Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tim Leiweke named new President of MLSE - Going to make run at Phil Jackson?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Phil was hired as President, who's to say that he works in Toronto? That job doesn't require him to be in Toronto all the time. Bryan appeared to be a little hands on, but that doesn't mean every President works that way.

So I don't think the cold weather would matter much for that kind of a job anyway. If he was a coach/traveling with the team, then yes.. but as an executive? No, not at all.

Comment

• This is interesting. A couple of months ago when Leiweke's name came up few gave it any serious consideration. Jackson's name has come up and few are giving it serious consideration.

An organization is never going to be anything without huge testicles. Who has bigger testicles than Phil Jackson?
      Last edited by mcHAPPY; Sat Apr 27, 2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post

An organization is never going to be anything without huge testicles. Who has bigger testicles than Phil Jackson?
        I'd send you a picture but I am having trouble finding a camera that can fully capture the immensity of my balls
        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

• thead wrote: View Post
          I'd send you a picture but I am having trouble finding a camera that can fully capture the immensity of my balls
          they are swollen as well?
          Official Pope of the Raptors sponsored by MLSE.

Comment

• Via SI.com, from San Francisco Chronicle:

“I’ve had some talks with people and there are some interesting situations that are presenting themselves, but I really haven’t made up my mind yet what I’m going to do,” said Jackson. “None of it involves coaching. … There are three or four teams that have been interested.”

Jackson said he would be interested in a developing team “where you’d have the influence in (selecting the) coaching staff and the kind of culture that goes along with it. It goes all the way down to – not down to, but includes – trainers and the people who are doing the hands-on work with players, that have to be really embedded with how you put a team together.”
            Doesn't that sound like something Toronto could use?

But then there is a reality of hiring Jackson:

The day-to-day intensity of running an organization as a GM and the nitty-gritty financial knowledge that is often required of a team president might not be an ideal fit for Jackson’s skills and interests, which presumably would be focused on roster management and organizational development. Former Lakers GM Jerry West has transitioned into an advisory role with the Warriors, an arrangement that could serve as a model for Jackson should he continue to pursue a return to the NBA.
            Personally, I don't find that stuff that complicated. I don't know why the media continually push the CBA and etc. as so difficult to understand but then again the business side of sports has always appealed to me. But lets assume it is really difficult, now go hire Tom Penn:

While two eye-catching names -- Phil Jackson and Shaquille O'Neal -- were reported and then quickly dismissed as candidates to be the Orlando Magic's next general manager, sources say the team has been having talks with a less-splashy-but-more-substantive possibility: Tom Penn.

Penn, who declined to comment, has served in the front offices of both the Portland Trail Blazers and Memphis Grizzlies.

An NBA analyst for ESPN focusing primarily on salary-cap issues, Penn, 44, has a legal and financial background. Increasingly, NBA teams are giving that kind of experience more weight than having played in the league when hiring front-office personnel.

Recently hired GMs Bob Myers (Golden State) and Neil Olshey (Portland) both have backgrounds that are more academic than athletic.

Penn worked for seven seasons (2000-2007) as both legal counsel and assistant general manager for the Grizzlies and then three seasons as assistant GM with the Blazers. While with Portland, Penn helped the team pare a bloated payroll while remaining competitive but shedding their "JailBlazers" image. Penn also has some experience as a player agent.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/80...gm-sources-say
            So, Mr. Leiweke I have your Raptor hierarchy prepared:

President of Basketball Operations: Phil Jackson
            General Manager: Tom Penn
            Head Coach: Brian Shaw
            Trainer: Alex McKechnie

**although Raptors already have a very savvy cap guy on staff - what is his name again?**

Comment

**although Raptors already have a very savvy cap guy on staff - what is his name again?**
              Steve Fruitman, I believe his name was. Engineered the Hedo 4-way trade, allowing us to hold on to some of our guys that we'd otherwise have had to relinquish rights to.

Comment

• KHD wrote: View Post
                Steve Fruitman, I believe his name was. Engineered the Hedo 4-way trade, allowing us to hold on to some of our guys that we'd otherwise have had to relinquish rights to.
                He seems to be quite Fruitful!
                The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
                  He seems to be quite Fruitful!
                  Booooo!! Get off the stage!

Comment

• Primer wrote: View Post
                    Wow, you're delusional. "I don't believe that tweet because it doesn't agree with all the comments I've been posting." Did you know his partner also lives with him in Montana while he's there? If LA weather is good for his body, then why does he always recharge in Montana? You're vastly overestimating the impact of colder weather on Phil's joints to a point of comedy.
                    120 comments of Raptors fans high-fiving one another because Phil Jackson is coming to save the franchise based on one loose connection to Tim Leiweke. Someone referring to the Toronto GM job as the "best in the NBA" beginning next summer... And I'm the delusional one?

All the stories I've read so far have "unnamed sources" speculating that the Raptors are considering making an offer to Jackson... you know, along with similar stories circulating with PJ and Brooklyn, Seattle, Charlotte, et al. This all seems to stem from Jeanie Buss and Tim Leiweke running in some of the same circles while in Los Angeles... beyond that it's just a lot of vague statements like "Jackson loves the city!!"

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and if I am, I will be the first to pipe up and say so. I'll expect the same from you if Jackson doesn't end up here.
                    Last edited by Fully; Mon Apr 29, 2013, 10:49 AM.

Comment

*drools*
                      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• Fully wrote: View Post
                        120 comments of Raptors fans high-fiving one another because Phil Jackson is coming to save the franchise based on one loose connection to Tim Leiweke. Someone referring to the Toronto GM job as the "best in the NBA" beginning next summer... And I'm the delusional one?

All the stories I've read so far have "unnamed sources" speculating that the Raptors are considering making an offer to Jackson... you know, along with similar stories circulating with PJ and Brooklyn, Seattle, Charlotte, et al. This all seems to stem from Jeanie Buss and Tim Leiweke running in some of the same circles while in Los Angeles... beyond that it's just a lot of vague statements like "Jackson loves the city!!"

Like I said, I hope I'm wrong and if I am, I will be the first to pipe up and say so. I'll expect the same from you if Jackson doesn't end up here.
                        We're selling hope here remember? And there isn't much else to buy, so might as well enjoy this hope untill the next one arrives.

Comment

• http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-2011-playoffs

some insight into mr Jackson

Comment

• Raptors pursuing Jackson a reality?

The Toronto Raptors, emboldened by the news that the Sacramento Kings apparently won't be moving to Seattle, have ramped up their pursuit of Phil Jackson to be their new team president, according to sources close to the situation.
                            http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/92...nt-sources-say

Seems like with the Kings staying put in Sac-town, that the push to get PJ in Toronto is become more real in each passing day.

Comment

• planetmars wrote: View Post
                              http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/92...nt-sources-say

Seems like with the Kings staying put in Sac-town, that the push to get PJ in Toronto is become more real in each passing day.
                              Fingers crossed
                              @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Git Er done BC!!! heh I mean TL!!

Comment

Working...
                                X