We really need Greg Monroe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We really need Greg Monroe.

Like pretty bad. Amir looks terrible on the court, I am very comfortable trading him. I love him with all my heart but he looks tired and slow and it's never going to help us win when he goes up against Blake Griffin or Paul Millsap or whoever. Monroe's strong and young and he's not really working out in Detroit.

TOR: Monroe, Siva, Stuckey.
    DET: Johnson, Novak, Vasquez.

I think salaries match up okay. I think we might have to throw in some kind of second rounder though.

Thoughts? Tell me your ideal trades to get Monroe.

Kiss any semblance of defence goodbye.

Comment

Jordan Evans wrote: View Post
      Like pretty bad. Amir looks terrible on the court, I am very comfortable trading him. I love him with all my heart but he looks tired and slow and it's never going to help us win when he goes up against Blake Griffin or Paul Millsap or whoever. Monroe's strong and young and he's not really working out in Detroit.

TOR: Monroe, Siva, Stuckey.
      DET: Johnson, Novak, Vasquez.

I think salaries match up okay. I think we might have to throw in some kind of second rounder though.

Thoughts? Tell me your ideal trades to get Monroe.
      If we wanted Monroe we'd have to send Detroit a 1st round pick, likely this years but maybe we can convince them to take a future one. Something like Hansbrough and a 1st for Monroe might get it done. Maybe Vasquez and a 1st. If we make it our 2014 pick I think Detroit takes it. The question is, is Monroe worth our 2014 1st when we'll have to resign him to a big deal in the offseason ($12M per year ish)? We also need to resign Lowry, so there goes our future cap space. Our projected pick right now is #19 and that could get us someone like Nik Stauskas, on a cheap rookie deal for the next 4 years. Then we could make plays for guys like Durant (pipedream perhaps, but I'd like to be able to go for it).

Detroit wouldn't want to take on Amir's salary when they're already paying Josh Smith a boatload and they play the same position (Smith at SF doesn't work, hence why Monroe is on the table). They also wouldn't want Novaks long term deal when they're not quite ready to contend.

I'm not totally against going for Monroe, but I think it would cost too much to be worth it. Maybe Ujiri will work some magic and surprise us.

Comment

What other PF's are available out there? I really really really don't want to trade Amir. He's like the heart and soul of the team and really embraces the city, but he can't stay our starting PF. The guy is like 40...he can't handle those minutes.

Comment

Blasphemy!

Comment

The biggest reason Monroe is rumoured to be available is that Smith is playing out of position as a SF rather than PF. Can't see Monroe traded without them receiving a comparable SF in return.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

KHD wrote: View Post
              Kiss any semblance of defence goodbye.
              I think if you plugged Monroe into Casey's system his defense would improve considerably. I also think his defensive shortcomings are a bit overstated. He has all the tools, he just hasn't put it all together.

Detroit is still +5.9 points with Monroe on the court as opposed to the bench, so he clearly is a huge positive, regardless of his defense.
              For comparison, Amir is only +2.2. Also, Monroe's Opponent production is only 1.2 points worse than Amir's. So if we think Amir has good D, then Monroe's should be adequate.

Comment

If we can keep DeMar, Ross, Patterson and Valanciunas, I'm all for it.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
                  The biggest reason Monroe is rumoured to be available is that Smith is playing out of position as a SF rather than PF. Can't see Monroe traded without them receiving a comparable SF in return.
                  If Detroit is dead set on playoffs this year then you are right, they'd need a capable SF in return. There are rumors Deng may be dealt out of Cleveland with the firing of the old GM. Deng for Monroe and Villanueva works money wise, and makes sense for Detroit. Cleveland might want to find a third team to move Monroe to. Perhaps a Monroe for Evan Turner swap makes sense.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
                    If we can keep DeMar, Ross, Patterson and Valanciunas, I'm all for it.
                    Oh and don't forget Dwight Buycks and Julyan Stone ...

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
                      I think if you plugged Monroe into Casey's system his defense would improve considerably. I also think his defensive shortcomings are a bit overstated. He has all the tools, he just hasn't put it all together.

Detroit is still +5.9 points with Monroe on the court as opposed to the bench, so he clearly is a huge positive, regardless of his defense.
                      For comparison, Amir is only +2.2. Also, Monroe's Opponent production is only 1.2 points worse than Amir's. So if we think Amir has good D, then Monroe's should be adequate.
                      Those numbers mean shit. For starters. +/- is only useful, if that, within team comparisons. Completely useless when comparing players on different teams. So your base for saying Monroe is adequate is a poor starting point, at best. Amir's value on defense is his quickness, especially as a help defender. Monroe is slow/plodding, and as bad as Bargs as a help defender. Be enamoured, if you will, with his offensive game, but he would clog up the low post for JV's development, and be the worst possible match with JV on defense.

Comment

mike, prague wrote: View Post
                        Oh and don't forget Dwight Buycks and Julyan Stone ...
                        ?

Comment

Pistons need wing players. So they probably would ask for one of DeRozan or Ross. No way i trade DeRozan or Ross for Monroe.
                          Mamba Mentality

Comment

I think Kaman would be a good pick up at this point. He's cheap and expiring and isn't playing much in LA. It'd be easy to match salaries and we'd actually get a center with some length. Give JV some support and better competition in practice (size wise)
                            Sunny ways my friends, sunny ways
                            Because its 2015

Comment

salmon wrote: View Post
                              Those numbers mean shit. For starters. +/- is only useful, if that, within team comparisons. Completely useless when comparing players on different teams. So your base for saying Monroe is adequate is a poor starting point, at best. Amir's value on defense is his quickness, especially as a help defender. Monroe is slow/plodding, and as bad as Bargs as a help defender. Be enamoured, if you will, with his offensive game, but he would clog up the low post for JV's development, and be the worst possible match with JV on defense.
                              Don't be so dramatic, the numbers clearly don't mean shit. If, according to you, +/- is only useful when comparing players on the same team, let's compare Monroe to Drummond and Smith.

On/Off +/-
                              Monroe +5.9
                              Drummond -6.5
                              Smith +5.9

Monroe is right there with Smith, as they are clearly the best players on Detroit. Drummond is actually pretty freaking awful in the +/-, so either he must not be as good defensively as his block and rebound totals would make you think, or his lack of offense other than dunks and terrible FT% are too much to overcome.

And since you brought up Bargs, he is a -3.6.
                              Last edited by Primer; Sat Feb 8, 2014, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X