a better roster because this guy finds a way to not deliver every time. Sure he'll have the cash and assets but he'll get a J.O'neall or a Turkoglu cause he doesn't understand the concept of winning big.
                You haven't seen the team play and gel together where it really matters, on the court, & you're already writing them off.. Every team wants to contend and win a championship, but there are 30 teams in this league, & only 1 winner... An organization bringing in success every year, making money, making fans happy, & having players work hard in their job day in and day out is something I prefer than a one time team to win one championship, than be back on stage one. From a non-basketball related stand-point, the Chicago Blackhawks were that team in 2010 I believe it was. The Dallas Mavericks.. Look where they are now? A championship team to a mediocre bunch, after trying to score, score, and score on a free agent.

The poster said it best earlier, we aren't the Lakers, we aren't the Celtics, we aren't the Knicks..
                This is the only way we can build a good team, through trades, having to overpay in free agency, and the draft.. We aren't attracting anyone right now with nothing but our flexibility...

You tell me what BC's philosophy is and whay hasn't changed, because our most knowledgable posters and many others really believe we've made successful moves moving in a DIRECTION towards the ultimate goal.
                Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Agree that a GM shouldn't predicate his moves on fan reaction. Disagree that BC hasn't changed his philosophy. I think that we have seen two different philosophical approaches from BC since he came here. One in the pre-Bosh era and the other post-Bosh. When he took over the team, his philosophy was to build a fast paced team around Bosh for instant success which he attained to some extent(executive of the year followed by another visit to the play-offs). With the hope of making us better, he ended up making moves that in hindsight were mistakes(J O Neal, Hedo and the worst of them all losing Bosh for nothing). After a brief effort to re-tool came a philosophical change. Rebuilding. With Dwane Caseys hiring we started working towards not only a culture(offense oriented to defense oriented) change but creating Cap flexibility. He has made his share of mistakes both in Toronto and Phoenix but to suggest that he will do the same in future is injustice to his reputation. Let's give him a chance 'cause he deserves it.
                  Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Michel G wrote: View Post
                    I like A.I. also, but the 76ers have made moves to pretty much ensure that they don't go into the tax any time soon. I don't think they'll look to move him. I could be wrong though. One can always wish...
                    They have also made moves that adds a wing talent (young, Wright, Harkless).

Comment

I think we are saying the same thing except I have taken glass half full while you have taken half empty approach.

Raps are better - that is a good thing - and the point of the thread was to highlight the flexibility that still remains to add a significant talent.

So many factors go in to making a transaction given there are 29 other NBA teams and hundreds of players yet only a small percentage of top talent.

Clearly you have no faith in BC and, at this point and in my opinion, you can not be faulted for such a view given all the hype and spin BC has put out there with very little to show.

Comment

i think you are pointing to bc's history but not including his time in pheonix. he put together a very good team there. to say "this is as good as it gets with bc" without including actual things he has done better is a little blind. he built a team that was a championship contender already.

right now we are waiting for a "franchise player" without one we are the same as a handful of teams in this league. we might, big might, have one in jonas.

Comment

Related to the questions of DD earlier in the thread:

Casey will never say it directly, but the Raptors’ drafting of Ross was a clear signal that they will be ready to move on from DeRozan next summer if he doesn’t develop, or if his price in restricted free agency gets too high. The Raptors are on pace to have a decent chunk of cap room next summer — something like $10 million — even after overpaying for Landry Fields. But they could have max-level room without DeRozan’s cap hold, and given that DeRozan is still just 22 with room to grow, he may be in line for one of those four-year, $28 million deals that can hamper a team’s flexibility going forward. Smart organizations understand the value of replacing so-so veterans with nearly equivalent players on rookie deals; that was the driving force behind San Antonio’s surprising trade of George Hill for Kawhi Leonard, though that deal was even better from the Spurs’ perspective, since Leonard filled a positional hole.

http://nba-point-forward.si.com/2012...otten-raptors/

Comment

Nice post Matt. I liked everything I read with the exception of A.I. being your wet dream. You can dream bigger than that damn it Especially with Memphis facing luxury tax next season and hopefully being forced to deal Rudy Gay.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
                              Nice post Matt. I liked everything I read with the exception of A.I. being your wet dream. You can dream bigger than that damn it Especially with Memphis facing luxury tax next season and hopefully being forced to deal Rudy Gay.
                              AI fits the total wet dream of Paul George in 2014

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
                                The poster said it best earlier, we aren't the Lakers, we aren't the Celtics, we aren't the Knicks..
                                This is the only way we can build a good team, through trades, having to overpay in free agency, and the draft.. We aren't attracting anyone right now with nothing but our flexibility...

You tell me what BC's philosophy is and whay hasn't changed, because our most knowledgable posters and many others really believe we've made successful moves moving in a DIRECTION towards the ultimate goal.

Dude - if we overpay for free agents we won't have any $$$ left for others on our roster or stud free agents..... Overpaying for mediocre players is not the way to do it!! You have to draft a stud or two.....its the only way....

LA Lakers (Kobe, Bynum)
                                San Antonio (Tim Duncan, Ginobli, Parker)
                                Dallas (Nowitski)
                                Miami Heat (Wade)
                                Boston (Pierce)

All teams that won a championship within the last 10 years

OKC (Durant, Westbrook, Harden) - may win it next year

I would rather trade away players for more draft picks = better chance at finding that stud

We just gave away a draft pick next year so that we can MAYBE make the playoffs......***

I just hope Lowry doesn't take off in 2 years after the big disappointment that usually happens in T.O.

Dont get me wrong.... I'm a Raptors fan for LIFE..... i just think the only person we should be overpaying is a GREAT GM or President.... someone who thinks that its CHAMPIONSHIPs or BUST....

Comment

Working...
                                X