James Johnson Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bendit wrote: View Post
    JJ still has another year left on his rookie contract. Plenty of time to get a better feel for any improvement or character/role acceptance. A good backup option to have at the very least. Can anyone think of another SF/PF (versatility) backup in the league who is better, as young/cheap or has the potential to get better?
    A few are out there:

Dorell Wright
    Brandon Wright
    Ersan Ilyasova
    Al Farouq Aminu....maybe
    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• I hope he stays, as part of the 2nd unit.
      I think by now he should accept the fact that he's not starter material, as evidenced by his ass getting stuck on the bench for 2 years in Chicago.

I'm with Matt, i think he'd want to leave and see if he can be a starter elsewhere.

Comment

• tbihis wrote: View Post
        I hope he stays, as part of the 2nd unit.
        I think by now he should accept the fact that he's not starter material, as evidenced by his ass getting stuck on the bench for 2 years in Chicago.

I'm with Matt, i think he'd want to leave and see if he can be a starter elsewhere.
        He could start on Sacramento if Tyreke is gone, Charlotte, bottom feeding lottery teams mostly.
        NBADoppelgangers.tumblr.com

Comment

• The Key to JJ is completely mental. He has the ability to be a key starter on a championship team (i.e. lock down defender and and great help defender with shot blocking), but it is a question of doing the things which teams need and not necessarily what he wants to do. It's a decision he has to make as a professional.

The bottom line is, the games where he was good, he was really really good. He did things on the defensive end which we have not seen in a long time if ever. When you consider what we traded for him...I think a late second rounder?.....there is no way we should risk losing him. I think DC has the ability to get him to buy in to becoming what we need him to be.

As far as whether he will be on the second or first unit, there is no way we should be putting him on the 2nd unit even next year, but it is a question of what else BC is bringing in. The way I see it, if we have a 1 or 2 who can score 20 PPG, plus Bargs, JJ will have to defer and play defense. We need to bring in some guys who can create and send a message to JJ this way.
          Last edited by BallaBalla; Wed Apr 25, 2012, 11:54 AM.

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
            About a month ago a lot of us were questioning if he was a piece to move forward
            LOL, I'm not sure that really meant anything given the level of loyalty to players around here.

I believe he will be a solid bench player next year and a good trade asset as well.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              LOL, I'm not sure that really meant anything given the level of loyalty to players around here.

I believe he will be a solid bench player next year and a good trade asset as well.
              Agreed.

I also don't believe they hype about him being a "lockdown defender". He's a good defender and probably the best defender on a team filled with bad man-defenders, but he's hardly an elite defensive player. I would seriously hope that he wouldn't be kept rather than used as a trade asset, for no reason other than the fact that he's the team's "lockdown defender".

Comment

• JJ is stacked. His defense is potentially a game changer on any given night, and his offensive has improved leaps and bounds since the beginning of this year, that includes his decision making as well as his shooting. The improvement on his shooting is so impressive that he is probably our 2nd best mid range shooter after Demar. I am excited to see what a full training camp, and a regular off season with these coaches can do for his game.

People on this forum are going to disagree with me, but I think that even if we do draft a Harrison Barnes or another wing player, that they will be coming off of the bench and JJ will be starting. This is because Casey and Colangelo will be eager to win next year, and will have less patience to bring up a rookie in the starting line up. I see our new pick getting around 20-25 min. a game for the first half of this year, and if he proves himself or someone gets injured they start. Jonas Valanciunas will of course be starting.

You heard it from me first.

JJ ftw.
                "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
                  A few are out there:

Dorell Wright
                  Brandon Wright
                  Ersan Ilyasova
                  Al Farouq Aminu....maybe
                  Actually Aminu maybe the only one who meets all of the criteria I laid out (sf/pf versatility, young and cheap (rook contract), backup on team, potential). I should have added defensive skillset. In anycase my point really was the list is very small.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post

That's funny I don't see that much "loyalty for players around here" I hear the same players get praised one day who were bashed the day before. That's not loyalty, that's band wagon jumping.
                    "Defense wins championships."

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                      That's funny I don't see that much "loyalty for players around here"
                      That's what I was saying...

Comment

• JJ and Kleiza are pretty close offensively with a bit of an edge to Kleiza's range and FT shooting. Kleiza has also played over twice as many games and this year we never saw an upswing in his game like we did with JJ. Defensively it's a mismatch in JJ's favor.
                        I'd start JJ and be happy with it unless they need more than 10-12 pts from the three.

Comment

• SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                          The improvement on his shooting is so impressive that [JJ] is probably our 2nd best mid range shooter after Demar.
                          Yikes. I would much rather have Bargnani, Calderon, Bayless, DeRozan, Kleiza, and Forbes (maybe even Amir) shooting mid-range jumpers instead of JJ.

Yes, JJ's jumper has improved. But he's still a putrid shooter.

Comment

• I can see JJ being our starting SF ... but in that scenario, our starting SG is not named Demar Derozan.
                            That wing pairing needs an upgrade - in 1, if not both, spots.

Pairing JJ with Bradley Beal would be a good balance - adding Beal's outside shooting.
                            The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

• He's improved but he's still a meathead who mixes in some solid stat lines with some insanely erratic play. His late season benching does not bode well for his maturity and he looks like he could gain 15 lbs of fat at any moment. He is what he is I suppose: A stat stuffer on a bad team. I'd not shed a tear to see him leave because he is just a placeholder until we get a legit 3 man. I'd love him off the bench but I could say that about 4 other starters from the 11-12 lineup.
                              LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

• For what they paid to get him it was well worth the price. Consistency is something that might come with time.

Comment

Working...
                                X