No announcement yet.

Tom Thibodeau: Raptor players would be wise to listen to a winner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think we should try waterboarding Bargnani and see how he plays next season. We haven't exhausted EVERY avenue.
    @sweatpantsjer

Comment

Let's get SVG.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
        Motivation, and coaches words are ways that help you want to get that goal, but it's really all up to you to get used to it
        Sorry, while getting caught up in trying to make my point clearly, I overlooked some of the contents of your post.

Can you do what the Coach expects? If what is expected is absolutely realistic and reasonable, of course you can. If the Coach didn't believe you can believe in yourself, he/she wouldn't expect it from you.
        Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
          Sorry, while getting caught up in trying to make my point clearly, I overlooked some of the contents of your post.

Can you do what the Coach expects? If what is expected is absolutely realistic and reasonable, of course you can. If the Coach didn't believe you can believe in yourself, he/she wouldn't expect it from you.
          Of course I (or whoever) can reach those expectations, which is going back to, do you want to put in the work to get there?
          Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I would love to have a proven coach next in Toronto but prior experience does not necessarily equal a great coach. First head coaching gig Thibodeau had was in Chicago. By the way I love Thibs. I played for a number of coaches and he reminds me of my favourite by far.

‘‘There’s no magic to it,’’ Thibodeau said. ‘‘You have to put the work into winning. If you do that, you can put yourself in position to win. There are five things we always talk about and try to get established in every game: the defense, the rebounding, lower turnovers, inside-out and share the ball. [If] we do that and everyone does their job, we feel we’re going to have a chance, no matter where we are, no matter who we’re playing against.’’

The interesting part is that there are people on the roster who aren’t Thibodeau’s kind of players. Carlos Boozer and good defense never have met. I’m guessing Thibodeau could do without Nate Robinson’s up-and-down performances.

But he takes what he has and makes everybody better. That’s what the best coaches do. He probably could have taken the Brooklyn Nets and beaten the Bulls in the first round. Guaranteed, he would have banished the Nets’ selfish offensive tendencies and made them take better shots.

We’ve all heard his stock phrases:

Do your job.

We have more than enough to win.

Next man up.

The secret to the Bulls’ success isn’t that he believes these things down to his DNA, though he does; it’s that his players believe them. It’s the only good explanation for what has happened for the Bulls this season. They should have lost to the more talented Nets. They had no business beating the Heat on Monday without sick Luol Deng and injured Kirk Hinrich.

But they did their jobs and had more than enough to win, thanks to the next man stepping up.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baske...-of-bulls.html

I think that is the difference between Raps this year and last: last year players bought in. This year, not so much. If I had a coach preaching accountability and "Bargnani come hell or high water" in the next breath, I might not believe in the process either. I think Casey ruined a tremendous thing he had going in Toronto - whether that was him or coming from above is open for debate.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
              I would love to have a proven coach next in Toronto but prior experience does not necessarily equal a great coach. First head coaching gig Thibodeau had was in Chicago. By the way I love Thibs. I played for a number of coaches and he reminds me of my favourite by far.

I think that is the difference between Raps this year and last: last year players bought in. This year, not so much. If I had a coach preaching accountability and "Bargnani come hell or high water" in the next breath, I might not believe in the process either. I think Casey ruined a tremendous thing he had going in Toronto - whether that was him or coming from above is open for debate.
              I totally agree, with the second bold in your quote and about the buying in. This is essential, players have to believe that the system they are trying to implement will actually produce results. The Chicago players believe they can win playing the way Thibs wants them to play. He has their respect, and they believe in the advice he gives them, so they put forth the effort necessary to be competitive. This is definitely lacking in TO. I think the whole idea of centering on Bargs blew up in their face and the players never recovered, especially after that horrible start. They didn't believe in the system and as such did not put forth the effort and intensity necessary to compete consistently. I hope the moving of Bargs, or at least relegating him to the bench, and the development of a "team" system will change the overall effort level. This is how a coach motivates players, by making them believe in what he is preaching.

This is why I don't believe we, or any team for that matter, absolutely need a superstar in order to be a top tier ball club. And it's also why I think this team can be successful and make it to the playoffs and possibly win a round with the players it has (well, maybe a tweak or two to the bench). The right system that the players buy in to can be produce results. So, the question becomes, do you tailor the system to the players, or acquire players that fit the system?

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                I don't care if a guy has head coaching experience. It's not definitive in terms of value and I'm not sure it's material at all, though it is relevant. Look, everyone needs to start somewhere. If you watch the playoffs you see that Popovich, Mark Jackson, Spoelstra, Thibs, Vogel, Brooks - all were first time head coaches when hired. This whole "veteran head coach" crap is nonsense. Doug Collins, Byron Scott and Scott Skiles are veteran head coaches - anybody want them? How did D'Antoni do in LA? Would Brian Shaw have achieved less?

Coaching is overrated. For Thibodeau, he absolutely deserves lots of credit but so do Noah and Boozer for keeping that ship afloat. You have to consider that maybe Chicago has a lot of underrated players.

Comment

Working...
                X