New Orleans Hornets: Austin Rivers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Orleans Hornets: Austin Rivers.

Austin Rivers was able to get decent playing time as Eric Gordon is out for the time being, however I feel it hasn't done much to enhance his NBA IQ, he was a solid talent coming from Duke University with some issues and he has a solid NBA background through his father. I'm surprised that he hasn't produced as much offensively making it seem that possibly he was drafted a little to high in the 2012 NBA draft. I do believe he will be a offensive threat in the years to come, but it seems that more should have been expected of him in the 2012-2013 season. Thoughts???

DeRozanJohnsonFan wrote: View Post
    Austin Rivers was able to get decent playing time as Eric Gordon is out for the time being, however I feel it hasn't done much to enhance his NBA IQ, he was a solid talent coming from Duke University with some issues and he has a solid NBA background through his father. I'm surprised that he hasn't produced as much offensively making it seem that possibly he was drafted a little to high in the 2012 NBA draft. I do believe he will be a offensive threat in the years to come, but it seems that more should have been expected of him in the 2012-2013 season. Thoughts???
    I've been high on him, because his game is sooooo well suited for the NBA. Problem is inconsistent minutes, and despite the fact he's a combo guard, he's a guy that needs the ball in his hands to be successful. It's hard to have that when they have a newly improved Vasquez.

He is best suited in that sixth man role, and that's why I rather drafted him over Ross before the draft, because initially his potential was greater (in my opinion, still is) and a better overall offensive player than Ross. Defensively, Ross gets the nod, but right now, we are struggling to get any bench production, and it's been inconsistent all year.

Anyways, he'll get his chance at some point, whether it be in New Orleans, or another team, there's a lot of potential in him.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

He's incredibly overrated. He looks like a high school player out there at times. All flash no substance

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        I've been high on him, because his game is sooooo well suited for the NBA. Problem is inconsistent minutes, and despite the fact he's a combo guard, he's a guy that needs the ball in his hands to be successful. It's hard to have that when they have a newly improved Vasquez.

He is best suited in that sixth man role, and that's why I rather drafted him over Ross before the draft, because initially his potential was greater (in my opinion, still is) and a better overall offensive player than Ross. Defensively, Ross gets the nod, but right now, we are struggling to get any bench production, and it's been inconsistent all year.

Anyways, he'll get his chance at some point, whether it be in New Orleans, or another team, there's a lot of potential in him.
        Better than Ross? No way. Ross is a much better shooter and his athleticism is on a whole nother level than rivers. Ross really needs to get more minutes. When he gets it rolling he's tough to stop, absolutely lights out from anywhere.

Comment

NoPropsneeded wrote: View Post
          Better than Ross? No way. Ross is a much better shooter and his athleticism is on a whole nother level than rivers. Ross really needs to get more minutes. When he gets it rolling he's tough to stop, absolutely lights out from anywhere.
          Much better shooter and better athlete. Drafted as a shooter, known as an athlete. From a skill standpoint - ball-handling, passing, IQ - Rivers is on a whole other level. Both are inconsistent, both getting low minutes. Can't really judge other than what I've seen from them in College and high school. Rivers proved both times his game is better suited for the NBA. Ross plays better off-ball, better suited as the guy off cuts, screens, etc. Rivers can create himself, Ross can't. Austin Rivers is an average defender at best, while Ross has potential to be really good.

We'll see with time, jury is still out on both players. Ross might end up having a longer and more successful career, but Rivers has the potential to be something special. Try and watch the college highlights of both players where you can see more of them in sample time.

Rivers = Potential to be special, something near a teammate of his in Eric Gordon, but also turn out to be nothing but an Adam Morrison
          Ross = Potential to be a solid shooting guard like a J.R Smith, but can play better defense. Or turn out be a 3-&-D player who plays 15-20 minutes - regardless of starting or not - like a Thabo Sefolosha, Keith Bogans, Avery Bradley, Courtney Lee, some solid role players right there.

That being said, Rivers has a high ceiling, but a low, low basement.
          Ross has an average ceiling, but a high floor.

My opinion. But hey, I would love to see Ross prove me wrong.

Comment

Ross is a better ball handler then he gets credit for, he can create off the bounce pretty good. Again, not enough minutes to truely show his game. Rivers is getting more minutes than Ross and he isn't playing that great so that worries me

Comment

Ross is a better ball handler then he gets credit for, he can create off the bounce pretty good. Again, not enough minutes to truely show his game. Rivers is getting more minutes than Ross and he isn't playing that great so that worries me
              1st Bold: I disagree, he only has that crossover, which only gives him space to take two steps and take a long, contested 2. He rarely makes it too.

2nd Bold: Yes. True, Rivers is playing about 24 minutes a game, while Ross is playing 16 minutes on average. Problem with BOTH is their inconsistency.

Comment

1st Bold: I disagree, he only has that crossover, which only gives him space to take two steps and take a long, contested 2. He rarely makes it too.

2nd Bold: Yes. True, Rivers is playing about 24 minutes a game, while Ross is playing 16 minutes on average. Problem with BOTH is their inconsistency.
                He has good ball skills but he just settles for jumpers too much. He has more tight handles than DeRozan in his first 3 seasons (he has improved this year). He has shown the ability to create off the dribble and find his own shot at times but he just doesn't get many touches and playing time. I'll admit he still needs to work on them but they aren't as bad as people say. I too used to be a huge believer in Rivers and wanted us to draft him at one point but after seeing him play i just don't think he's going to be that great anymore. He gets a pass because he's the son of the legendary Doc Rivers but he makes questionable decisions on the court and him jumpshot needs work. He reminds me of Jerryd Bayless with maybe slightly better court vision. He tries to be too flashy and ends up making stupid plays instead of making the right play. And also he isn't that athletic compared to other guys in the draft like Beal, Ross, Barnes, Lillard so that doesn't help either. He may end up being a good player if he has the work ethic. That is going to decide who truely comes out on top, if Ross is a gym rat like DeMar than he is going to be Scary good. If not he'll end up being a rotation player

Comment

He has good ball skills but he just settles for jumpers too much. He has more tight handles than DeRozan in his first 3 seasons (he has improved this year). He has shown the ability to create off the dribble and find his own shot at times but he just doesn't get many touches and playing time. I'll admit he still needs to work on them but they aren't as bad as people say. I too used to be a huge believer in Rivers and wanted us to draft him at one point but after seeing him play i just don't think he's going to be that great anymore. He gets a pass because he's the son of the legendary Doc Rivers but he makes questionable decisions on the court and him jumpshot needs work. He reminds me of Jerryd Bayless with maybe slightly better court vision. He tries to be too flashy and ends up making stupid plays instead of making the right play. And also he isn't that athletic compared to other guys in the draft like Beal, Ross, Barnes, Lillard so that doesn't help either. He may end up being a good player if he has the work ethic. That is going to decide who truely comes out on top, if Ross is a gym rat like DeMar than he is going to be Scary good. If not he'll end up being a rotation player
                  That's going to be a big, big question. Although, I don't think his ceiling says scary good. Maybe pretty good, but no more.

Comment

That's going to be a big, big question. Although, I don't think his ceiling says scary good. Maybe pretty good, but no more.
                    The dude is a good shooter and has elite level athleticism. IMO he has a very high ceiling

Comment

The dude is a good shooter and has elite level athleticism. IMO he has a very high ceiling
                      Doesn't mean it will translate into anything better. Like I said, scouts drafting him questioned his potential. Time will tell.

Comment

Broke his hand in last night's game against the Lakers. Expected to be out 4-6 weeks.

Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                          Broke his hand in last night's game against the Lakers. Expected to be out 4-6 weeks.

He was really starting to get into a roll, anyways, good luck to him.

Comment

Doesn't mean it will translate into anything better. Like I said, scouts drafting him questioned his potential. Time will tell.
                            You can say the same thing for anyone in any draft. Especially Rivers, just cause his Dad was a good player and he has "High iq" doesn't mean that he is going to translate into a star.
                            Ross barely gets time but when he does get decent minutes he plays well, sure he makes rookie mistakes but everyone does. He knocks down three's like they are nothing. But like you said, time will tell.

Comment

You can say the same thing for anyone in any draft. Especially Rivers, just cause his Dad was a good player and he has "High iq" doesn't mean that he is going to translate into a star.
                              Ross barely gets time but when he does get decent minutes he plays well, sure he makes rookie mistakes but everyone does. He knocks down three's like they are nothing. But like you said, time will tell.
                              Wouldn't exactly call shooting 33% "nothing". But time will tell for both Ross and Rivers.
                              Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Working...
                              X