No announcement yet.

Kanter rejects Raptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The hype and hearsay around Kanter is being turned up a notch. He's down to 255lbs from 272 and his midrange jumper is improved.

In the two most recent interviews I listened to of him [his English is much improved]] he says he wants to play PF.

Not sure why he's not interested in the Raptors if it's true he won't workout for them. Coach Cal is a major influence on him so it could be coming from there.

Comment

1fitrainer wrote: View Post
      Here's what Dime Magazine is saying about Toronto..

http://dimemag.com/2009/07/accept-it...ket-franchise/
      But the writer of this article defines "Big Market" as being on National TV ... thats about it. That's his basis? How many times you were on TNT? Thats stupid. Toronto makes more money than two-thirds of the league. Thats Big Market.
      We trail only New York, LA, Boston, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Chicago, Miami and Pheonix for Overall Revenues, even after less-than-mediocre play. Thats how I can tell if a Big City, is creating a Market that is responding to the Franchise.

Comment

ed davis rejected are interview too.

they let those mock draft and prospect lists get in their head and don't expect to drop as far as they actually could when draft day comes.
        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
          Again, you're just making stuff up. Please stop it.
          He participated in the Chicago Draft Combine with EVERY other Rookie. Except Irving. This is actually very rare for a player to skip it altogether. So what, is Irving hiding something? Common Chalz. You must have a good one for this.. no?
          not making stuff up the dude was suppose to play in Kentucky did not show

Went instead to play a total of 9 unspectacular games against low level talent in Turkey

Katner's agent has been hiding him the dude is over rated... maybe waaay over rated. I would not touch him wit a lottery pick
          Last edited by charlz; Sat May 21, 2011, 01:05 PM.
          "I may be wrong ... but I doubt it"

Comment

I thought they never interviewed/worked out Ed cause they figured there was no way he would drop to us?
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
              not making stuff up the dude was suppose to play in Kentucky did not show

Went instead to play a total of 9 unspectacular games against low level talent in Turkey
              "He didn't show"?! hahah Do you even know what really happened? You must not.
              But either way, Yes, you are making stuff up. Or you, like I said, are completely ignorant to actual situation. Which is fine. But maybe find out why he didn't play for Kentucky, but was instead a Student-Coach for the Wildcats all year. Do some reasearch. More than Wikipedia.
              Last edited by Joey; Sat May 21, 2011, 01:10 PM.

Comment

GarbageTime wrote: View Post
                ummm whats the basketball watching/participating size in Toronto vs Washington? Cause I hardly think a puckhead that refuses to watch basketball or is willing to even spend a dime and go near the ACC when the leafs aren't there are exactly in a teams/players/agents target market.

Maybe someone else should get their "facts" straight before they start spewing off numbers CTV or the TSN would use as opposed to the NBA, a team, an agent or Nike when they offer endorsement deals.
                Ok seriously, maybe "facts" should be what you should use then bubba, yet you did not use any. Toronto is a top 10 team value (from FORBES) Washington - 19th, one of 6 teams to actually make money, all this while having these low attendance records. Washington has been in and out of financial trouble, Toronto not so much. But I guess that larger target market will help them out.

The article from Dime Mag is an op-ed piece, not a fact-piece, and if the measure of a team market as being how many times they are on ESPN? Come off it with garbage like that. The specific reference to Bosh not being as popular as Chris Paul because he plays in Canada? Gee, how has Miami worked out for him. His Q scores dropped, players come out repeatedly about how crap a player he is (Durant, Boozer, etc plus retired players), so MAYBE his popularity was more to do with Chris Paul is an awesome player and Bosh is not.

If the argument is a larger opportunity for endorsements, however your argument about target market is also off since Utah (who is also higher on Forbes list than DC) was included, which has a large, very dedicated fan base, especially for a turkish player (Okur).

However if you want to use attendance #s:
                Toronto/Washington
                2001: 19,347/15,546
                2002: 19,743/20,674
                2003: 18,963/20,172
                2004: 18,307/15,740
                2005: 17,155/17,196
                2006: 17,056/17,196
                2007: 18,372/18,258
                2008: 19,435(98.2%)/17,962
                2009: 18,773(94.8%)/16,612 (82.4%)
                2010: 17,897(90.4%)/16,204(80.3%)
                2011: 16,566(83.7%)/16,791((83.2%)
                so despite having a larger stadium (capacity 10+% more) they do not seem to draw as many fans from their target market to the games.

Not only that the Raptors were 8th this year in road attendance at 91.9%, Utah 10th, DC?: 18th. Top 5: Heat, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                  But the writer of this article defines "Big Market" as being on National TV ... thats about it. That's his basis? How many times you were on TNT? Thats stupid. Toronto makes more money than two-thirds of the league. Thats Big Market.
                  We trail only New York, LA, Boston, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Chicago, Miami and Pheonix for Overall Revenues, even after less-than-mediocre play. Thats how I can tell if a Big City, is creating a Market that is responding to the Franchise.

while a TV market is only part of a market, you can't ignore it either. Especially if we are talking from a players perspective. Players want to get their name out there for attention, for endorsement deals and I imagine some for their ego. The more they can brand their name, the more money they can make (both within and outside of their contract with a team).

This is perhaps the biggest issue with Toronto and players, its lack of nationally televised games (in America that is). Even when Vince was here, and Toronto was competing at a high level, the team didn't get much coverage. If the team isn't getting coverage the players aren't getting coverage. If a player isn't getting coverage, they aren't getting their name out.

Look at Bosh. Two of his issues with playing in Toronto were going home and having to watch 15 minutes of hockey highlights before the 10 seconds of Raptors coverage. His other criticism was being a 20-10 guy and nobody knowing who you were.

Even if one wants to believe the players may not care about this stuff, well their agents do. Since agents take a portion of a players proceeds, they want that player to make as much as possible, and don't think for a second their agents don't know and understand this stuff.

Comment

I agree the TV divisions are a problem for a lot of Americans.

However national coverage is also based on success, ESPN carried Toronto games when Vince was in his prime. Not as many as we would of liked, but the US market was far from hurting for Toronto content. If a team is exciting, they will get highlights.

If we make the playoffs, they have no choice but to carry us. Let's face it you are not watching the Thunder because they are from Oklahoma.
                    Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat May 21, 2011, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Maleko wrote: View Post
                      Ok seriously, maybe "facts" should be what you should use then bubba, yet you did not use any. Toronto is a top 10 team value (from FORBES) Washington - 19th, one of 6 teams to actually make money, all this while having these low attendance records. Washington has been in and out of financial trouble, Toronto not so much. But I guess that larger target market will help them out.

The article from Dime Mag is an op-ed piece, not a fact-piece, and if the measure of a team market as being how many times they are on ESPN? Come off it with garbage like that. The specific reference to Bosh not being as popular as Chris Paul because he plays in Canada? Gee, how has Miami worked out for him. His Q scores dropped, players come out repeatedly about how crap a player he is (Durant, Boozer, etc plus retired players), so MAYBE his popularity was more to do with Chris Paul is an awesome player and Bosh is not.

If the argument is a larger opportunity for endorsements, however your argument about target market is also off since Utah (who is also higher on Forbes list than DC) was included, which has a large, very dedicated fan base, especially for a turkish player (Okur).

However if you want to use attendance #s:
                      Toronto/Washington
                      2001: 19,347/15,546
                      2002: 19,743/20,674
                      2003: 18,963/20,172
                      2004: 18,307/15,740
                      2005: 17,155/17,196
                      2006: 17,056/17,196
                      2007: 18,372/18,258
                      2008: 19,435(98.2%)/17,962
                      2009: 18,773(94.8%)/16,612 (82.4%)
                      2010: 17,897(90.4%)/16,204(80.3%)
                      2011: 16,566(83.7%)/16,791((83.2%)
                      so despite having a larger stadium (capacity 10+% more) they do not seem to draw as many fans from their target market to the games.

Not only that the Raptors were 8th this year in road attendance at 91.9%, Utah 10th, DC?: 18th. Top 5: Heat, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, Knicks.
                      Again you are ONLY considering attendance (which by the way Washinton's attendance exceed Toronto's 5 times in 10 years which goes to show that it is a pretty even split but within a smaller population) and the "value" of a team is not directly related to that teams market (but they may consider it as part of the value depending on how one values the team).

How many people in an area are willing to watch basketball... to pay for basketball related items?
                      Whats the TV viewership?
                      What teams are watched on a national scale?

You don't think these play a role?

I'm not saying Toronto's market is FOR SURE larger or smaller than Washingtons, but don't think for a second that since the GTA has a larger population that it instantly means it has a larger market. It has a larger POTENTIAL market. But not necessarily a larger real market.

Welcome to the world that is much larger than just your local city and its surrounding areas.

Comment

The Raptors have a massive online following, and sites like Dime and Hoopsworld will always write these shit-disturbing articles to get cheap hits. I've learnt to ignore it over the last decade. Even if Toronto is a small-market team, Kanter is in no position to be picky about where he's going. It sounds like the hype around him is getting to his head. He's acting pretty high and mighty for a guy that sat around twiddling his thumbs since being ruled ineligible to play.

Comment

charlz wrote: View Post
                          as I have said numerous times on this board - his agent has been hiding him since that one game at the nike summit. He drank 9 rebulls and preformed better than expected. This guy is totally over rated. Drafting him would be a huge mistake. He has done nothing and I mean nothing to show he would even dominate the NCAA (which he also did not show up to play in)
                          Yes, you have said this before. And much like you accuse Kanter of doing, you hid afterwards. Sorry, couldn't resist that.

What you're saying is that Kanter agent, even before he was his agent, convinced the NCAA to ban Kanter so he wouldn't be able to play. Is that what you're saying? And when exactly did Kanter's agent BECOME his agent? Please explain those two facts to me.
                          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                            The Raptors have a massive online following, and sites like Dime and Hoopsworld will always write these shit-disturbing articles to get cheap hits. I've learnt to ignore it over the last decade. Even if Toronto is a small-market team, Kanter is in no position to be picky about where he's going. It sounds like the hype around him is getting to his head. He's acting pretty high and mighty for a guy that sat around twiddling his thumbs since being ruled ineligible to play.
                            LOL, i was looking at slider bar, when the comments were loading.... was thinking the exact same thing.

Comment

Arsenalist wrote: View Post
                              Or it's a 19 year old kid who's doing what his dumbass agent tells him to do. Or it's not true at all.

Why do people insist on jumping to conclusions based on pretty much no evidence?
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Conclusions are part of the fun

If Kanter does not like the press he will correct, otherwise u have to go with the source... these days, around the draft a lot of speculation, and rumours have some basis in fact. I am not saying this one does, I hope it doesn't but if that is the vibe being felt by some, its in Kanter's best interest to clear it up or roll with it.
                                Last edited by MyMomLovesMe; Sat May 21, 2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X