ESPN unveils Real +/-

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN unveils Real +/-

This new advanced stat is supposed to adjust for both the quality of team mates and opponents when on the court.

Amir has been considered an undervalued asset, one of the best screen setters in the league and a great help defender. Not as much appreciated on these boards by some. Well Amir has the highest RPM on our team at +4.84 pts/100 possessions. This also places him 12th best in the entire league.

#32 Kyle Lowry +3.49
    #102 Steve Novak +1.26
    #108 Pat Patterson +1.09
    #109 Landry Fields +1.04
    #133 Chuck Hayes +0.53
    #140 Greivis Vasquez +0.35
    #142 DeMar DeRozan +0.32
    #212 John Salmons -1.17
    #226 Terrence Ross -1.36
    #296 Jonas Valanciunas -2.15
    #327 Nando de Colo -2.64
    #340 Tyler Hansbrough -2.87

Note: these are for the entire year so Sacramento and San Antonio stats are included for those guys.

I'm sure these are going to infuriate a lot of posters, and validate other's opinions.

Links
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/10...eal-plus-minus
    http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/page/9/sort/RPM
    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

I think it's a very interesting way to look at players.

AMIR JOHNSON ALL THE WAY!!!!

Poor Elliot Williams. 76's SG, worst in the league. 435th.

Also, for all of you people who are all talking about DJ Augustine having "amazing play" in Chicago, he is 404th.
    The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

Would you mind explaining what the difference between this plus minus stat and the old one? I'm still a bit confused.
      I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Surprised derozan is a positive and not surprised Landry is. He should play more
        I'm back. I no longer worship joe johnson

Comment

For some reason, I expect these forms of analytics to favour Hansbrough a bit more..
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

RaptorsFohEva wrote: View Post
            I think it's a very interesting way to look at players.

AMIR JOHNSON ALL THE WAY!!!!

Poor Elliot Williams. 76's SG, worst in the league. 435th.

Also, for all of you people who are all talking about DJ Augustine having "amazing play" in Chicago, he is 404th.
            Yeah, DJ can run loose when he plays with Noah, Taj and Butler.

And Bargs squeaks into the Top 400.
            If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

3inthekeon wrote: View Post
              Yeah, DJ can run loose when he plays with Noah, Taj and Butler.

And Bargs squeaks into the Top 400.
              TOP FOUR HUNDRED!!!! YAAAAA!!!!

We never should have let him go, he's not as bad as we thought!!!!!

Oh wait, yes he is.
              The name's Bond, James Bond.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                Would you mind explaining what the difference between this plus minus stat and the old one? I'm still a bit confused.
                It's explained in the article. If you're on the court all the time with Lebron, he'll make you're normal old +/- look good even if you do squat. Guard Lebron an entire game you're numbers will probably be bad, even if you play well. I believe the numbers adjust so that you're playing with and against all average players - no one else pulling you're numbers up or pulling them down.

Comment

It's explained in the article. If you're on the court all the time with Lebron, he'll make you're normal old +/- look good even if you do squat. Guard Lebron an entire game you're numbers will probably be bad, even if you play well. I believe the numbers adjust so that you're playing with and against all average players - no one else pulling you're numbers up or pulling them down.
                  Ohhhh I missed that. That's great then. DD is better than I thought he would be. So if I go after a game on espn and look at the plus minus for each player this will be how they calculate it now?
                  I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

GLF wrote: View Post
                    Ohhhh I missed that. That's great then. DD is better than I thought he would be. So if I go after a game on espn and look at the plus minus for each player this will be how they calculate it now?
                    Don't think so - people like their oldtimey stats.

Comment

Don't think so - people like their oldtimey stats.
                      True.

Comment

I note that Vince Carter comes in at #36, ahead of all Raptors players not named Lowry or Johnson. This is relevent to the "Sign Carter in 2014" threads.

Comment

I'm still kinda hesitant to just completely buy into this. I wanna see more details of how its calculated.
                          "Bruno?
                          Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                          He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

So should Novak be starting?

Comment

Yay more made up stats so people can pretend to know stuff without watching the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X