• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Man I wish I could've seen VC play.

Comment

JordanMariam14 wrote: View Post
      Man I wish I could've seen VC play.
      I watched a couple of games in 2003-4. He went from explosive and show stopping to very disinterested and getting hurt super easily. I was there at the game against San Antonio when he got hurt I just remember everyone in the arena letting out a collective "oh not this again" sigh.
      A key that opens many locks is a master key, but a lock that gets open by many keys is just a shitty lock

Comment

Like Mike got me interested in basketball and since Vince was the one trying to keep Lil Bow Wow out of the playoffs I didn't really like the Raptors from the start lol I was a Sixers fan because I thought Allen Iverson was the shit (he was) but since Raptors games were the only ones regularly available to me I started to cheer for them and by this time Vince was already gone.
        So basically I only started liking the Raptors during the early Bosh years when they were terrible.
        You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

My elementary school put up basketball nets outside in 95-96 coinciding with the Raps first season. As we were discovering playing the sport during recess having it on TV helped us learn the rules of the game. The glory days of the Blue Jays were quickly forgotten. For some reason the New VR (channel 20) was always fuzzy. I'd have to constantly play with the cable connection while watching for the games to be viewable.

Memorable moments over the years that I can recall; being at the dome to see us beat MJ in 96, Mighty Mouse making me fall in love with the PG position, Carlos Rogers' touching tribute to his sister, super excited about Marcus Camby after his dominance at UMASS watching my first tourney on TV, the unique joy of being 14 years old for Vince's rookie season and watching the greatest dunker ever, chanting 'Comeback TMAC' at a game, having my mind completely blown by VC's dunk contest performance, going bananas with my friends when we won the Knicks series, going to a game in the playoff series vs the Sixers, watching about 99% of the games from 1998 - 2010, booing the shit out of Vince during his first game back (chanting VC Sucks!), being really worried about TJ and Jose when they had disturbing neck/spinal injuries, believing in BC after his first season in charge, CB4 setting the team scoring record by burying a jumper over Tim Duncan, buying into the JO & Hedo hype by regretfully splurging on seasons at which point my fandom waned a little bit to the modern day resurgence culminating in Jurassic Park.. Can't wait for the season to start.

Comment

In my elementary school days I really got into basketball, in awe of the young high-flying human-highlight reel, Michael Jordan. My friends were all fans of the more established stars, supporting Magic's Lakers, Larry's Celtics and Isaiah's Pistons. Some of my earliest memories were of heartbreak, watching my Bulls lose 3 straight conference championships to the Pistons (though 'the shot' against Cleveland in the 89 playoffs will forever be etched in my memory). I wore out my copy of the '1990 Come Fly With Me' VHS video, which was the sole reason I signed-up for a subscription to Sports Illustrated. I would be a die-hard Bulls fan until Jordan left the team for good.

I was excited to hear that Toronto had been awarded an NBA franchise, especially since the announcement came during Jordan's first retirement. The 1995-96 season was a dream come true for me, with the Raptors joining the league, while Jordan had just come out of retirement. For the first few seasons my allegiances were split, although I was cheering when Mighty Mouse helped upset the mighty Bulls at the Skydome. It was easy to cheer for the Bulls to return to championship form, knowing the dynasty was in its twilight, while simultaneously cheering for the team I knew would eventually become 'my team' when the Jordan/Pippen Bulls glory days ultimately came to an end.

I graduated university and moved to Toronto in 2000, just in time to witness the rise of Vinsanity and the Raptors. The company I worked for had a platinum box, so I was fortunate to see many games up close over the next six years, including a couple playoff games against the Knicks.

I would definitely say I became a 'Raptors Junkie' during the 1999-2000 season - first full season in the ACC, VC winning slam dunk contest & Raptors making the playoffs for the 1st time in franchise history. I took it to the next level in the summer of 2009, when I discovered Raptors Republic while searching for information/rumors/discussion about Chris Bosh, ahead of what I correctly predicted would be his final season as a Raptor. It was hard enough finding Raptors-related info during the offseason while living in Toronto, but the move to Calgary made it practically impossible, so stumbling across RR was extremely fortunate (would an addict consider the moment he discovered his vice to be 'fortunate'?).

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
              In my elementary school days I really got into basketball, in awe of the young high-flying human-highlight reel, Michael Jordan. My friends were all fans of the more established stars, supporting Magic's Lakers, Larry's Celtics and Isaiah's Pistons. Some of my earliest memories were of heartbreak, watching my Bulls lose 3 straight conference championships to the Pistons (though 'the shot' against Cleveland in the 89 playoffs will forever be etched in my memory). I wore out my copy of the '1990 Come Fly With Me' VHS video, which was the sole reason I signed-up for a subscription to Sports Illustrated. I would be a die-hard Bulls fan until Jordan left the team for good.

I was excited to hear that Toronto had been awarded an NBA franchise, especially since the announcement came during Jordan's first retirement. The 1995-96 season was a dream come true for me, with the Raptors joining the league, while Jordan had just come out of retirement. For the first few seasons my allegiances were split, although I was cheering when Mighty Mouse helped upset the mighty Bulls at the Skydome. It was easy to cheer for the Bulls to return to championship form, knowing the dynasty was in its twilight, while simultaneously cheering for the team I knew would eventually become 'my team' when the Jordan/Pippen Bulls glory days ultimately came to an end.

I graduated university and moved to Toronto in 2000, just in time to witness the rise of Vinsanity and the Raptors. The company I worked for had a platinum box, so I was fortunate to see many games up close over the next six years, including a couple playoff games against the Knicks.

I would definitely say I became a 'Raptors Junkie' during the 1999-2000 season - first full season in the ACC, VC winning slam dunk contest & Raptors making the playoffs for the 1st time in franchise history. I took it to the next level in the summer of 2009, when I discovered Raptors Republic while searching for information/rumors/discussion about Chris Bosh, ahead of what I correctly predicted would be his final season as a Raptor. It was hard enough finding Raptors-related info during the offseason while living in Toronto, but the move to Calgary made it practically impossible, so stumbling across RR was extremely fortunate (would an addict consider the moment he discovered his vice to be 'fortunate'?).
              Basically this^^ Me and Ahmad Rashad were hanging with the inside stuff right after I was hanging with Mr. Cooper....

I was inordinately perturbed, even as a youth, when BJ Armstrong snubbed us. I got a small taste of what was to come. I still blame him for starting a trend we've all come to understand (THANK YOU BASED KLOE FOR PUTTING A STOP TO IT).

I have countless memories that won't fade. Like most taking down MJ is forever etched. A Doug Christie behind the night circus shot. VC dunking to beat the clock and us in overtime - My voice was horse and I was trying to explain to my date we need to double Vince all the way out to half court when I saw the play develop, my heart sank before he even finished his last stride before take off. Finding RR, feeling the cool refreshing breath of likeminded beautiful people. Vehemently disagreeing with said people. Liking BC, while Hating CB and AB well before it was cool. Eating crow on BC. Delight for Demar and Amir.

Basically, Hi my name is Jesus, Raptor Jesus, and I am an addict.

Comment

for me it was around the 2007 season that I really became a diehard. was always a fan of bball but started watching season games regularly that year with a college buddy and that season got me hooked - Bosh's dominance, Mo-pete buzzer beaters (wizards), Chuck Swirsky, and Sam Mitchell
                in masai we trust

water covers 98% of the earth, Mitchell Robinson covers the other 2%

Comment

Like Mike won me over too lol (I was 7) ... I'm so glad it did though ... otherwise I'd either be following the Leafs or have commited suicide attempting to ... After Lil Bow Wow converted me to a basketball lover I started watching the closest team available from Kitchener which was Toronto ... there Mo Pete quickly stole my heart over VC because of his clutch plays and just overall awesomeness ... I was baptized into basketball when I found out that I'm a kickass player too and led my team the Knicks to a championship in the city league ... Mo Pete made me fall in love with the Raps though ... watching that wizards buzzer-beater gives me the shivers everytime I watch it to this day .. I also loved Donyell Marshall 42 he was cool

Comment

Sonics fan(casual) growing up. Became a Raptors/Basketball fan because of Vince Carter.
                    Mamba Mentality

Comment

Inauguration season. My old man won tickets to a game at the skydome vs the pacers. Was a diehard ever since.

Comment

Working...
                      X