Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chad Ford Mock Draft 1.0: Raptors select Enes Kanter (Enes v Jonas starts post #139)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more and more I read and see of him the more I'm sold on him. Pair him up front with Davis and that's a meeeeean front court.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post

He's not Allen Iverson, why does he need to finish in traffic? He's a big man who has lots of moves down low in the post. He also has a face up shot. Why does he need a vertical?
      ???Bigs always finish in traffic - it's where they live...the clips we've seen are him finishing on highschool bigs and it seems like he hardly creates space...I see him being blocked at the rim a lot. The game is changing, wiry athletic bigs who can run are the new mold....

Comment

EaseMyPain wrote: View Post
        If he blows people away in tryouts, he will be a high pick. I kind of see Colangelo taking Vesey, thinking he will be a perfect 3/4 "mismatch" guy. He loves soft, tall white guys.
        Like Ed Davis, DeRozan, Amare, Shawn Marion and all those other soft, tall white guys he's drafted over the years? If he does it once, it must be a rule, right?
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

mattscottnelson wrote: View Post
          ???Bigs always finish in traffic - it's where they live...the clips we've seen are him finishing on highschool bigs and it seems like he hardly creates space...
          I personally, think is incorrect. He's played professionally for years in Europe and 'finishes' on them, quite readily. Did you not read the scouting report Apollo just posted?
          "Combines brute Strength with High Skill Level"
          "Enjoys Contact"
          "Has a strong frame and a high basketball IQ"
          "Long arms and solid athleticism allow him to be a force in the paint"
          "Tremendous Rebounder".
          Again, I'm not sure alot of the people criticizing him have actually done a sufficient amount of homework on this kid. He would have been the #1 pick had he not been disqualified from NCAA.

Comment

My big concern with Kanter is with his defense. Basically, there seems to be a deafening silence in this regard, other than scattered fragments here and there. I'm not saying he's a bad defender, I'm just saying I don't know because no one has anything to say.

I have no doubts that he will be a pretty good to excellent offensive C, whether early on or down the line. But there's also Valanciunas, who is an equally intriguing option: for all the talk of Kanter's offensive skills, you hear the same about Valanciunas' defense. Kanter is definitely the safer option, I would think, as he seems to have the fundamentals down and it's through these that he succeeds (Ed Davis style). Valanciunas - albeit I don't have much to back this up - seems to be successful due to his motor, drive and tenacity (Javale McGee style), which leads me to think he's the bigger gamble, but if he learns the fundamentals could have the bigger payoff. I don't know which I'd prefer, but one of the values - if not the greatest value - of having BC as the GM is that no matter who he decides to choose, I have complete confidence that he will have likely chosen the better player. One thing I will say is that it's quite possible and indeed likely that if Kanter had played this season he could easily have been the consensus #1. I think it's possible he's that good (that, and centers seem to be locks for 1st overall: in the past 30 years more than half of all 1st picks have been Cs).

It also says a lot about this draft that 2 of the 3 top picks are players who basically played no ball at all this past season.

What I want is to have the Raps bring both Kanter and Valanciunas in for workouts together and have them square off. That'd be something the details of which would be worth reading about.

Comment

He's awesome, would be great, maybe we can upgrade our guards by trading Andrea. We're probably not gonna get a good guard through the draft.

Comment

???Bigs always finish in traffic - it's where they live...the clips we've seen are him finishing on highschool bigs and it seems like he hardly creates space...I see him being blocked at the rim a lot. The game is changing, wiry athletic bigs who can run are the new mold....
                No they don't. That's why outside of Dwight Howard you only see two other centers in the top 50 for FTA. Most centers are either a back to the bucket, pull a move or two and make the attempt kind of players or they're catch and shoot face up kind of players. Very few are able to penetrate and finish in traffic. Bargnani is a good example of one who is good at it. Kanter is not that kind of guy. He is a low post player who can hit the face up jumper. I don't consider scoring with your back to the bucket down low in the post "finishing in traffic" because it doesn't typically entail that unless the guy demands help on him. I consider finishing in traffic players guys who face up, penetrate and finish with multiple defenders trying to make a play on them. Those kinds of guys typically get to the line often. I'm talking about the LeBron's, Wade's and Durant's of the league. Dwight is the only center in the league that gets there a lot. It's because guys can't handle this athleticism more than anything.

Even if you disagree with my view on what should be considered "finishing in traffic", the scouting report on him says it in black and white, he "Has the strength to muscle through contact and finish … Smooth offensive game. Has a soft touch and excellent shooting motion"

Comment

I find it entertaining when people say so-and-so doesn't have the size to play C in the NBA, he's only 6'11". So if he's 7 ft he does have the size? Even if he's 30 lbs lighter? Just so everyone is clear - 12 inches in a foot.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                    So Sullinger isn't as Developed or Experienced as Kanter, that's all that says.
                    Kanter is younger, bigger and arguably more athletic. As has been pointed out, if Kanter had played for Kentucky this year, he'd likely be the Top pick in the this Years draft.

ADD I posted this in the Draft Sticky, but:

And this is hardly a case of Men Against Boys. Just because Kanter has been playing Professionally, doesn't take away from the fact that he was able to seperate himself from the literal 'Men', even when he was 17.

Just because Jennings played in Europe Professionally before the NBA doesn't mean he's all of a sudden got more ability, or an added advantage.

Exactly, which is saying a lot and could mean a lot as some are placing a large emphasis on that particular all-star game that he went off.

If Kanter played for Kentucky he might have well been considered for the top pick in this draft or he might have fallen as scouts can determine his weaknesses better. It's a stretch to assume that if he had of played that he would have performed to be top pick status. Not saying it's not possible but definitely not a given.

And playing against men in a professional league does give you an advantage. While the players in the league might not be as talented as a Div 1 power conference teams your playing against experienced professional basketball players. Not sure how that isn't a significant advantage in his development especially when matched up against more inexeprienced players who are still getting coached up and might not understand the nuances of the game.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                      I think Kanter is younger than him. Let me try and understand this, Kanter gets a knock because he was able crush Sullinger AND he's been able to battle against grown men while only being a kid? Who's side of the debate are you on again?
                      Lol, all I was saying is that much emphasis has been placed on that one Hoop Summitt game but I feel like Kaneter was in a better position to do well cause his game was probably more advanced. I'm not a big Sullinger fan btw, and I'm not syaing that Enes can't be a good player either I just take the HS all-star circuit games with a grain of salt. I try and follow these reults very closely every year and no doubt his performance was significant I just think his game and comfort level might have been much farther along at that point in time.

Bottom line, if he works out well and the knees are good and he has developed his game he's a top 3 pick in this draft, perhaps top 2, I just am a little leary of putting too much emphasis on a great showing at the Hoops Summit.

Comment

Great points. He was absolutely allowed to still practice with the team and workout with them as well. He was only restricted from playing in games, and traveling with the team. He kept his scholarship.
                        Not being able to play in the games is significant. Has his game developed? Has it regressed? How does he handle playing against some of the best competition in the world in an actual organized ball environment in N.A. (not an all-star game).

Comment

Are you kidding me? This is up there with one of the most ignorant things I've ever read.
                          There is so much wrong with this statement.

He did 'not go an play in Kentucky' because the NCAA ruled he received payment, and thus eliminating him from competition. He didn't go and play in the Euro-league, because he got to keep his scholarship to Kentucky, continue to train and Practice with the team, while also getting a Top Notch Education for a year. Can you blame him?

As for him being 'exposed', well thats a whole other issue. Because he exposed all those American born, college bound players pretty handely.
                          Being exposed is a possibility. Once again, NOT saying he won't be a good or even great pro, just saying that the inactivity is a concern whether he practiced or not.

Remember Felipe Lopez? Out of HS he was billed as the next Jordan and was on cover of S.I when deciding to going to attend St. Johns. Performed well there but not as well as the hype would have dictated. When he got to the pros he was average.

I am not saying Kanter is not going to pan out but HS-College-and NBA competition are increasing steps and it's good to see how a player performs or at least projects on all of these different levels. His inactivity at Kentucky hurts him in a sense as I don't think it's a given that he would have torn up Div 1 last year at Kentucky.

Comment

How was Evans able to get 12 rebounds a game? Reggie can barely dunk in a game. Most rebounds are retrieved at or below rim level. Sullinger is another good example, albeit at the college game. One of the greatest rebounders ever was Rodman - athletic and long but hardly a leaper - especially in CHI.

If Kanter's knees check out (again more rumour) then I would pick him at 3 - maybe even 2. I think Jonas has the higher ceiling but is also a greater risk - all my opinion.

Comment

sleepz wrote: View Post
                              I am not saying Kanter is not going to pan out but HS-College-and NBA competition are increasing steps and it's good to see how a player performs or at least projects on all of these different levels. His inactivity at Kentucky hurts him in a sense as I don't think it's a given that he would have torn up Div 1 last year at Kentucky.
                              No, guarded skepticism about a guy that no one has seen play in a year isn't warranted. You're just an uninformed hater.

Plus, you're forgetting about his large track record. Dude played 9 games, NINE GAMES, as a seldom used reserve for Fenerbahçe two years ago. Come on, everyone has seen those games. He also played high school ball 2 seasons ago. What more do you want?

In any case, I'm sure we can trust the draft experts without reservation. They never get it wrong. Look at how awesome Darko Milicic has been.

Comment

Is this why a guy like Zach Randolph can dominate offensively, despite being the opposite of what you suggest. The Raptors had a wiry, athletic big and couldn't get out of the first round with him. Who really cares what the new mold is. That only matters if you want to do what everyone else is doing. The good teams don't do that. They simply get talent and make the rest of the league adjust.

If Kanter can play, that's all that matters.
                                Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                                Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
                                X