According to MSNBC the Raptors Are "Very Interested" in Barbosa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DonCarlos wrote: View Post
    Not stellar, but quick and with quick hands and probably would be the best defender among the Raptors guards right now, excepting maybe Banks.

I'd do a Calderon + Banks or Evans trade for Barbosa yesterday. Calderon's a better shooter and passer, but Barbosa is a better slasher, defender and rebounder and has less years on his contract.

Though if Phoenix is serious about shedding salary, they won't want Calderon's salary in return, especially since they already have Nash and Dragic. Also, no way they take on Turk.

Barbosa + filler for Evans and Banks??? Depends on the level of desperation, I guess, but the Suns could surely get a better deal than that.
    ya the want a back up centre so maybe we would have to give up alabi and banks plus pick for barbosa an thats a little to much
    ya dun noe

Comment

Hassan wrote: View Post
      how's his defence?
      Exactly - The Suns are evolving into a defense orientated team. Hence the parting of the ways with Amar'e and now wanting to dump Captain Barboosa okay the hoops guy spells it Barbosa but close enough for Hollywood revisionism

Last edited by Buddahfan; Sun Jul 4, 2010, 02:35 PM.
      Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
      Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

why dont we consider playing weems at the point and hedo at the 3 so weems would not have to handle the ball that much and can just play defense/ shoot j's
        ya dun noe

Comment

DonCarlos wrote: View Post
          Barbosa CAN play backup PG, especially with someone like Turk on the floor. What I'm saying is that if we can somehow turn Calderon into Barbosa, it should be done, if only for the durations of the contracts involved. While Calderon > Barbosa, paying Barbosa for 2 years > paying Calderon for 4.
          I have three questions.

1. Does trading for Barbosa give the Raptors the starting PG that everyone wants?

2. Does trading for Barbosa help the Raptors long term?

3. Is trading for Barbosa a good step towards making the Raptors a contender in the short term?

No, no and no. In other words, there's no real point.

Barbosa is another bandaid that would help make the Raptors compete a little more, but wouldn't give the Raptors anything they actually NEED. He's a guy that would look good to season ticketholders who simply want entertaining and fairly competitive games. I'm not interested in the Raptors striving for mediocrity. Maybe you guys are.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

If hedon't is shouldering all of the point duties than maybe that wouldn't be such a bad idea of having Weems at the 1 DeRozan at the 2 and Jerkolou at the 3.
            We all make mistakes... Tanking is not the answer.. This squad can ball! Let it roll!!

Comment

Tim W. wrote: View Post
              Barbosa is another bandaid that would help make the Raptors compete a little more, but wouldn't give the Raptors anything they actually NEED. He's a guy that would look good to season ticketholders who simply want entertaining and fairly competitive games.
              Great point! I am a Barbosa fan and he probably could help the Raptors a little bit in the interim but in the grand scheme it would just be a lateral move.

Comment

I have three questions.

1. Does trading for Barbosa give the Raptors the starting PG that everyone wants?

2. Does trading for Barbosa help the Raptors long term?

3. Is trading for Barbosa a good step towards making the Raptors a contender in the short term?

No, no and no. In other words, there's no real point.

Barbosa is another bandaid that would help make the Raptors compete a little more, but wouldn't give the Raptors anything they actually NEED. He's a guy that would look good to season ticketholders who simply want entertaining and fairly competitive games. I'm not interested in the Raptors striving for mediocrity. Maybe you guys are.
                +1
                Avatar: Riverboat Coffee House 134 Yorkville Ave. billboard of upcoming entertainers - Circa 1960s

Memories some so sweet, indeed

Larger Photo of the avatar

“As a captain, I played furiously. I drew a lot of fouls, but I brought everything I had to every practice and to every game. I left everything on the court because I simply wanted the team to win”
                Quote from well known personality who led their high school team to a state championship.

Comment

yeah i definately dont want barbosa.. enough with the combo guard garbage barbosa looks great in transition and has a pretty good shot but hes a ball hog who prefers to run the court himself. As well shouldnt BC be looking to dump our overpaid overrated players for cap relief I dont want to hear any rumours about us acquiring players only where the eff turkoglu and calderon are going..

Comment

TRX wrote: View Post
                    Why the hell would the Suns want any of the Raptors' backup guards if they don't have minutes anymore for their former sixth man?
                    Plus, until something actually happens, it's best to dismiss this as simply another case of Toronto being linked to every single international player by the media. And this time, an international player who used to play for BC.

Comment

Banks can be a spark. I have seen him up close enough to know what he is about. He can drive, but he cannot create, nor can he shoot consistently.
                      On defense, he is aggressive to a fault. Gets caught out of position, and had issues playing within the system.
                      With a little more Basketball IQ, he could do damage.

Comment

Barbosa's not a PG. Why do you guys always want to jump on these undersized shooting guards? It boggles my mind. Yes, he's quick, yes, he can score. But he's not a PG. You don't want him starting, and last time I checked, the Raptors are fine at backup PG.

Enough with these half-assed "solutions" that don't actually solve any problems. Just because a guy is available doesn't mean the Raptors should suddenly look at him.
                        100% agree
                        Someone should find out if Alvin Williams knees are any better
                        Last edited by grindhouse; Sun Jul 4, 2010, 10:54 PM.

Comment

The Raptors don't need him but if he's the best player they can get in a trade by a significant margin then sign me up. In a rebuild you need to stockpile talent. You can later use that talent to fill holes when you're ready to seriously compete.

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                            The Raptors don't need him but if he's the best player they can get in a trade by a significant margin then sign me up. In a rebuild you need to stockpile talent. You can later use that talent to fill holes when you're ready to seriously compete.
                            i hate rebuilds.They almost never work the clippers have been in rebuild for ever now, though they are better now but hardly close to a title
                            ya dun noe

Comment

Only real value in getting Barbosa is that he is a better trade asset than Evans or Banks. Maybe even as early as the next trade deadline.

That said - Evans & Banks for Barbosa + Clark(*) is a bad trade for the Raps imo. Two expiring contracts is a lot to give up for a marginal improvement.

(*) no way Phoenix gives us Dudley

Which is to say that decent trades (imo) would include:

Evans & Banks FOR Barbosa & Dudley

or

Evans & Bellinelli FOR Barbosa & lottery protected pick

Comment

I don't see how Barbosa can play with Hedo in the same time, both needs the ball in hands to be effective. If we trade Hedo for Barboasa, then I would do it just to get rid of Hedo . I don't believe Barbosa will improve Raptors at all, is going to be just an band aid solution at most, the worst can happen is to have Barbosa eating minutes that Young Gunz may have. But we need to get rid of one of 3 PG as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X