This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptorsss wrote: View Post
    Would the Raptors take a look at Raja Bell? As for Outlaw, I liked him when he played for Portland, the fact that they deemed him expendable, at a position they could upgrade defensively, clearly means he's overvalued.
    Raja Bell? The guy is 33 years old and pretty much on his last legs. I think he'd be fine for a contender, but completely wrong for the Raptors. DeRozan, Weems and Belinelli need as much time as possible to develop, and signing an over the hill veteran to play the same position as them would hinder their development, which is the most important thing for the franchise right now.

Apollo wrote: View Post
    Can you tell me the last time they paid a significant amount of luxury tax over the past five years?

Oh and I never suggested that they're afraid to pay tax. They are, however, a corporation owned franchise and corporations for profit care about profit first.
    At what point did it warrant the team going over the tax threshold? They've never even won 50 games, and no GM worth his salt is going to go over the tax threshold without pretty much guaranteeing the team is going to be a contender. You don't spend to become a contender. You spend once you are one in order to reach the next level.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
      At what point did it warrant the team going over the tax threshold? They've never even won 50 games, and no GM worth his salt is going to go over the tax threshold without pretty much guaranteeing the team is going to be a contender. You don't spend to become a contender. You spend once you are one in order to reach the next level.
      16 teams made the playoffs. 10 of those paid luxury tax. Only one team who didn't pay tax advanced. That team was the Atlanta Hawks and they were swept in four straight in round 2. The team representing the West in the Finals is the L.A. Lakers. They're almost paying $22M in luxury tax. The team representing the East are the Boston Celtics. They're paying almost $17M in luxury tax. The Lakers have the top payroll. The Celtics rank 3rd.

I question your statement. I think you sometimes need to spend to reach the next level. This is especially true when you're capped for probably the next four seasons.

Comment

16 teams made the playoffs. 10 of those paid luxury tax. Only one team who didn't pay tax advanced. That team was the Atlanta Hawks and they were swept in four straight in round 2. The team representing the West in the Finals is the L.A. Lakers. They're almost paying $22M in luxury tax. The team representing the East are the Boston Celtics. They're paying almost $17M in luxury tax. The Lakers have the top payroll. The Celtics rank 3rd.

I question your statement. I think you sometimes need to spend to reach the next level. This is especially true when you're capped for probably the next four seasons.
        Of the 13 teams that were over the tax, 10 were playoff teams. Of those 10 teams, EVERY SINGLE ONE of those teams had been to the Conference Finals at least once in the previous 5 years, and San Antonio and Orlando only went above the tax this year. These are all veteran teams that are playoff tested.

And of the 3 teams that did not make it to the Finals once in the last five years, two are going to be under the cap this summer (along with Miami.

Again, these teams that are over the luxury tax either did so because they are or were very recently legitimate contenders or because they were simply not managed very well.

The majority of the teams that are over the luxury tax only went over the tax once they had most of the pieces to become contenders. And generally teams go over the tax to re-sign their own players as they improve over the years, or gradually through trades. I can only think of one time then the Raptors were limited with what they could do financially, and that's when they traded for Jermaine O'Neal, and the only thing they could have done was sign a free agent. And that wouldn't have made much of a difference, anyway.

Complaining that the Raptors haven't gone over the tax is a complaint that doesn't have much truth behind it. The Raptors simply haven't been in a position yet where they a) could have gone over the tax and b) should have gone over the tax.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          Of the 13 teams that were over the tax, 10 were playoff teams. Of those 10 teams, EVERY SINGLE ONE of those teams had been to the Conference Finals at least once in the previous 5 years, and San Antonio and Orlando only went above the tax this year. These are all veteran teams that are playoff tested.
          One could argue they made it to the conference finals because they were aggressive in spending.

The Raptors specific situation is one in that they're capped long term. They need to keep moving forward and buy in a market where many are looking to sell.

Comment

I thinking the signing of 'Ball' was an aggressive move by BC.
            -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
            -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

One could argue they made it to the conference finals because they were aggressive in spending.

The Raptors specific situation is one in that they're capped long term. They need to keep moving forward and buy in a market where many are looking to sell.
              Well, not really. Most of those teams only went after the tax AFTER they had become contenders. And, as far as I recall, the teams that other teams were over the tax the moment it was implemented.

There's just no evidence that a team can spend it's way into contention. The majority of it supports the fact that teams generally pay after having playoff success, thus giving them a reason to spend.

The Raptors are currently paying their players as if they have had playoff success, which they haven't obviously achieved. Ideally, guys like Bargnani and Calderon would have been paid after the team had been able to make it to the second round. The team's salary commitments are ahead of their success on the floor.
              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
              X