Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has Bargnani Played Himself Into All-Star Consideration?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has Bargnani Played Himself Into All-Star Consideration?

Most of you might of seen this question as a poll on the main Raptors Republic page, but I'm more curious to hear members opinions. Over 500+ votes so far and about 77% of you think Andrea's played his way into all-star consideration, but for those who don't think he has I'd be curious to know why you don't think he at that all-star status just yet?

Bargnani won't get much All-Star consideration this season but he will next year because he scores a lot of points.

At this point in time, he doesn't deserve any All-Star consideration. He's not good enough.
    nbaroundtable

Comment

What Dave said...plus, no way does he rank as an all star amongst centres in the east. Yet.

Comment

Dave wrote: View Post
        At this point in time, he doesn't deserve any All-Star consideration. He's not good enough.
        Exactly. I don't know why so many people believe he's all-star status. That being said, there have been some players that became allstars despite not actually being allstars (I'm looking at you Mo Williams).

Comment

The problem with Bargnani is that although he plays the centre position, he doesn't play like a true centre, I mean I almost spilled my drink against the Cavs when Bargnani posted up Lebron james with his back away from the basket. If he can at least stretch his game farther and start posting up players on a consistent basis then I think there is a room for him in next years All star game.

Comment

Sure Consideration. And he deserves consideration.
            All-Star game is a offensive display of the NBA's talent. A wide open game designed to produce exciting plays and Bargs would fit in beautifully.

But it's unlikely any center but DW plays for the East this year.

Which forwards are going to be left off the 12 man roster so Bargs can play? Josh Smith, Gerald Wallace, Paul Pierce, Chris Bosh, Rashard Lewis, Danny Granger, Antawn Jamieson.......

And then there is the David Lee question - highest scoring center at 19 & 11 on the season.

Coaches make the decision - good players will be over-looked!
            The best Raptors discussion board is at Raptors Republic.

Stephen Brotherston, Pro Bball Report

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
              The problem with Bargnani is that although he plays the centre position, he doesn't play like a true centre, I mean I almost spilled my drink against the Cavs when Bargnani posted up Lebron james with his back away from the basket. If he can at least stretch his game farther and start posting up players on a consistent basis then I think there is a room for him in next years All star game.
              Apparently you forgot the home opener?

Cavs put LeBron on Bargs to start the game but after a couple of post-ups they changed. Bargs has been abusing SF a lot this year - its one of the reasons for his better play.

Comment

brothersteve wrote: View Post
                Apparently you forgot the home opener?

Cavs put LeBron on Bargs to start the game but after a couple of post-ups they changed. Bargs has been abusing SF a lot this year - its one of the reasons for his better play.
                I must have forgot! because he didn't do this for a long time......

Comment

Hotshot wrote: View Post
                  I must have forgot! because he didn't do this for a long time......
                  Not often some coach has a 250 lb SF to try it with. But they used to - it just doesn't work anymore.

Comment

I echo the "no, not right now" sentiment. All-star selections should be those who have a consistent and significant effect on the outcome of his team's performance. Does Bargs meet this criteria? I believe he is getting there and that, he had been bred to play within a team concept he often defers to (and sometimes abetted by his pgs) the current team topdog Chris Bosh...who is also a "big" with somewhat similar skills.

Comment

Hotshot, I have a lol each time I notice your avatar...mostly because of the Festivus and Manzziere episodes.

Comment

The reason I voted no was based on perception. Do people AROUND the league (not just Toronto) believe he is an All-star? He probably doesn't even register on their radars. I mean, commentators from other cities are still discovering that there's this Italian guy on this Raptors and hey he's pretty good. Because of the way the all-star game is based on who the public believes is an all-star, then by that definition, Bargs is not one.

In terms of play alone... Bargs is pushing the ceiling for all-star consideration for sure, but I think he isn't quite there yet. He needs to get on the glass a little more (even though he has made enormous strides in this direction) - preferably the offensive boards, which he can do by posting up more often or driving and getting his own misses. Sad to say, when he does get deep post position, nine times out of ten whoever is holding the ball will NOT give it to him EURGH! His defense is quite passable at this point for someone who pulls most of his weight on the offensive side. If his jumper becomes more like Dirk's (in percentage mades) then he will have arrived to stay. He's almost there, just not yet.

Comment

Working...
                        X