• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D. Smith spills some beans

Very very little, but still something that perked my attention,

This is in response to a certain comment on Doug Smiths raptors blog:

"
    So BC is pretty much a lame duck manager cause his contract is over so the vultures will be circling cause they know he is desperate. A couple questions,
    1- Can you see a scenario where his contract is extended at this point?
    2- Does he still have complete basketball decision autonomy to wheel and deal or do his decisions have to be approved by those with taller foreheads than he?

Blogger's note: No, and yes
    "

And in a clarifying comment:

"
    Does your "yes" in reply to 2) mean yes, he has full autonomy, or yes, his decisions have to be approved?
    And does your "no" in response to 1) reflect any inside knowledge you may have gleaned from sources inside the Evil Empire, or is it simply your considered opinion?

Blogger's note: Yes means he has as much autonomy as ever; at some level, every manager has to get approval but not for relatively mundane things; the no is part common sense, part private conversations that I won't make public"

I think that many here are critical of D. Smith, but no one can ignore his tads of restricted insight.
    Taking the temperature of the room here, it seems like BC is on the hot seat.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

At this point I think everyone is on the hot seat.

Comment

Smith - Avoid his opinion unless you want to just hear the organization's parrot speak. But take his remarks from inside sources regarding the team to heart, they are usually quite accurate.

Very good sign, although dangerous at the same time. Ego driven lame duck with autonomy on decisions?

Comment

Craiger wrote: View Post
        Smith - Avoid his opinion unless you want to just hear the organization's parrot speak. But take his remarks from inside sources regarding the team to heart, they are usually quite accurate.

Very good sign, although dangerous at the same time. Ego driven lame duck with autonomy on decisions?
        When AA, who is considered one of the brightest young GMs in baseball and has the full support of ownership and his president, wanted to do the Marlins deal he had to clear with Rogers. I can't imagine Rogers is going to give BC much in the way of flexibility.

As I said last week, I'm not too concerned about BC doing something stupid because: a) he has nothing anybody wants other than Val and Lowry and ownership won't let him do those deals; b) his leeway is very limited; c) he has no cap room to take on contracts; d) big deals in the NBA are rare and he doesn't have the assets to do one.

BC is all out of cards....

Comment

I still would like to chase him with a mob down the QEW back to buffalo. Can they just fire him please.

Comment

IMO unless something miraculous happens, his contract will not be extended and he doesn't have complete basketball autonomy at this time.
            Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
              When AA, who is considered one of the brightest young GMs in baseball and has the full support of ownership and his president, wanted to do the Marlins deal he had to clear with Rogers. I can't imagine Rogers is going to give BC much in the way of flexibility.

As I said last week, I'm not too concerned about BC doing something stupid because: a) he has nothing anybody wants other than Val and Lowry and ownership won't let him do those deals; b) his leeway is very limited; c) he has no cap room to take on contracts; d) big deals in the NBA are rare and he doesn't have the assets to do one.

BC is all out of cards....
              While I absolutely want to believe you Slaw, I know I'm not going to be comfortable until either he's gone or Bargnani's gone (or more than likely both)

Comment

While I absolutely want to believe you Slaw, I know I'm not going to be comfortable until either he's gone or Bargnani's gone (or more than likely both)
                I won't feel confident even after that. Do we really trust MLSE/Larry Tanenbaum to find someone capable of building a winner?

Comment

Wonder which teammate took the first snipe and if there is an old fashioned vendetta brewing in the Italians blood.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                    I won't feel confident even after that. Do we really trust MLSE/Larry Tanenbaum to find someone capable of building a winner?
                    BC was considered a good hire and actually lived up to expectations initially. I have no doubt that MLSE/Tanenbaum are VERY keen on building a winner. The problem is as long as Raps remain a losing team, they will not attract players.
                    Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Doug Smith is on the Raptors payroll....he has no credibility and will print whatever he is told.

Comment

Unfortuneately NO...

Comment

I don't trust Tanenbaum but I have respect for Rogers. If you look at their tenure as Jays owner, they hired Ricciardi who was a decent GM (despite some issues) and came from a combined scouting and analytical background. They've hired Beeston and Anthopoulos since and they have now committed big dollars to winning. They've had some decent seasons go awry and mostly 500 teams but they also have never put crap on the field - not since the early Ricciardi days.

I also talk frequently with a colleague who is quite dialled in at MLSE (he has really interesting stories about the NHL labor stuff - spending a full day negotiating whether a traded player's wife get a first class or economy ticket to the new city) but he has told me that there are a lot of people at the new MLSE that aren't crazy about Colangelo or Burke, though he doesn't know if it has amounted to anything.

Comment

slaw wrote: View Post
                            I don't trust Tanenbaum but I have respect for Rogers. If you look at their tenure as Jays owner, they hired Ricciardi who was a decent GM (despite some issues) and came from a combined scouting and analytical background. They've hired Beeston and Anthopoulos since and they have now committed big dollars to winning. They've had some decent seasons go awry and mostly 500 teams but they also have never put crap on the field - not since the early Ricciardi days.

I also talk frequently with a colleague who is quite dialled in at MLSE (he has really interesting stories about the NHL labor stuff - spending a full day negotiating whether a traded player's wife get a first class or economy ticket to the new city) but he has told me that there are a lot of people at the new MLSE that aren't crazy about Colangelo or Burke, though he doesn't know if it has amounted to anything.
                            I hate Rogers - but that is as a customer of their services.

As an owner of the Raptors though - and Leafs, Jays - they have a real incentive to win and I am optimistic. The purpose of the purchase of the teams is to provide content for their sport stations. The Leafs will have viewers regardless but the Jays and Raps aren't likely to be a television draw if they are not winning.

Makes sense they want to win. Achieving it is another matter.

A great start would be to hire some of the posters around here. Make a reality show of it. Air it on TSN2. lol

Comment

Rogers is a part owner. How much pull they actually have is anyone's guess.

Comment

Working...
                              X