Hansbrough Will Surprise You

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hansbrough Will Surprise You

I think all of you in Toronto are going to be greatly surprised by Tyler Hansbrough. He is far better than advertised--just needs the minutes to do his thing. He is a foul drawing magnet, tough as nails, and if he gets his jump shot back (which he lost confidence in last year) he can be hard to handle. No one could have succeeded with the bunch he had to play with on Indiana's second unit last season. Look at his numbers when he was a starter, got the minutes, and played with the starters.

One thing, however, Toronto brought in Augustin. I read on the Pacer forum when that happened and one poster said, correctly, poor Tyler. Augustin cannot feed the post and made no effort to get the ball to Hansbrough last year when he was in perfect position to do something with it. Was it his lack of ability as a point guard to make those passes or what? I have no clue. I have also kind of gotten the idea from reading the forum here that you may have some outside shooters here in Toronto who are not crazy about feeding the big men either. I don't know for I have not seen you guys play that much, just an impression I got from the reading the posts here over the summer.

I hope to get the NBA league pass this year and follow you guys because after one has said all the bad things they can say about Tyler he is nevertheless a lot of fun to watch. On the Pacer forum they were griping all the time about how the fans were always giving Tyler the biggest reception of any of the players on the squad at the games. It wasn't because he was the best player, certainly, but he was the most entertaining.

Thanks for your post! It will be interesting to see him and Amir together if the team decides to play small ball.

Comment

can i ask you a question sir? did you follow Hansbrough to Toronto
      anyways a fan is a fan no matter what
      welcome to the site fams
      What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
      The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
      No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

Indiana65 wrote: View Post
        fans were always giving Tyler the biggest reception of any of the players on the squad at the games. It wasn't because he was the best player, certainly, but he was the most entertaining.
        As entertaining as having a tooth pulled.

He's high motor and tough, and fans like to support those type of role players.

Comment

I have been wondering about this myself. He seems to play with passion. I checked his numbers and his rebounds per minute played have been going up each of the last three years. He actually collars rebounds at a slightly faster clip than Amir. Shoot FT at a 76% rate (dipped last year after being higher the two years previous.

I am looking forward to seeing how he fits in.

Comment

He's going to take out David West.

Comment

It's a good signing. I happy to have him as our back up PF
              "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Great post! Hansbrough will be really tough for other teams to handle on both sides of the court. He just wants the opportunity to show what he can do. He missed most of his rookie year, then after his second year, just after he was getting revved up, the Pacers brought in David West to replace him. West had a lot more experience, but now I am sure Hansbrough feels he has a lot to prove. Some of the joy went out of his game.

Look for that jumper to come around this year. He had to make some adjustments to his shot when he reached the pros, shooting the ball higher, so the mechanics were not entirely familiar. Related to this, Hansbrough is a streak shooter, which is pretty rare for a power forward. I went back and looked at his minutes for last season. When he played at least 19 minutes per game during the regular season, he shot over 50% in 16 games and under 50% in 6 games. More minutes means more effective shooting and a better overall game.

Comment

Indiana65 wrote: View Post
                  Augustin cannot feed the post and made no effort to get the ball to Hansbrough last year when he was in perfect position to do something with it.
                  This is absolutely true, both under the basket and in transition. I am hoping that Landry Fields or Dwight Buycks will mitigate some of Augustin's passing weaknesses and help with ball movement. Or that Lowry and Hansbrough can get on the same page. Lowry had a healthy 6.4 assists per game last season, even though he is supposedly the same height as Augustin. Buycks had 6 assists per game in summer league, which shows he can pass.
                  Last edited by caccia; Sat Sep 21, 2013, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the Republic OP! Thanks for the post!

I've always been a fan of Tyler. His motor and energy beside JV and Amir will absolutely exhausting for opponents. And fun to watch for the fans.

Put him with one of these two in their patented Double-Screen, and sit back with the popcorn:
                    Last edited by Joey; Sat Sep 21, 2013, 11:09 AM.

Comment

I agree....JV, Amir and Psycho T...toughness and never ending energy...I like it

Comment

JV's positioning still needs work so Tyler and Amir will continue to take the brunt of this teams post fouls

Comment

BobLoblaw wrote: View Post
                          As entertaining as having a tooth pulled.

He's high motor and tough, and fans like to support those type of role players.
                          Blah Blah Blah - let's wait and see Bob

Comment

Bingo on the Bike comment - Buycks will be the second unit PG.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                              Welcome to the Republic OP! Thanks for the post!

I've always been a fan of Tyler. His motor and energy beside JV and Amir will absolutely exhausting for opponents. And fun to watch for the fans.

Put him with one of these two in their patented Double-Screen, and sit back with the popcorn:
                              DeMar should have took the three..
                              What they got to say now? Nothing they can say now. Mobbin' on the low. Winnin' on the low
                              The city embraced me, made me feel at home. The only difference [between Compton and Toronto] for me is the cold. -DeMar
                              No Where Near the South Side #WeTheNorth

Comment

Working...
                              X