Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowry/Derozan - best backcourt in the East?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lark Benson wrote: View Post
    Of course I don't know how injured players would perform. But are you suggesting it's unreasonable to give the former MVP of the league the benefit of the doubt until his injuries prove he's not the same player? Because I disagree.

I'm not offended by the topic, I simply think it's silly to trumpet the Raps' duo when they're winning a race because everyone better than them dropped out or is in a different conference. They're still not a backcourt that you would want eating up about 1/3rd of your salary cap on a contender (and here I'm assuming what we all know to be true: Lowry will probably get paid 9-10mil per), so who cares if they're the best backcourt in an anaemic conference? To me it's a case of winning first prize at the Special Olympics.
    Taking a shot at the Special Olympics is not cool dude.
    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
      Ya I agree not even I would go there and Im supposed to be the offensive member on this forum STOP SREALING MY BIT Lark!

Comment

oh sure. lets do it the other way. wall already averages more assists in his 3rd year than lowry does now, whos having a career high after 8 seasons. along with more assists, wall also averages more ppg. wall is a better FT shooter, equal rebounder, and more steals and even blocks than lowry averages after 8 seasons. wall even gets to the line more. 3 point shooter-wise, lowry has the one up on that.

all this and 4 years younger than lowry is.

i could do the same thing with beal vs derozan if you really insist.
        LMAO? This guy. Wall/Beal maaay one day be better, but as of right now they aren't I read someone saying Derozan and Lowry were WAAAY older too? I think it's only a few years.

Wall isn't a max contract player, and beal is highly overrated. As of right now he's a shooter and that's pretty much it.

DeRozan has elevated his game and is better than beal at EVERYTHING except 3 point shooting. So I don't even see how anyone's making that comparison. Lowry and Wall aren't that far off either.

Gimme Lowry & DeRozan. Making us the best back court in east. Kind of explains our success right? If they weren't we'd be worst than most of these other teams, because there's a lot of better front courts still out there.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
          Yeesh, because worse things don't get thrown around here all day every day right?

Or maybe step back a bit and think about why it's not an insult for a second.

Are special Olympics still exceptional athletes, better than you or I could hope to be? Of course. The record in men's 100m for example is 10.46, that's fucking outstanding.
          But are they as skilled as the athletes that compete in the regular Olympics? Nope. That's just reality.

Kinda like the Raps back court. Are they still outstanding, relative to the bulk of the league? Yep. But they among the best in the league? Not so much.

Seems like a perfect analogy to me. Granted, to be more politically correct I could have used Commonwealth Games or some other lesser competition, but meh. Just because I'm making an offhand joke to bring my point home doesn't mean I don't respect the hell out of disabled athletes.

Comment

Raps have now lost 3 of 4. Wiz are now 20-20. You guys still think Raps backcourt is better than Washington's?

Beal > DeRozan
            Wall > Lowry
            Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
              Raps have now lost 3 of 4. Wiz are now 20-20. You guys still think Raps backcourt is better than Washington's?

Beal > DeRozan
              Wall > Lowry
              Based on this season alone, I might say:

Beal < DeRozan
              Wall = Lowry

Beal's been in and out of the lineup due to injury, and Lowry/Wall are both having great seasons (and helping their respective teams win more games than originally anticipated).

But considering Washington's youth, I'd much rather have Beal and Wall moving forward.

Comment

C-Low wrote: View Post
                and beal is highly overrated. As of right now he's a shooter and that's pretty much it.
                Disagree. Beal can pass, shoot, and create off the bounce (there was some loose talk of converting him to a PG once he got to the NBA). And he's a bit of a thief on the defensive end too.

He's much more than a shooter.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                  Disagree. Beal can pass, shoot, and create off the bounce (there was some loose talk of converting him to a PG once he got to the NBA). And he's a bit of a thief on the defensive end too.

He's much more than a shooter.
                  Agreed.

Beal last night - 22pts 9rbs 8ast.
                  Mamba Mentality

Comment

TRex wrote: View Post
                    Agreed.

Beal last night - 22pts 9rbs 8ast.
                    On 53% shooting (8/15), including 75% (3/4) behind the arc.

I'd be thrilled if Ross could develop into that type of player, given his shooting stroke and defensive abilities.

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                      Part if it is how you determine best. Is it talent? Production? OR is it winning? If someone said, "There's a best of seven series STARTING TONIGHT and you have a choice of having Lowry and Derozan as your starting back court OR Wall and Beal, who would you take?" My answer would be Lowry and Derozan and it's not even close. Next year, I'd put my money on the Wall Beal combo, but right now, TODAY, Derozan and Lowry are playing better basketball. Hopefully, the Raptors will get Washington in the first round, as that would go a long way to settle the argument.

The fact that Lowry and Derozan are the two most important players on a team that has a better RECORD than everyone in the conference other than Miami/Indy/Atlanta, goes a low way to saying they're better. If you look at the rest of our starters we've got a two second year players, and Amir not the most potent of front courts.

I don't think it means much, and I don't see them being the best back court next year, but right now it's pretty easy to make the case for them.
                      and now washington are also 20-20, tied with us. so what exactly is that saying about 'the best backcourt in the east' derozan and lowry?

answer: they're not.

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                        and now washington are also 20-20, tied with us. so what exactly is that saying about 'the best backcourt in the east' derozan and lowry?

answer: they're not.
                        Yeah because wins depend on who's backcourt is better and have nothing to do with Valanciunas playing like crap 3 straight games or Amir going into the tank. No points from Terrence Ross..do you even watch the games?
                        9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

KeonClark wrote: View Post
                          Yeah because wins depend on who's backcourt is better and have nothing to do with Valanciunas playing like crap 3 straight games or Amir going into the tank. No points from Terrence Ross..do you even watch the games?
                          maybe if you actually READ THE POST i was quoting aka "the fact that Lowry and Derozan are the two most important players on a team that has a better RECORD than everyone in the conference other than Miami/Indy/Atlanta, goes a long way to saying they're better."

that was what i was referring to. but feel free to try and dispute this in some bizarre away as well. how about comparing derozan to wade again or more dumb shit like that?

Comment

Lol are you serious? Those aren't his averages. Those are his current season stats as of 37 games. He's played 5 seasons already. His ACTUAL average is lower.

Those stats on beal are only from 27 friggin games. But that's ok I'll let you roll with it. The fact that beal is A SOPHOMORE who's stats aren't even significantly different from derozans except he's shooting higher 3 pointers than LOWRY clearly makes beal the more rounded player.

The fact that Beals assists numbers aren't that far from derozans (the one thing everyone's so proud of DD for this season) except it took DD 5 years to get to those numbers and beal only 2, makes beal the more solid player in that department as well.

Overall, wall and beal together are clearly the better of the pair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
                            I don't think you understood the original question being asked. No one is comparing careers, or upside.

This is a 'now' question. And Derozan currently is better at facilitating (especially after the Rudy trade), better at defending, better at rebounding, and all the while he is in a harder position being the number 1 option on O (he gets doubled alot). I would say Derozan has more skill currently than Beal.
                            The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

enlightenment wrote: View Post
                              I don't think you understood the original question being asked. No one is comparing careers, or upside.

This is a 'now' question. And Derozan currently is better at facilitating (especially after the Rudy trade), better at defending, better at rebounding, and all the while he is in a harder position being the number 1 option on O (he gets doubled alot). I would say Derozan has more skill currently than Beal.
                              um if this is seriously a "NOW" question, then its quite easily beal/wall. derozan has been playing like absolute garbage this past week.

Comment

um if this is seriously a "NOW" question, then its quite easily beal/wall. derozan has been playing like absolute garbage this past week.
                                ^lol, teach me the ways, master spin doctor
                                9 time first team all-RR, First Ballot Hall of Forum

Comment

Working...
                                X