NBA Expansion in Montreal: Five Reasons Why Canada Deserves a Second NBA Team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tim W. wrote: View Post
    I saw the article on the front page, but when I clicked through to it, I saw it was a slideshow, which I hate, so I didn't read it. Besides, it's the Bleacher Report, so I find it surprising to hear that it was well thought out. What I don't understand is why Montreal would be ahead of Vancouver to get an NBA team. The only sports team Montreal seems to have been able to sustain is the Canadiens. Didn't they lose their CFL team?

Vancouver HAD an NBA team that was unjustly taken away. I think they (we) deserve another one.
    Sorry Tim, going to have to disagree with you on this.
    First off the Montreal Alouettes are THE MOST successful team in the CFL if I am not mistaken.
    Expos were VERY popular. Management was a disaster.
    Montreal offers millions of fans, in a much smaller area. As the article points out, in terms of potential fanbase (population including surrounding areas), it would be fourth behind LA, NY, Toronto. Not bad.

I'm not a fan of the BleacherReport, and rarely read it, but this is the first I've heard of this idea, and I don't think its a bad one.

ADD: Sorry Tim, didn't see others had pointed out that CFL thing.

ADD: And Apollo, I am from Montreal, living in Toronto, and I can tell you the Basketball fans in Montreal are numerous. 22,000 showed up for a preseason game!

If you ever go to a Concordia game, or Laval Rouge et Or, man you'd be surprised.

ADD I should say that I don't actually think this will, or should happen. I just think that Montreal COULD support a team. That is my only argument.
    Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 8, 2011, 10:52 AM.

Comment

Stern has openly said he'd love to see the NBA in Vancouver again. Wouldn't shock me if a team like Memphis or the hornets were sent there.
      @sweatpantsjer

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        First off the Montreal Alouettes are THE MOST successful team in the CFL if I am not mistaken.
        Sorry, I don't wanna nitpick, but the Winnipeg Blue Bombers have the most Grey Cup appearances, while my Argos have the most Grey Cups .

Personally, I think there should be a team in Vancouver before there is a team in Montreal, mostly because a) there was already a team there that was unjustly taken away, and b) the climate in Van city is very nice, I think a lot players would find it much more to their liking than TO or Montreal.

Comment

I'd LOVE, LOVE, LOVE to see another team in Canada just to create some sort of rivalry, but seeing as it's tough to get guys to want to play in Toronto, there's no way people are going to want to play in Vancouver, let alone Montreal. Montreal is one of those places where guys like to visit, but not to play.

Comment

ceez wrote: View Post
            Stern has openly said he'd love to see the NBA in Vancouver again. Wouldn't shock me if a team like Memphis or the hornets were sent there.
            You'll see a team in Vegas, Seattle or Kansas City before Vancouver.

Comment

ADD: And Apollo, I am from Montreal, living in Toronto, and I can tell you the Basketball fans in Montreal are numerous. 22,000 showed up for a preseason game!
              That is because it was one game, like a special occasion. But what's more important, is that many players won't want to go to Montreal. And I honestly think Seattle deserves to get a team before Montreal ever does.

Comment

There's a lot that happened in Vancouver that is not common knowledge. They were so badly managed, it wasn't funny. And that was before they were bought by an owner who had no intention of keeping the team in Vancouver. I have a close friend who worked for the Grizzlies and I heard plenty of stories. I can't tell you how many times he told me about stuff he saw first hand that had me shaking my head in despair. It was just sad.
                Vancouver's largest operational problem was the Stern handpicked GM Stu Jackson who wasted his high draft picks at about the most critical opening years of a franchise. He then gets the "policeman" job at the NBA suite in NY soon after. He must have photos of Stern.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                  Vancouver's largest operational problem was the Stern handpicked GM Stu Jackson who wasted his high draft picks at about the most critical opening years of a franchise. He then gets the "policeman" job at the NBA suite in NY soon after. He must have photos of Stern.
                  Originally, yes, Jackson was a colossal mistake that killed the growth of the franchise immediately, but after he left, things actually got worse.

I actually thought Jackson was a decent coach. I thought he did a good job in New York and Wisconsin, but didn't seem to know what to do running the organization. The one thing that pretty much sums up Jackson, was that he coached Michael Finley at Wisconsin, so knew him first hand, but failed to draft him. Exactly how poor a judge of talent are you if you coach a guy for several years, but don't realize he's someone you should have gone after in the draft? FInley was probably the second best player from that draft behind Garnett.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I saw the article on the front page, but when I clicked through to it, I saw it was a slideshow, which I hate, so I didn't read it. Besides, it's the Bleacher Report, so I find it surprising to hear that it was well thought out. What I don't understand is why Montreal would be ahead of Vancouver to get an NBA team. The only sports team Montreal seems to have been able to sustain is the Canadiens. Didn't they lose their CFL team?

Vancouver HAD an NBA team that was unjustly taken away. I think they (we) deserve another one.
                    Hell ya!

Comment

MangoKid wrote: View Post
                      You'll see a team in Vegas, Seattle or Kansas City before Vancouver.
                      I agree with this, with the exception of Seattle, based on everything I've read over the past two-three years, its bang on. I think Vegas would make the most sense IF they could overcome the gambling issues.

Comment

Not that I'm pushing the point of Montreal getting a team, because I don't believe it is realistic; however it should be noted that the ENTIRE state of Kansas only has roughly 2.5M people ... The metrolpolitan area surrounding Montreal is 3.6M people ...

The Bell Center is already proven to be one of the best Arenas in Pro sports, and with a capacity of 22,114 for Basketball Games, would actually the HIGHEST capacity of ANY ARENA IN THE LEAGUE.
                        The Kansas Sprint Center would only hold roughly 18,000. That's ALOT of revenues to miss out on.

I can't see Kansas getting a team any time soon (or ever really. The NBA mentions them because they built the Sprint Center almost exclusively to lure an NBA team. But it just doesn't make Dollars or Sense.)
                        Especially with Seattle now talking about building a new Arena.

Comment

Not that I'm pushing the point of Montreal getting a team, because I don't believe it is realistic; however it should be noted that the ENTIRE state of Kansas only has roughly 2.5M people ... The metrolpolitan area surrounding Montreal is 3.6M people ...

The Bell Center is already proven to be one of the best Arenas in Pro sports, and with a capacity of 22,114 for Basketball Games, would actually the HIGHEST capacity of ANY ARENA IN THE LEAGUE.
                          The Kansas Sprint Center would only hold roughly 18,000. That's ALOT of revenues to miss out on.

I can't see Kansas getting a team any time soon (or ever really. The NBA mentions them because they built the Sprint Center almost exclusively to lure an NBA team. But it just doesn't make Dollars or Sense.)
                          Especially with Seattle now talking about building a new Arena.
                          Kansas City is in Missouri.. population of KC alone is like 4 million, i think

edit: i take that back.... a quick googling indicates there are TWO Kansas Cities... on either side of the river.

that shows me for not googling before thinking.

Comment

heinz57 wrote: View Post
                            Kansas City is in Missouri.. population of KC alone is like 4 million, i think

edit: i take that back.... a quick googling indicates there are TWO Kansas Cities... on either side of the river.

that shows me for not googling before thinking.
                            No you are absolutely correct. That was my mistake. It is that Kansas City which the team would be moved too. The Sprint Center is located in Kansas City, Missouri.

However a quick look shows the Metropolitan Area of KC, Missouri is still only 2.1M people. Still a significant drop from the 3.6M people in Metropolitan Montreal. Though Missouri does offer more opportunitys than Kansas State would, I imagine. But still. Kansas?! All I ever think about is the KC Royals, and how they will NEVER be a good baseball team because no one actually remembers they exist come Season time.

Good find Heinz.

ADD And further more, who the hell do they think they are, putting a city named KANSAS not in KANSAS. That's like putting a city named Washington, NOT in Washington State ... OH.. right ...
                            Last edited by Joey; Tue Mar 8, 2011, 04:18 PM.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                              I agree with this, with the exception of Seattle, based on everything I've read over the past two-three years, its bang on. I think Vegas would make the most sense IF they could overcome the gambling issues.
                              Seattle won't get a new team until they build a new arena, and who knows when that will be. The idea of moving a team to Vegas seems to be dead, now. If the Maloofs have decided on Anaheim instead of Vegas, you know it's a no-go.

As for Kansas City, it's a possibility, but the way the economy is going, I would think moving a team to Vancouver would make much more economic sense.
                              Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                              Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

As for Kansas City, it's a possibility, but the way the economy is going, I would think moving a team to Vancouver would make much more economic sense.
                                Good point. totally forgot about the USD going to crap. Good old Canadian monopoly money is worth more than ever these days.

Comment

Working...
                                X