• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Off-Season Targets

1.) Shawn Marion 3/4

Contract Status: 2013/2014 Early Termination Option

How we get him? If his ETO is excercised we offer him the full MLE
    If not a trade that involves anyone but Lowry/DeRozan/Gay/Johnson/Valanciunas would be palatable to me

Why do I want him? Solid defender, veteran presence, excellent rebounder, high basketball IQ adds a dimension to
    playing small ball 4

2.) Luis Scola 4/5

Contract Status: $4,148,510 -$4,508,504-$4,868,499

How we get him? Phoenix has recently fired their GM and in a rebuilding mode a young player like Terrence Ross could probably get this done.

Why do I want him? He is an extremely crafty cost effective 4, with low post savvy and effective range he would be a much cheaper option over someone like Boozer or Gasol.

3.) Chauncey Billups 1/2

Contact Status: Free Agent

How we get him? Mid Level or Mini Mid Level for two years could get this done. The exception to my knowledge (I'm still reading that novel of Larry Coons) depends on our cap situation before July 1st. He already has his ring so a competitive situation with available playing time would be ideal for him. The Clippers focus is going to turn to Bledsoe anyway.

Why do I want him? I'm done with PG battles. Lowry needs to know he is the man. Casey needs to know if his man goes down there is a solid piece in place to aid the Raps in not losing a step. If Lowry stays healthy we got our 6th man who can play 12 - 14 minutes at PG and 8 - 10 at SG.

4.) Anderson Verajao 4/5

How we get him? The Cavs are not as far along the rebuilding path as Toronto is. Shedding salary and offering up Acy along with an expiring contract or two would allow for some tinkering.

Why do I want him? can you imagine the energy, intensity, rebounding, shot blocking, hustle of an Amir, Anderson, Jonas big rotation? Again he would add playoff experience, and another veteran presence.
    For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

They need a knockdown 3pt shooter, a veteran big and a backup PG.

I'd love to have one of Korver, Redick, or Dunleavy. Getting one of those guys would solve our 3pt shooting needs. As for that veteran big, ELTON BRAND should be their #1 target. And as for the backup PG? no idea but i would love to have Luke Ridnour here or trade for a mid/late 1st round pick and select Myck Kabongo or Shane Larkin.
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

Hehe, remember the first time the Raps tried to get Marion?
      +1 for a knockdown 3 guy, even better if they play D

Comment

A stable backup point guard who has the size to guard the 1 and 2 guard positions, and a solid post player.

Comment

Given the lack of financial flexibility, if Andrea is somehow converted into Luke Ridnour and Derrick Williams, I'm a happy camper.
          “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

My big man targets in a Bargnani-centred deal, leaving out Boozer and Gasol....
            1-Ersan Ilyasova (pipe dream)
            2-Luis Scola
            3-Carl Landry (may be available in free agency)

My PG targets in a Bargs deal:
            1- Ridnour
            2- Sessions

Free agent targets - bigs:
            1 - Brand (top choice assuming Bargs is traded for one of 3 listed above)
            2 - Blatche
            3 - Earl Clark
            4 - Pachulia
            5 - Jamison

Blatche and Clark would be targets if they miss out on a PF in a Bargs trade. Brand main target if they don't. Pachulia is a good target as a backup C. And Jamison is a good stretch 4 who can play backup PF if they get someone like Gasol who can play C.

Free agent targets - PG:
            -CJ Watson
            -Shaun Livingston
            -Prigioni (not as main backup, but as a 3rd PG if Lucas is gone)

Some ok options at PG, but surprisingly not very good veteran options, unless Jose is brought back (which I only mention because he's actually probably the best veteran PG on the market)...Maybe Earl Watson, but I never liked him that much, and I think he's pretty done.

Free agent targets - wings (assuming top 4 next year are Ross, Fields, DeMar and Rudy):
            -Marquis Daniels
            -Keith Bogans
            -Roger Mason Jr.
            -Chase Budinger

Notice these are unspectacular names....the guys I would go after the most would only make sense if one of the current top 4 is traded, and those are guys like Dorrell Wrighte, the Brewers, Belinelli, Foye (especially if the new backup PG lacks playmaking skills)....
            Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Apr 23, 2013, 08:12 AM.

Comment

CJ Watson would be so sick!

As for Varejo awesome player real nose for the ball, but has a huge contract and gets hit with the injury stick very frequently. I would trade Bargnani for Ridnour and Williams obviously, dont get it twisted though Derrick Williams really....kinda sucks...

Comment

Scola, Brand, or Landry all would be great additions (although I wouldn't do Scola for Ross as outlined above).

I'd also like to see Jose back, although I recognize the potential problems. If Lowry comes into training camp healthy he should be able to establish himself as the alpha dog. I guess part of me hopes that Jose wants to be part of Toronto getting into the playoffs again and would be willing to take a secondary role as opposed to being the starter for a couple years on a bad team like Detroit.

We do need 3 point shooting but I would be shocked if Ross, DeRozan, Gay and Fields don't ALL come back with improved 3 point shots next year. Dunleavy might be a nice addition - high IQ guy, veteran presence and he can shoot it.

Comment

Chris Mullin and Phil Jackson.

Comment

My ideal offseason would include the following moves:

1. Anderson, Pietrus and Telfair leave as free agents
                    2. Kleiza leaves via amnesty
                    3. Gray (player) and Lucas (team) return via options
                    4. Bargnani traded to Minnesota for Williams & Ridnour
                    5. DeRozan traded to Utah for Millsap (S&T)
                    6. Dunleavy signed as free agent for some/all of the MLE

STARTERS
                    C: Valanciunas
                    PF: Millsap
                    SF: Gay
                    SG: Fields
                    PG: Lowry

PRIMARY 2ND UNIT
                    C: Johnson
                    PF: Williams
                    SF: Dunleavy
                    SG: Ross
                    PG: Ridnour

BENCH
                    C: Gray (will play instead of Williams, depending on matchups)
                    PF: Acy
                    PG: Lucas

-----

If BC was being honest about the team only making tweaks, rather than any major moves, then these are the moves I'd like to be made:

1. Anderson, Pietrus and Telfair leave as free agents
                    2. Kleiza leaves via amnesty
                    3. Gray (player) and Lucas (team) return via options
                    4. Bargnani traded to Minnesota for Williams & Ridnour
                    5. MLE used to sign a veteran backup PF
                    6. veteran 5th wing signed to minimum contract

STARTERS
                    C: Valanciunas
                    PF: Johnson
                    SF: Gay
                    SG: DeRozan
                    PG: Lowry

PRIMARY 2ND UNIT
                    C: Veteran PF
                    PF: Williams
                    SF: Fields
                    SG: Ross
                    PG: Ridnour

BENCH
                    C: Gray (will play instead of Williams, depending on matchups)
                    PF: Acy
                    SF/SG: Veteran Wing
                    PG: Lucas

Comment

I agree Luis Scola may be a reasonable target if the Raptors are willing to trade some of their young prospects.

If the Raptors offer nothing more than the mid level exception, I don't see them landing Chauncy Billups. Billups is still an effective backup and he will have his choice of teams if he's just looking for a mid level exception type contract.

The Cavaliers do not need to shed salary. They are targeting the free agent class of 2014 and will be able to offer at least one max contract. Acy (a fringe NBA player at best) and expiring contracts won't come anywhere close to landing Andy. I also disagree with you that the Cavs are not as far along as the Raptors in respect to rebuilding. I believe the Cavaliers will be very competitive in 2014-2015.

Comment

Areas of need: backup PG and PF

My off season targets:

1) Get anything of value for Bargnani. Beggars can't be choosers. I don't see MIN being a realistic option because Bargnani is an expensive duplication of Love minus the rebounding. I also don't see why Minnesota gives up valuable assets for AB when he has another year of salary at $12M when you count trade kicker.

Possible Bargnani trades:

Lakers/Gasol - Raps need to send out $15.35M in salary, Bargnani is $11.28. You are not getting Gasol without another $4M in salary.

Bulls/Boozer - Possibility exists to trade 1-for-1 or do AB/JL3

Nets/Humphries - Best case scenario he returns to his double double ways. Worst case scenario he takes $12M off cap next season giving Raps about $8M plus whatever cap rises in space for 2014-15. (Actually Brooklyn is the team who should try Williams/Ridnour or Barea for Hump).

Cats/Ben Gordon - see Humphries but not an area of need.

76ers/Hawes - rumoured around deadline. Expiring contract. Philly has cap space for one for one. Maybe include Dorrell Wright in sign and trade?

GSW/Jefferson-Biedrins - see Humphries.
                        One of Jefferson or Biedrins plus Jarrett Jack in sign and trade.

SAC/Chuck Hayes-Jimmer or Jimmer-Salmons - unlikely as both add salary for Kings.

2) PG - Jack, Nate Robinson

3) PF - Brandan Wright, Tyler Hansbrough, Josh McRoberts

Ideally you address one of PG or PF with the Bargnani trade and use the MLE for the other.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                          Ideally you address one of PG or PF with the Bargnani trade and use the MLE for the other.
                          I wish I could bold your bold on this
                          For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

My off season targets:

1) Get anything of value for Bargnani. Beggars can't be choosers. I don't see MIN being a realistic option because Bargnani is an expensive duplication of Love minus the rebounding. I also don't see why Minnesota gives up valuable assets for AB when he has another year of salary at $12M when you count trade kicker.

Lakers/Gasol - Raps need to send out $15.35M in salary, Bargnani is $11.28. You are not getting Gasol without another $4M in salary.
                            [/B]
                            One of the reasons I thought a Bargnani-to-Minnesota trade could be possible is if Minny were able to then work out a deal to flip Bargnani to LA for Gasol. I don't see Toronto being able to work out a deal for Gasol, unless LA wanted Kleiza or Fields (doubtful). However, Minny could include Roy and draft pick(s), which would effectively be a salary dump for LA if Roy decides to retire.

Regardless of the methods of acquiring each player (ie: Bargnani trade, MLE, min wage veteran free agent) and regardless of the specific player acquired, there seems to be quite a bit of consensus about what the Raptors need to add:

#1 - backup PG, ideallly a pass-first type to facilitate 2nd unit offense

#2 - PF, either to supplant Johnson as the starter or to backup Johnson

#3 - 5th wing who can defend and shoot the 3, but who knows his role (ie: not AA)

* ideally some/all of these players would bring a grizzled veteran presence, to help mentor the Raptors' young core

Comment

My off season targets:

Bulls/Boozer - Possibility exists to trade 1-for-1 or do AB/JL3

Nets/Humphries - Best case scenario he returns to his double double ways. Worst case scenario he takes $12M off cap next season giving Raps about $8M plus whatever cap rises in space for 2014-15. (Actually Brooklyn is the team who should try Williams/Ridnour or Barea for Hump).

Cats/Ben Gordon - see Humphries but not an area of need.

76ers/Hawes - rumoured around deadline. Expiring contract. Philly has cap space for one for one. Maybe include Dorrell Wright in sign and trade?

GSW/Jefferson-Biedrins - see Humphries.
                              One of Jefferson or Biedrins plus Jarrett Jack in sign and trade.

SAC/Chuck Hayes-Jimmer or Jimmer-Salmons - unlikely as both add salary for Kings.

2) PG - Jack, Nate Robinson

3) PF - Brandan Wright, Tyler Hansbrough, Josh McRoberts

I thought our needs were backup PG and knockdown 3pt shooter. Gordon fits the bill for both of those. Shoots 40% from 3pt land and can definitely play backup PG as well as some SG. Can't defend worth a lick but he's a mega upgrade over Lucas and it fits the whole Bargs traded for one of our needs approach. Then we can use the MLE on a PF. I'm not crazy about Gordon but the whole not an area of need thing doesn't make sense.

Also, forget about Hump. There is zero market for that guy and it's because he's garbage. His bread and butter is supposed to be rebounding and he lost his starting gig to a guy who literally only rebounds and does nothing else. Hump = poor mans reggie Evans.

Comment

Working...
                              X