Don't burn me at the stake!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Don't burn me at the stake!

I don't understand where all of this hate for Sonny Weems is coming from. We haven't seen him play in over a month and, though it is not the only factor, our defensive stats and winning percentage have gone down considerably since then. I know it's not just because Weems got hurt, there are a lot of factors, but he isn't the bad player people are making him out to be on here. About the same time he got hurt the regulars on RR were trashing Amir Johnson about fouls and productivity and were ready to give him and Sonny up for nothing. Now Amir is doing great and you rarely hear a bad thing about him.

My point is that I believe Sonny was in the same funk that Amir was in at the beginning of the season. Trying to feel out their role and figure out what they needed to do. It made us unhappy but with time Amir has figured it out and I have no doubt that Sonny would have done the same thing. Personaly I can't wait for him to get back so we can get some more firepower on this team.

Plus just because I know this is already making people mad I want to say one other thing. Last year Sonny came off the bench and was a good defender for us. He can still play defense. He's not an old man who lost his legs. His returning will be good for this team.

I canonly speak for myself, albertan, but I don't see the same things you did regarding Sonny.

Sonny played well off the bench at the start of the year. When Kleiza initially got hurt, Sonny stepped in and played great basketball. He hit that game winning 3 point shot versus ORL. He played smart and within his limits.

Somewhere along the way he decided to stop attacking the rim and only take jumpers - most of which were ill-advised, to be kind. His defense was not good. He and DD showed they were redundant with each other in the starting lineup.

I'd like to see a player backing up the wings with different skills - a 3 and D guy would be great to have. Someone to space the floor with the jumper and lock down the other team's top player.

I don't hate the guy - I just lost a lot of respect when he stiopped playing once he got the starting gig - in a contract year at that.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      I canonly speak for myself, albertan, but I don't see the same things you did regarding Sonny.

Sonny played well off the bench at the start of the year. When Kleiza initially got hurt, Sonny stepped in and played great basketball. He hit that game winning 3 point shot versus ORL. He played smart and within his limits.

Somewhere along the way he decided to stop attacking the rim and only take jumpers - most of which were ill-advised, to be kind. His defense was not good. He and DD showed they were redundant with each other in the starting lineup.

I'd like to see a player backing up the wings with different skills - a 3 and D guy would be great to have. Someone to space the floor with the jumper and lock down the other team's top player.

I don't hate the guy - I just lost a lot of respect when he stiopped playing once he got the starting gig - in a contract year at that.
      I wouldn't argue that he should get his starting role back tonight or tomorrow or even a month from now. He needs to earn his minutes by playing smart basketball.

My rant is more focussed on all the hate he has received that I feel is undeserved. Sure he wasn't playing great but I don't think people should take heavy swings at the guy who hasn't played in over a month.

Comment

I think sonnny can still be really good for us moving forward but I dont see it with him starting. Sonny played good D last year and stayed within his limits. This year he was a little lost and did too much. He put together a string of really good games a while back and looked promising(still had to many poor TO's). The only problem i have with sonny (this is not his fault) is that when he and DD play together only one of them shows up and its usually not Demar. DD slacks off and isnt as agressivee as he needs to be when he is played sonny on the floor. Ill give sonny a chance still because it was still early and maybe in the second half of the season it will come together(jose is playing much better too and that could help). Ideallyi see sonny comming off the bench as a backup 3 or 2 which is still very good and something he should really try and accept and he should be alright. with the teams record slipping with each game i see no harm with sonny and seeing what he can bring to the team this year, its been unfortunate about his back and i agree with you that he probably would have found his groove after sometime but i think Demar would still be struggling.

Im surprised kleiza isnt taking more heat lately, the guy has been sucking it up for awhile now and IMO its not working out... sorry kleiza, he shoulda stayed in the euro league... would you rather be a star in europe or a role player in NBA?

Comment

Until Sonny got hurt he was still playing decent and had some awsome highlight reel dunks too. He is very athletic and some people were even saying he should have been in the dunk comp.

Comment

Hate...

U ask why the hate...
            Fans don't like players who are soft and make good money and don't play bc they have sore back...honestly I think there is more to this then meets the eye...
            Something is going on behind the scenes...but no one is talking.
            Well at least his not like Jay Cutler...
            "Never apologize for coming to me. Office hours are for patients.
            My kitchen is always open to friends"

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
              I wouldn't argue that he should get his starting role back tonight or tomorrow or even a month from now. He needs to earn his minutes by playing smart basketball.

My rant is more focussed on all the hate he has received that I feel is undeserved. Sure he wasn't playing great but I don't think people should take heavy swings at the guy who hasn't played in over a month.
              Hate is a bit strong, and I can only speak for myself, but my disdain started before his injury. It wasn't that he wasn't playing great. For me it was he was playing stupid - forcing jumpers, numerous turnovers, stop taking the ball to the rim, and his defense was awful (but on this team, well, enough said).

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                Hate is a bit strong, and I can only speak for myself, but my disdain started before his injury. It wasn't that he wasn't playing great. For me it was he was playing stupid - forcing jumpers, numerous turnovers, stop taking the ball to the rim, and his defense was awful (but on this team, well, enough said).
                Can I just copy what Matt said?

Comment

albertan_10 wrote: View Post
                  I don't understand where all of this hate for Sonny Weems is coming from. We haven't seen him play in over a month and, though it is not the only factor, our defensive stats and winning percentage have gone down considerably since then. I know it's not just because Weems got hurt, there are a lot of factors, but he isn't the bad player people are making him out to be on here. About the same time he got hurt the regulars on RR were trashing Amir Johnson about fouls and productivity and were ready to give him and Sonny up for nothing. Now Amir is doing great and you rarely hear a bad thing about him.

My point is that I believe Sonny was in the same funk that Amir was in at the beginning of the season. Trying to feel out their role and figure out what they needed to do. It made us unhappy but with time Amir has figured it out and I have no doubt that Sonny would have done the same thing. Personaly I can't wait for him to get back so we can get some more firepower on this team.

Plus just because I know this is already making people mad I want to say one other thing. Last year Sonny came off the bench and was a good defender for us. He can still play defense. He's not an old man who lost his legs. His returning will be good for this team.
                  Who the hell thinks Amir has "figured it out"?? Dude is still a foul factory, and offers very little offensively or defensively. Just like Weems. Looks like there is only one Young GUN now, and it's Demar.

Comment

Here is my take on Sonny and his future with Toronto.

Weems is an undersized small forward who does not bring one great talent to the floor to make up for it. He is not a great defender, not a great shooter, not a great ball handler, not a great shot creator, not a great rebounder, he is a 10th man at best on a balanced team.

Lets look at our 3 small forwards on the team, Linas, Weems, and Wright.

Although Linas has struggled, he brings better rebounding and a post up game to the table, he is a better 3 point shooter than he has shown, not a great one, but a threat none the less. Listed as 6'8", no measurement history.

Wright brings defense and great passing ability in the half court, he is a glue guy and does not need touches to be effective. His draft measurements were 6.6.5" with a 7'2.25" wing span...nice size.

Weems runs the break well and has a decent mid range jumper and gets along with DeMar. Draft measurements were 6'4" and a 6'10 wing span....not great size for a 3.

With Linas signed long term we have him barring a trade, who do you want between the the two of Wright and Weems, I take Wright for his size and upside vs. Weems upside.
                    Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

Working...
                    X