No announcement yet.

Everything Derozan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Being depressed is just an excuse for not being mentally strong enough to handle life, IMO. That being said Im sure Demar has a bunch of resources at his disposal(sports psychologists etc.) that can help him build his self-confidence/resolve w.e. issues are going on up there.

You're overthinking this though, stop thinking about Demar so much, Im pretty sure he doesn't care what you think.

p.s. Im in the hammer too! for school. isn't the weed here excellent!

Comment

• Are you talking about possible clinical depression? Something he might need medication for? Or are you just saying he's unfocused and disinterested in playing professional basketball...?

Comment

• Of course, maybe Demar isn't struggling or regressing. Maybe the second half of last year was an anomaly. Maybe what we're seeing now (and what we saw for the first year and a half) is the real Derozan. In any case, after this many games I think it's pretty clear this isn't a shooting slump. It's much more than that.

Comment

• akashsingh wrote: View Post
          Being depressed is just an excuse for not being mentally strong enough to handle life, IMO.
          Now, that's just nonsense. Actual, "clinical" depression is a medical condition, and it often requires serious treatment. It's no joke, as anyone who has dealt with it firsthand or through a family member or friend will tell you.

But I don't think that's what the OP was talking about wrt "depressed Demar".
          Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

• No

He's rich, famous, has tonnes of adoring fans and does what he loves for a living. I'm no psychologist but I would say negatory on the depression theory. I think he's struggling to find his way but I would think his main emotion would be frustration, not depression.

Comment

• Apollo wrote: View Post
              He's rich, famous, has tonnes of adoring fans and does what he loves for a living. I'm no psychologist but I would say negatory on the depression theory. I think he's struggling to find his way but I would think his main emotion would be frustration, not depression.
              Money, fame, and fans don't necessarily mean that one could not be suffering with depression. Mental illness crosses cultural boundaries more freely then that. We can even just look to someone like Heath Ledger, Kurt Cobain, or even more recent hockey players who took their lives such as Rick Rypien, Derek Boogaard and Wade Belak.

I certainly would not jump to the conclusion that DeMar is suffering from depression (as other then a lack of progress we can't definitively see other signs), but I also don't agree with writing it off simply due to his status as a basketball player.
              http://twitter.com/m_shantz

Comment

• Give this kid a team to play with and he will improve. With all that Chisolm said, you could still make an argument that Demar is top 3 on the team. He is not experienced enough to handle the ball the amount he does!
                We should all just exercise a little patience (fan storyline for the season?) and take a wait and see approach into next season. Let him learn this year what it takes to be a primary focus of opposition D and next year he will come in better equipped, stronger (his strength and weight has alot to do with his struggles), plus he will have a better cast around him.
                We all know he is the hardest working Raptor --so let him work through it the rest of the year. What does this team have to lose??

Comment

• he thinks hes better than he really is...& doesnt work as hard as he should during games. on Facebook hes campaining for all-star votes yet he plays like a D-leaguer.. he needs to realize that when his play is all-star like.. hell get votes but till then he just looks that kid whos desperate to fit in with the cool crowd LOL

Comment

• I will also add that we are still in "knee-jerk" territory here as far as his development goes, as half of the comments on this thread show. The Raptors (and BC) can't afford a knee jerk gone bad (ie trading Demar and he gets even a little better). Patience, Raps fans, deep breaths now

Comment

• This is RIDICULOUS. Look what you started LBF.

He was playing great at the beginning of the season and Sonny wasn't around then.
                      One should not use the term 'Depressed' lightly. Demar has shown no indication of being "depressed". I think the notion of it is absurd. He's down on himself because he's not performing the way he knows he can. That's all

Comment

• Awful long slump for a third year player who's as talented as DeMar. Concerning.
                        @sweatpantsjer

Comment

• ceez wrote: View Post
                          Awful long slump for a third year player who's as talented as DeMar. Concerning.
                          In his last seven games, he's had a 27 point outing on 8-12 shooting and getting to the line 16 times.
                          Two games before that he had 17 points on 6-11 with 8 rebounds.
                          Two games before that he had 15 points and 8 rebounds while getting to the line 8 times.

He's battling with consistency and having the Full Force of an NBA teams defense Solely focuses on him.
                          Not Depression or anything else. He's a 22 year old kid Learning the NBA and learning how to the #1 scorer. Theres going to be a learning curve and consistency issues.
                          Look at Bargs for fucks sake. Apparently he's doing fine now.
                          Last edited by Joey; Fri Feb 3, 2012, 06:43 PM.

Comment

• LBF you just released the trolls... I'm with Joey it's just inconsistency and still learning the new D case system

Comment

• The biggest difference between this year and last year with Demar is the change in coach. Demar actually excelled in Triano's system. The fast pace offense worked because he's quick, young, athletic and didn't have to work as hard for his 2 points. However in a deliberately slow paced offense it is much harder.

He was never good in those other intangibles like passing, rebounding or defense primarily because of his IQ. That should change when he matures as he's athletically gifted and a lot of that should come naturally to him as his instincts become sharper.

The biggest issue I have is his ball handling skills as has been pointed out numerous times in other threads. I don't think this will ever improve to a satisfactory level, IMO. I think Demar needs to change his game and model it after someone like Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton or Reggie Miller.

Being so athletic and quick, Demar should easily be able to lose his man, curl off screens and hit a quick jumper. Allen started his career as a slasher, and adapted to becoming the jump shooter that he is now. Demar seems to like to shoot the ball, and because he's a gym rat, perhaps that's what he needs to continue to do. If Demar turned into an Allen-lite, I'd have no problems with that. But he's not going to be our 'Kobe', that's for sure.
                              Last edited by planetmars; Fri Feb 3, 2012, 06:59 PM.

Comment

• Patience is key in this painful season...

Comment

Working...
                                X