Derozan wants to stay a Raptor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Derozan wants to stay a Raptor.

@stackmack: 1/2 @DeMar_DeRozan on staying in Toronto: “Yeah. At the end of the day, this is where I got drafted, this is definitely where I want to be…
    @stackmack: 2/2 @DeMar_DeRozan continued…I just want to bring good things to the city and be a part of it for years to come. We’ll see what happens.”

Hmm... Can't decide if this is a good thing or bad thing.

Yeah, sure.

Comment

Feels like a pretty standard line to say in his position. Last year of rookie contract and looking for a big pay day. he needs to show loyalty to this team, portray characteristics and an image that any other team would want.

I dont want him to stay. even for just the min. Unless he can learn to dribble and pass hes just a black hole that the team can use without.

Comment

Him saying it is better than not saying it.

But any player with a brain is always going to say he wants to stay where he is. Nothing to gain and everything to lose otherwise.

I do think he is sincere though, fwiw.

At the end of the day, both he and the Raptors are going to do what is in the best interests of themselves. Hopefully something works out that is mutually beneficial for both.

Comment

John Farrell said he wanted to stay...look how that turned out LOL..

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            But any player with a brain...
            key words
            LET'S GO RAP-TORS!!!!!

Comment

I think he's sincere too, but like Matt said, he'd be doing himself a disservice if he didn't say so.

I like the kid, and his work ethic. But based purely on his on-court performance, he's easily replaceable. His fundamental basketball skills (dribbling, passing, shooting, defence) are growing far too slowly. Yes, he's only 23, but some of these skills should've been gained in high school.

Comment

If you were the GM, how much would you be willing to offer Mr. Derozan? Would you give him the same money as Bargnani 5 years $50 mil? That would probably be the max I'd give him.

Comment

Jaworski wrote: View Post
                  If you were the GM, how much would you be willing to offer Mr. Derozan? Would you give him the same money as Bargnani 5 years $50 mil? That would probably be the max I'd give him.
                  I would only offer DeRozan something in the $5-7M range, but I'm guessing he's looking for something more in the $6-9M range (at least). I worry that DeRozan (or his agent) will point to the overpaid contracts of Amir & Fields, as justification for getting more money than that (ie: $7M+) from the Raptors. He'd have a point, but I think his market value is little more than MLE, given the fact that he's an inefficient one-dimensional scorer and terrible defender, who's shown little improvement through his first three years in the league.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    ...His fundamental basketball skills (dribbling, passing, shooting, defence) are growing far too slowly...
                    I would agree. I don't think he has put in the work (or type of work) he should have in the off-season. Having said that, I think his ball handling has been much better. Better ball handling should translate into better passing this year, during regular team play. He has been keeping his head up more, form what I have seen, and isn't losing control of the ball or getting stripped as much. Small sample size, but those last two factors should help him boost his assist numbers and reduce his turnovers. Couple that with maintaining or increasing his trips to the line and I am actually being a little more optimistic about DeMar this year. Be interesting to see how it pans out.

I think he and AB benefit big time from having Lowry and JV on the team. And I am interested to see how having Fields running constant back cuts will affect his game as well. DeMar may have been the victim of the make up of the team, given his capabilities and skill set. he may be the biggest beneficiary.

Comment

I think he means it. Players, and not just superstars, usually say theyre leaving it up to their agent to figure it out, or its too soon to talk about it lets just focus on the season and let it play out, yada yada yada

but Demar is specific. he wants to play here. of course, it still depends if the Raps want him to play here, hehehe.

Comment

Good point by CalgaryRapsFan regarding Amir and Fields. I think Matt mentioned the MLE in another thread and I'd agree with that. I'd be fine with anything up to 6 million a year. Long term deal doesn't need to be reached even a 2 year or 3 year deal would be okay by me. I agree with the comments on his limitations as a player but I still see him as an asset (If on a reasonable deal).

Comment

Puffer wrote: View Post
                          I would agree. I don't think he has put in the work (or type of work) he should have in the off-season. Having said that, I think his ball handling has been much better. Better ball handling should translate into better passing this year, during regular team play. He has been keeping his head up more, form what I have seen, and isn't losing control of the ball or getting stripped as much. Small sample size, but those last two factors should help him boost his assist numbers and reduce his turnovers. Couple that with maintaining or increasing his trips to the line and I am actually being a little more optimistic about DeMar this year. Be interesting to see how it pans out.

I think he and AB benefit big time from having Lowry and JV on the team. And I am interested to see how having Fields running constant back cuts will affect his game as well. DeMar may have been the victim of the make up of the team, given his capabilities and skill set. he may be the biggest beneficiary.
                          I'm not making excuses for the guy (well, actually I am, hehehe) but we also have to consider the fact that he's only been in the league three years, and those three years were not exactly roses and chocolates. first year he played behind Bosh and Bargnani and under a new coach with no NBA experience and offensive minded. year 2 7 new teammates, thrown in as the second scoring option behind bargs. 3rd year no training camp, new coach, new culture.

Comment

Maybe it(his comment) means that a contract extension is almost finalised.
                            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Working...
                            X