Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Quietest Offseason Since Colangelo Got Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raptor4Ever wrote: View Post
    I read it but it was so insane that I did not want to even address it.
    Do you really think NO will give CP3 away just for TPE !! Then we use him to get some draft picks and young players ?!
    Do you know what other teams are offering for CP3 ?

BC can not pull off a simple trade anymore ( Barns) and you are expecting of a miracle.
    The guy is Done and the final bullet in his career will be a season with Raptor in which the team will finish with under 20 wins.
    You're still not understanding. NO trades CP3 to the Knicks, Magic, Whatever. They can't make the deal happen because of being over the cap and salaries and what not. The Raptors can be the third team in and help to broker the deal by using their TPE. In return for helping the deal happen, Toronto gets a mix of hard assets that are somewhat easier to use in the future than a TPE. I think I was pretty clear in my post that Toronto would not come out of the deal with CP3, and that CP3 did not want to play in Toronto anyway.

Of course, if there's a clear cut deal for CP3 out there, the Raps aren't needed. But if I'm BC, I try to stick my nose in to help something out and try to come out of the deal with a few more pieces.

Comment

Raptor4Ever - You really have to read DonCarlos' quote more carefully, because you're making yourself look foolish. All he is saying is that the Raptors can jump in on a potential Chris Paul trade, and become a third wheel and use their TPE as a trade chip in getting some players out of it. Not one mention of the Raptors getting Chris Paul, or that New Orleans would trade Chris Paul for the TPE. Because of the strict rules regarding trades and salary cap, it is really hard to move big salaries when there are only two teams involved in a trade. Hence the need for a third team, maybe even a fourth team to get involved to make things work. That's all he's saying.

Comment

Kreza23 wrote: View Post
        Raptor4Ever - You really have to read DonCarlos' quote more carefully, because you're making yourself look foolish. All he is saying is that the Raptors can jump in on a potential Chris Paul trade, and become a third wheel and use their TPE as a trade chip in getting some players out of it. Not one mention of the Raptors getting Chris Paul, or that New Orleans would trade Chris Paul for the TPE. Because of the strict rules regarding trades and salary cap, it is really hard to move big salaries when there are only two teams involved in a trade. Hence the need for a third team, maybe even a fourth team to get involved to make things work. That's all he's saying.
        It seems like you guys are not just getting it

Look at CP3's desired destinations : Orlando, New York and Dallas, then look at their expiring contract of those teams and ... None of them need Toronto to make the deal happen.

Saying we can use our TPE for CP3 is just unrealistic. This is like saying, we can use our TPE in trade for Carmelo and get some young talent and draft picks !!
        Heck, I am willing to make a bet with you that such a deal will never happen.

End of Story
        Last edited by Raptor4Ever; Sun Jul 25, 2010, 11:22 PM.

Comment

It seems like you guys are not just getting it

Look at CP3's desired destinations : Orlando, New York and Dallas, then look at their expiring contract of those teams and ... None of them need Toronto to make the deal happen.

Saying we can use our TPE for CP3 is just unrealistic. This is like saying, we can use our TPE in trade for Carmelo and get some young talent and draft picks !!
          Heck, I am willing to make a bet with you that such a deal will never happen.

End of Story
          Sorry, bro...but it seems like you don't understand how the salary cap works...get your facts straight before you start rambling.

Comment

LOL
            why don't you tell us how it works ?
            Let's say, CP3 wants to be traded ( not signed as a FA) to Orlando, how is salary cap comes to play ?

Comment

LOL
              why don't you tell us how it works ?
              Let's say, CP3 wants to be traded ( not signed as a FA) to Orlando, how is salary cap comes to play ?
              I just typed a reply and deleted it by accident, so I'm gonna make this short.

Let's say New Orleans insists on getting rid of Okafor and his bad contract (as has been suggested). Let's say Orlando has a deal with New Orleans for Paul, but they don't want Okafor because they have Howard and Lewis. Here comes Toronto with their TPE. They offer to take Okafor off of their hands, and for their troubles, Orlando also gives Toronto a 1st round pick for some trash (Alabi or Jones).

New Orleans receives Gortat, Nelson, Orton, 11.5 million TPE
              Orlando receives Paul, Alabi/Jones
              Toronto receives Okafor, 1st round pick from Orlando

I'm NOT suggesting that New Orleans would take this, just showing you how the TPE could help in facilitating a deal. Does that make it more clear for you?

Comment

Kreza

There is many if this and if that in your scenario which makes it very unrealistic. AS far as Okafor and a draft picks goes :
                you give NO , 11.5 TPE, Alabi and you can have Okafor + their 1st round pick tomorrow. No need to include Orlando here,

Comment

Kreza

There is many if this and if that in your scenario which makes it very unrealistic. AS far as Okafor and a draft picks goes :
                  you give NO , 11.5 TPE, Alabi and you can have Okafor + their 1st round pick tomorrow. No need to include Orlando here,
                  Again, you're commenting without reading properly. I've clearly stated that my goal wasn't to come up with a trade offer that the three teams would definitely do. My goal was to show how the TPE could help the Raptors get some assets as a third wheel in a deal for Chris Paul. You're clearly not getting the point of what I and others here are saying. I don't even like Okafor, I think he's overrated as a defender. But as a team with a huge TPE, we have the ability to swoop in on big trades and help other teams while helping ourselves.

I'm not going to use player names anymore, because you're obviously just going to get side-tracked again about whether the deal is realistic or not. But if Orlando needs to trade a player to make the salaries match, but New Orleans isn't interested in that player, Toronto can come in and take that player for their TPE. Or, as I suggested, if New Orleans wants to take advantage of this opportunity to get rid of another of their players, and Orlando isn't having it, then again, Toronto can come in and use their TPE. That's all that has been suggested in this forum so far. Nobody has said we are trading our TPE for CP3. As you have suggested, that is unrealistic. But the point is, nobody has said that we should do that.

Comment

It's probably easier to use an actual example that happened at one point. In the 2009 season when we wanted to land Turkoglu for Marion, the Grizzlies helped facilitate the 3-way trade. They acquired Jerry Stackhouse, a 2nd round pick, and $2-3M in cash. Stackhouse was waived the next day, where his contract was bought out for $2M (cancelled out by the cash Memphis acquired in the trade). So basically, by having cap space (or a TPE in our case), Memphis landed a 2nd round pick and also unloaded Greg Buckner (he was due $4M, but waived for $1M).

It's obviously not very flashy, but it's a very sound transaction. Memphis gained a second round pick for basically nothing. The Raptors can do something similar, except we have a very large TPE (much more than the cap space Memphis had) so it's quite possible we end up with something better.

EDIT: Here's another, easier, example involving the Grizzlies. To help the Nuggets get under the luxury tax, the Grizzlies traded a future "condiitonal" second round pick (basically, a second round pick that Denver will never get) for Steven Hunter. Denver also had to give up cash considerations (to cover Hunter's contract) and a 2010 conditional first round pick. That pick became the 25th pick in the draft, Dominique Jones, who was traded to Dallas for even more cash (likely $3M). What did Denver get out of this? They didn't have to pay luxury tax.
                    Last edited by Marz; Mon Jul 26, 2010, 08:54 AM.

Comment

ya no way CP3 comes here even if he does he will leave the next season so whats the use
                      ya dun noe

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
                        ya no way CP3 comes here even if he does he will leave the next season so whats the use
                        actually he has two years left before he can opt out. buyt,nobody is suggesting toronto get cp3 they are suggesting toronto get okafor(which I don't dig,but,w/e) and just for helping orlando get cp3(in this case) orlando gives toronto a little something for their efforts a gift basket in the form of an imaginary draftpick.
                        If Your Uncle Jack Helped You Off An Elephant, Would You Help Your Uncle Jack Off An Elephant?

Sometimes, I like to buy a book on CD and listen to it, while reading music.

Comment

Working...
                        X