Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chisholm: Three young players the Raptors should trade for ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I completely agree with Brooks. Never liked him and felt he was always overrated. Apparently Ariza wanted out of Houston because Brooks didn't pass the ball enough, and not just to him. Not exactly something you want from your PG. Players should WANT to play with a PG.

Mayo I'd have no problem with. He's a good young scorer who also plays defense.

Flynn has been remarkably unremarkable. I'd rather simply keep Calderon and Bayless, quite frankly.

I was VERY against drafting Bradley at 13 because I simply felt he wasn't worthy of being drafted that high, I would do a Weems for Bradley trade. I don't think Bradley is ever going to be a starter, but neither is Weems, so that works out fine. The Raptors could use a third PG, anyway.
    Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
    Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Within one year he took the bobcats from being a mediocre team to top 5 defensive team in the NBA and also a playoff team. Its not his fault that MJ is one of those owners who likes to meddle in his teams affairs and traded felton and chandler. No matter what anyone says you cannot deny that he is an upgrade on Jay Triano. As far as being hard on his guys, that is exactly what a young team needs.
      Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I'm not sure you are familiar with Larry Brown's last few coaching jobs. He told the Cats to draft Augustine instead of Lopez - eventhough they had Felton - when C was and still is a glaring need on the team. He typically goes in and sends all players who are already there packing. He is known to hate rookies and sit them. He is known to be extremely difficult on his point guards. His act grows old very quick as has been seen in his last few coaching jobs - which I think he purposely does to get fired so he can collect the cheques at home (see: DET, NYK, CHA). CHA has played much better since he left. There is no doubt he is a good coach but I do not think he is the man for the Raptors job.
      "Defense wins championships."

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
        Within one year he took the bobcats from being a mediocre team to top 5 defensive team in the NBA and also a playoff team. Its not his fault that MJ is one of those owners who likes to meddle in his teams affairs and traded felton and chandler. No matter what anyone says you cannot deny that he is an upgrade on Jay Triano. As far as being hard on his guys, that is exactly what a young team needs.
        Felton signed as a free agent and Chandler spent most of last year injured and is playing for his final contract.

I am not debating the merits of Brown as a head coach. I am also not comparing Triano to Brown. Brown is a great coach who has experienced success just about everywhere he has gone (NCAA and NBA).

Brown as a person and developer of young talent is what I am questioning. He is manipulative and selfish and has proven it time and again in recent years with his exits in DET, NY, and CHA.

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
          I completely agree with Brooks. Never liked him and felt he was always overrated. Apparently Ariza wanted out of Houston because Brooks didn't pass the ball enough, and not just to him. Not exactly something you want from your PG. Players should WANT to play with a PG.

Mayo I'd have no problem with. He's a good young scorer who also plays defense.

Flynn has been remarkably unremarkable. I'd rather simply keep Calderon and Bayless, quite frankly.

I was VERY against drafting Bradley at 13 because I simply felt he wasn't worthy of being drafted that high, I would do a Weems for Bradley trade. I don't think Bradley is ever going to be a starter, but neither is Weems, so that works out fine. The Raptors could use a third PG, anyway.
          You mentioned that Flynn has been unremarkable - which is why I said he needs a change of scenery and with the high number of sky fliers or athletes on our team - that might just be the right fix for Flynn. Jose is getting old like Mike Bibby(which is why the Atlanta Hawks have been losing embarassingly at home despite their good record - see 41 point loss to New Orleans Hornets and 30+ points loss to Philadelphia both games at home without All-star Al Horford) and his defense coupled with the facts he could get us a late first round pick and we are rebuilding team which means it is a luxury to have guys like Jose, Reggie Evans and Barbosa on our team and they should be traded for draft picks in my opinion.

The Avery Bradley guy is a project as I reteirate once again(I have watched some Celtics games, trust me Bradley is far from NBA ready, I would not imagine him running the game with Jose or Bayless injured. ugh.) If we want a 3rd PG, we can resign Trey Johnson for the rest of the season(he plays decent defense and is not a ball hog) or get Bobby Brown next season(or in 2 years, if there is a full lockout).
          Last edited by smushmush; Sun Feb 13, 2011, 04:48 PM.

Comment

i too, would love for the raps to draft terrence jones. i wasn't huge on him at all at the beginning of the season but he's developed into my #1 SF. if he's available and they don't draft him im going to be wildly disappointed.
            @sweatpantsjer

Comment

I like the Mayo and Thabeet deal. We get younger, get a good young scorer and get a guy in Thabeet who could still end up being a decent center. He's only 23 and doesn't have a history of injuries so I wouldn't mind having him around. We'd then have three centres to develop and then pick from in Alabi, Ajinca, and Thabeet. Surely one of them will end up being good .

As far a coaches go, I'd want Jeff Van Gundy if he'd do it. Jay is good but I think we need someone with a bit more push.
              "Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival."

-Churchill

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post
                I like the Mayo and Thabeet deal. We get younger, get a good young scorer and get a guy in Thabeet who could still end up being a decent center. He's only 23 and doesn't have a history of injuries so I wouldn't mind having him around. We'd then have three centres to develop and then pick from in Alabi, Ajinca, and Thabeet. Surely one of them will end up being good .

As far a coaches go, I'd want Jeff Van Gundy if he'd do it. Jay is good but I think we need someone with a bit more push.
                ceez wrote: View Post
                i too, would love for the raps to draft terrence jones. i wasn't huge on him at all at the beginning of the season but he's developed into my #1 SF. if he's available and they don't draft him im going to be wildly disappointed.
                +1 on the both quotes but if Jeff Van Gundy is enjoying the announcer job too much with TNT(he seems to and he is even getting primetime on nationally televised Sunday basketball on ABC), we can go for Mike Woodson or Nate Mcmillan imo as alternatives. In this draft, the order Raps should pick is Irving, Terrence Jones and others(not following that order will really seal our fate as a franchise once and for all, and I will stop watching this team(as I said, Perry Jones really scares me as an athletic freak, there are a lot of athletic freaks that never turned basketball players littered in NBA history).

Also, I like that point of going for both OJ Mayo and Thabeet in a trade(as long as Thabeet can be an enforcing 7 footer on our team and can rebound, box out, set solid screens and block shots, I will be ok with that. If he is even raw offensively, I can take that(his offense will just be a plus to me once he does the things expected of a center) or we can set him to work with the offensively changing big man wizard in Alex English lol).

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
                  You mentioned that Flynn has been unremarkable - which is why I said he needs a change of scenery and with the high number of sky fliers or athletes on our team - that might just be the right fix for Flynn. Jose is getting old like Mike Bibby(which is why the Atlanta Hawks have been losing embarassingly at home despite their good record - see 41 point loss to New Orleans Hornets and 30+ points loss to Philadelphia both games at home without All-star Al Horford) and his defense coupled with the facts he could get us a late first round pick and we are rebuilding team which means it is a luxury to have guys like Jose, Reggie Evans and Barbosa on our team and they should be traded for draft picks in my opinion.

The Avery Bradley guy is a project as I reteirate once again(I have watched some Celtics games, trust me Bradley is far from NBA ready, I would not imagine him running the game with Jose or Bayless injured. ugh.) If we want a 3rd PG, we can resign Trey Johnson for the rest of the season(he plays decent defense and is not a ball hog) or get Bobby Brown next season(or in 2 years, if there is a full lockout).
                  There are lots of players that have been unremarkable. It does mean they would do better with a change of scenery. I was never very high on him to begin with and thought he was drafted way too high. I've just not seen anything from him to lead me to believe he'll be anything but a mediocre PG.

And while I have always liked Calderon, I'm certainly not averse to trading him for the betterment of the team in the long term. I just don't think trading him for Flynn does that.

As for Bradley, you may not remember how vehemently I was against drafting him (I'm sure others will back me up here) and have no illusions about him, but my point is that it's doubtful that Weems even is part of the Raptors future, so if they can get something for him now, then it's a good deal. With Bradley, you basically be buying low. If he doesn't work out, who cares.
                  Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
                  Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Felton signed as a free agent and Chandler spent most of last year injured and is playing for his final contract.

I am not debating the merits of Brown as a head coach. I am also not comparing Triano to Brown. Brown is a great coach who has experienced success just about everywhere he has gone (NCAA and NBA).

Brown as a person and developer of young talent is what I am questioning. He is manipulative and selfish and has proven it time and again in recent years with his exits in DET, NY, and CHA.
                    As for Brown being manipulative and selfish, I dont know much about him behind the scenes, his record kinda speaks for itself though, regardless any coach with a defense first mindset would be preferred to the current status quo, even PJ.
                    I would just like to see the raptors get a coach for once who had some NBA experience before he became head coach of the raptors. The only coach we have ever hired who had any experience prior to his stint with TO was Lenny Wilkins. At this point I would just like to see a coach hold the team accountable, I wanna see players benched for missing defensive assignments, I dont want a coach who will babysit players. Players, especially young players should be scared of their coach lol, one thing you had to give Sam Mitchell the team played hard for him, and our points per game average with him was under a hundred a game, something we have not been able to accomplish since then. Players were scared of Mitchell glaring at them from the sidelines and he was able to get the most out of the guys. I know this thread is about potential trades so I wanna finish off by saying that I support any trade that means we ship out defensive liabilities for youth, flexibility, and better defensive players.

Comment

SuperRaptor wrote: View Post
                      I would just like to see the raptors get a coach for once who had some NBA experience before he became head coach of the raptors.
                      On that I 100% agree.

Comment

Not feeling DD at the three. I think he'd be undersized - and that is even after bulking up a little. As long as Bargnani is around they need a beast at the SF - much like Gerald Wallace or my new favourite college player Terrence Jones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEgmxg8OF90

Check out the block and transition dunk at 1:11 and the very final highlight versus Notre Dame.

He is left handed - him at the 3 and Davis at the 4 would certainly create a few highlight blocks.
                        As for DD too small for the 3 we currently play Sonny Weems at the 3, Sonny is 6'6 and Demar is 6'7, also a teams shooting guard should atleast have 3 point range which demar as of right now doesnt, so seeing Mayo move over there would be an improvement at the 2, and I believe that Demar would be an improvement over Sonny at the 3.

Comment

I wouldn't mind getting Flynn or Mayo. Bradley may not be worth it. Flynn is young and the Raptors were going after him during the 09 draft. Mayo has some issues but i think he may be able to get back to his rookie form. I don't think bradley is worth wright or weems.

Comment

hateslosing wrote: View Post

ceez wrote: View Post
                            Tim W. wrote: View Post
                            There are lots of players that have been unremarkable. It does mean they would do better with a change of scenery. I was never very high on him to begin with and thought he was drafted way too high. I've just not seen anything from him to lead me to believe he'll be anything but a mediocre PG.

And while I have always liked Calderon, I'm certainly not averse to trading him for the betterment of the team in the long term. I just don't think trading him for Flynn does that.

As for Bradley, you may not remember how vehemently I was against drafting him (I'm sure others will back me up here) and have no illusions about him, but my point is that it's doubtful that Weems even is part of the Raptors future, so if they can get something for him now, then it's a good deal. With Bradley, you basically be buying low. If he doesn't work out, who cares.
                            What you should remember is that a PG is not really needed in a Triangle system that Kurt Rambis employs which is why I would still stick to my guns that Flynn really needs a change of scenery(coupled with the fact that Ricky Rubio coming to the Timberwolves anytime is really breathing on Flynn's neck as he feels unwanted lol). In addition, I would take a mediocre PG averaging 7 assists per game a la Jrue Holiday of the Philadelphia Sixers that plays solid defense than an over the hill, aging PG that is a luxury for a rebuilding team(even Andre Miller is an average ( or mediocre in your terms) PG and he is a starter on the Portland Trailblazers, his typical night is 7 assists and knowing his shooting spots on the floor in the 4th quarter and willing his team on in the clutch plus Andre Miller plays smart defense - I would take such "mediocre" PG over a PG that averages 10 assists a game and some shots while he gives everything back on defense a la Jose Calderon lol). Consequently, you don't need an elite PG to win a championship(see Deron Williams and Chris Paul(top 2 PGs without championships lmao) and fyi, the last team that was built around a PG that won was the 2004 Detroit Pistons with Chauncey Billups, 7 long seasons ago lol).

The question I also want to pose to you is that when last have we had an even mediocre PG with solid defense since the Damon Stoudemire days instead of the ball hogs or stat stuffers with terrible defense we have? Food for thought guys, food for thought.

"Nuff said.
                            Last edited by smushmush; Sun Feb 13, 2011, 07:01 PM.

Comment

smushmush wrote: View Post
                              the last team that was built around a PG that won was the 2004 Detroit Pistons with Chauncey Billups, 7 long seasons ago lol).
                              Actually the year they won the championship he averaged 5.7 or 5.9 assists. I agree with your point though.

I'm not even too sure if the Pistons were built around Billups. They just had a solid team. Ideally I would love to see the Raps comprise a team along those lines - no superstar.

Comment

yea it didnt work out in NYK or CHA, but how does that prove LB is selfish or manipulative ?

btw, who was in charge in NYK ? Isiah
                                who was in charge in CHA ? MJ

you can say LB is a bad coach all you want but dont talk shit about him and say he is selfish when you personally have no clue what the man is about.

you think LB is manipulative ? atleast he doesnt go around talking shit about bosh (behind his back), turk (behind his back), making up a young gunz marketing scheme, calling every scrub on the team an "asset" and making up his own language by creating words like "re-tooling"

Comment

Working...
                                X