Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masai Ujiri Hired As Raptors GM (post #780)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• planetmars wrote: View Post
    This whole thing is a mess. MLSE hires a guy who wants another GM but doesn't know who yet. They are getting ready for draft combines soon and is there even going to be a Raptor representative? Aren't a lot of the big wigs from other teams going to be there? Isn't that a good place to start talking trades and transactions (not necessarily about the draft but for other players)?

Bryan needs to go but that decision should have been made weeks ago. Like the day after his press conference.

Was Leiweke going after Phil only to realize that the Sacramento to Seattle move might actually happen now, and so Leiweke is scrambling to find a plan B? This doesn't look good at all.
    I agree, but I think the issue goes back farther than Leiweke press conference.
    It goes back to last summer. When we let BC have another year but offered him no security beyond that. He used that year to assemble a marginally talented team and handcuff all flexibility. He had to do it to save his job. Its an agency problem that we created then and are paying the price now.

A year ago (and before that even), I was screaming for BCs head. The asinine Nash talk was the final straw for me. I got lambasted on this forum for going so hard at BC then. Here we are now, handcuffed for at least 2 years, with no leadership structure, in the lottery for the 5th stratght year, still a total bottom-feeding laughing stock. At least now many RR members are cluing into what a mess the team really is.

Now, I dont really see the point in canning BC. Were already too far along a strategy that he created. Might as well ride it out. The time to fire him was last summer. Its too late now. Were married to the guy for another couple of years.

Comment

• slaw wrote: View Post
      I think the tension here is pretty obvious. If you fire Colangelo, you are handing the reins to someone new who will want to start over. That's fine but it might be a tough sell to ticket buyers, etc. who want to see meaningful games for their $200 tickets (or $4,000/suite tickets). It's not even really about the money per se cause this team will continue to make money regardless. It's about how far you can dig down before you can't get out of the hole....

So, there's that, versus: this roster isn't that good and won't win much of anything, so it needs to be rebuilt.

The one factor here that might play into this: look at the playoffs. Memphis, Indiana, Chicago, GS - all teams without a Lebron/Durant type guy and all right in the thick of it and, at least Memphis, is a legit title contender. Could a new guy chart a course of JV, plus another young guy, along with a rebuilt supporting cast?
      The Raptors have been sh!t for the majority of their 18 year existence and they have been better than average in league attendance.

Maybe if they rebuild with new direction this time will be different, but I don't think so. Rebuilding with Colangelo would be a tough sell though, no doubt.

Out of curiousity, do MLSE still attach Raptor season tickets to Leafs?

Comment

• LBF wrote: View Post
        I'm for giving Colangelo another year. It's new ownership and maybe, it gives Caolngelo room to breathe that he didn't have with the other ownership/management.

You guys need to realize the likelihood that you're going to find/lure someone better. He has made some bad moves,but, at least he's taking risks and trying. Let us not forget that he has two executive of the year awards. At 45, I doubt he's lost his touch. Not to take away from the negatives. Just this guy has the qualifications to. if anything. be given one more year.

I would call his last two high profile moves a success. The Lowry and Gay acquisitions. So, maybe he's back on track. He's also been good at the last three drafts we've been in. If there is no improvement this upcoming year can him and casey both, no doubt!
        come on, man.

onemoreyearonemoreyearonemoreyear...doesn't it ever get old? just how low does it have to be for people to realize that the level of lowness was brought about by BC in the first place?

what is it about the lowry & gay acquisitions that lead you to believe they can be classified as successes at the moment, or for the future?

do you really think that anyone who could be considered for a GM position of a pro team would be so much worse than what BC has been IN ACTUALITY? that's why you keep him???...because it's a theoretical possibility that the guy who you replace him with does an even worse job (if that's even a possibility...open for debate)? how would that even be gauged? once you're this bad/mediocre, getting worse is a good thing. or is the objective to clasp the team with leg irons to a treadmill, and shoot for a first round exit every season?

all i want is to believe that the GM running the raptors gives more of a shit about the product on the floor than anything else. BC's moves of late (read: almost his entire tenure in TO) have been driven by his desire to make the 'right' move according to what he believes is public perception. so he goes & gets a pseudo star (i.e. someone who's only paid like one) in rudy gay. matt fucking devlin calling somone a star 88 times a game doesn't actually make that player a star. giving out ridiculous extensions to sub-par players that you drafted doesn't make them a good draft pick, a franchise cornerstone, a building block, worth that money, etc. etc. then taking to the airwaves and proclaiming one of those 'franchise players' as being available in trade - when anyone with any common sense should know that doing so only placates the masses, and lowers his value - just so much dumb. as much of a bargs 'hater' as i've been labeled over the years, the way BC conveniently chucked him under the bus when public sentiment turned against bargs and towards BC was pathetic. if the deluded masses want to look at reasons why free agents might not want to play in TO, they can slot this kind of bullshit ahead of the weather & any other quasi-excuses that usually only exist to satisfy whatever narrative whatever bleating fucking idiot is trying to pass off as a woe-is-us excuse for why the raptors are bad YET AGAIN.

one more year? fuck and no.

but since i'm used to disappointment (the one & only thing BC has delivered with any consistency), i'm guessing he'll be back.
        TRUE LOVE - Sometimes you know it the instant you see it across the bar.

Comment

• yertu damkule wrote: View Post
          do you really think that anyone who could be considered for a GM position of a pro team would be so much worse than what BC has been IN ACTUALITY? that's why you keep him???...because it's a theoretical possibility that the guy who you replace him with does an even worse job (if that's even a possibility...open for debate)? how would that even be gauged? once you're this bad/mediocre, getting worse is a good thing. or is the objective to clasp the team with leg irons to a treadmill, and shoot for a first round exit every season?
          This has always been the sorriest excuse for keeping Colangelo. It's like your buddy who is dating an awful girl but won't break up with her cause he's afraid he can't do any better when, in actuality, dating an angry hippo would be just about the same thing....

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
            Out of curiousity, do MLSE still attach Raptor season tickets to Leafs?
            The suites are for everything I believe. That's basically every arena though. I was never clear on the season ticket issue but back when I lived in Toronto (2000-2004) I knew people who had Leafs tix and no Raps tix. As I say, though, I don't think it's a money issue.

Reading another board, some people are suggesting the delay might be a way to give Colangelo and excuse to resign and walk away gracefully. Not sure about that but it's a different spin on things.... They haven't exactly given him a resounding vote of confidence.

Comment

• Mere speculation but it seems to me like MLSE wants to pick up Colangelo's option but Colangelo is asking for more. When you put yourself in BC's shoes, his choices are to either stay as Raps. GM for a year and possibly go or get a new long term contract with another team. On the other hand MLSE would not want to commit past the option year and understandably so.
              Attitude Is A Choice.

Comment

• Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                I think this statement could be very telling, in a move that lets all sides save face, at least to a certain degree:

“It wouldn’t shock me that if at the end of the day, if I’m not going to give him a vote of confidence, he moves on,” said Leiweke.
                The Board neither fires/keeps/extends BC - their hands are clean.

Leiweke doesn't 'make his mark' with the BC decision, but is left with the freedom to 'make his mark' on the team by hiring BC's replacement.

BC doesn't get fired, he maintains control over his own destiny and is left to pursue a new job.

Comment

• It makes more sense to keep BC for a final year while we scout for someone who can take over the season after.

If BC resigns, I think it would effectively be the end of his GM career in the NBA.

Comment

• Eric Akshinthala wrote: View Post
                    Mere speculation but it seems to me like MLSE wants to pick up Colangelo's option but Colangelo is asking for more. When you put yourself in BC's shoes, his choices are to either stay as Raps. GM for a year and possibly go or get a new long term contract with another team. On the other hand MLSE would not want to commit past the option year and understandably so.

That is some good speculation.

If true that is some crazy nerve.

He should be begging for his option year.

What a joke.

Comment

• drunkmunky wrote: View Post
                      It makes more sense to keep BC for a final year while we scout for someone who can take over the season after.
                      No. If that's the plan, then we need a placeholder in there and not a lame-duck GM thats so desperate he will hamstring the franchise and destroy our future trying to keep his job. That is pretty much what happened this past year.

Comment

• CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
                        I think this statement could be very telling, in a move that lets all sides save face, at least to a certain degree:

The Board neither fires/keeps/extends BC - their hands are clean.

Leiweke doesn't 'make his mark' with the BC decision, but is left with the freedom to 'make his mark' on the team by hiring BC's replacement.

BC doesn't get fired, he maintains control over his own destiny and is left to pursue a new job.

Whatever gets the Raptors starting a new chapter is fine by me.

Comment

• He's just asking for it. Doesn't mean he'll get it.

If I valued myself as he does himself, it makes sense.

There are too may BC threads. I'm getting confused to as to which one to respond to.

Comment

What if Colangelo decides he does not want to be a lame duck next season and wants a longer term extension to which Leiweke/MLSE say no?

I could see a scenario where Stefanski is made interim GM and Casey is kept on for this upcoming season. During that time Casey is told to focus on defense and Stefanski is given the mandate to accumulate as many assets and as much flexibility as possible from the core of DeRozan/Lowry/Gay/Bargnani.

2014-15 would then give a new GM a clean slate with a LOT of flexibility.

Another rebuild many will say? Well, it has been on going for 14 of 18 years, what is another 1 or 2 if done with leadership possessing the patience to stick to an actual plan?
                            No more rebuilt. 5 years out the playoffs. No more plus. This actually a nice core. Last summer we would of died to have a starting line up like we do now.
                            @Chr1st1anL

Comment

Whatever gets the Raptors starting a new chapter is fine by me.
                              There's definitely a lot of momentum building towards Wednesday, one way or another. It just seems to me that BC needs a fresh start away from Toronto as much as Bargnani does, for himself, the franchise, the fanbase, new ownership, etc...

Comment

• Comment

Working...
                                X