No announcement yet.

2011 Draft Rumors & Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Perry Jones is a player I'd try to avoid. He has been dominated in a couple of games this season already, particularly against Kansas where the Morris twins carved him up. And he hasn't exactly carried Baylor on his back. The only thing that can give Perry a break, is that scouts said that Baylor doesn't know how to use him and he just isn't doing well at the 4 position. Sorry, I'll pass on a soft player, with a low b-ball IQ and too much talent that he doesn't know how to use.

Also, I am still in favour of picking Derrick Williams, the comparison to Beasley, is his scoring prowess and body/athelticism. Unlike, Beasley he doesn't have a jump shot, but also he has a higher b-ball IQ, motor and work ethic.
    -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
    -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• I was just playing with the ESPN mock lottery game and TOR drafted anywhere from 2-9 and everytime they drafted Enes Kanter.

Comment

• Raptorsss wrote: View Post
        Perry Jones is a player I'd try to avoid. He has been dominated in a couple of games this season already, particularly against Kansas where the Morris twins carved him up. And he hasn't exactly carried Baylor on his back. The only thing that can give Perry a break, is that scouts said that Baylor doesn't know how to use him and he just isn't doing well at the 4 position. Sorry, I'll pass on a soft player, with a low b-ball IQ and too much talent that he doesn't know how to use.

Also, I am still in favour of picking Derrick Williams, the comparison to Beasley, is his scoring prowess and body/athelticism. Unlike, Beasley he doesn't have a jump shot, but also he has a higher b-ball IQ, motor and work ethic.
        Williams is averaging 69% from 3 this year...not a typo! He makes 1 per game so he is not high volume, but he can shoot the ball.
        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
          Williams is averaging 69% from 3 this year...not a typo! He makes 1 per game so he is not high volume, but he can shoot the ball.
          I should clarify, he doesn't have a mid-range game. He scores either within 10 feet of the basket or from the 3-point line.
          -"You can’t run from me. I mean, my heart don’t bleed Kool-Aid."
          -"“I ain’t no diva! I don’t have no blond hair, red hair. I’m Reggie Evans.”

Comment

• Chat with Chad Ford

Your Mock Draft has the Raptors picking Kanter. Don't we have glaring needs at PG & SF?
            Chad Ford
            (1:46 PM)

True. But right now Raptors are drafting 5th and the best PG (Kyrie Irving) and SF (Perry Jones and Terrence Jones) are off the board. Plus Kanter does something that Andrea Bargnani doesn't -- he actually tries to rebound.
            Source: ESPN.com

Comment

• WJF wrote: View Post
              I am warming back up to Barnes, he has a huge game vs. Duke on Wednesday, I think it will tell us where he is in his development.
              Barnes needs another year at UNC, has the NBA frame, but still needs to develop one more year before he is ready.
              Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• Anything But 1st Overall

Figured this belonged here as well:

Apollo wrote: View Post
                Based on everything I've been reading, I think them winning the lotto is a bad thing this year. 2006 was the wrong year for them to win it but that was their year. 2006 and 2011 sound a lot alike. There is no consensus #1 choice. There is no one in the top that is separating themselves from the pack. Each pick in top fives of mock drafts come with more question marks than usual. This draft may go down like 2006 where the best player isn't found at the top and whoever lands the top pick is in a can't win situation with the fans in media. That being, they could get the guy they want as low as 5th overall, they know he's probably not going to be a Superstar, they know he's probably not ready to make a big impact but no one really wants to pay the "going rate" to move up into the #1 slot because they don't want to trade their way into the current 1st overall pick holder's situation. If the Raptors win a higher spot in the draft I would much rather it be #2 or #3. The majority of we the fans were not fair to Bargnani in the early stages. We wanted instant gratification and he wasn't offering that like Yao Ming or LeBron James were at the time and so us along with the media were far too hard on him, far too impatient and it created a pressure cooker situation that I feel he wasn't ready for. The Raptors lotto pick, whoever it might be, will enter into a far more nurturing Toronto and NBA if they are not selected #1. Not only does the #1 have to deal with the local fans and media's great expectations but also, I am of the opinion that the American media loves to see Canada's only team fail and they love to kick them when they're down. Some people may find this view ass backwards but whatever. It is what it is. I want the new young gun to enter into the best situation possible and that won't be via the 1st overall selection. That's a bad scenario in a draft where the #1 isn't likely to be any better than the #5.
                Link

Comment

• Perry Jones III (Baylor) – 6'11, 220 lbs. Forward
                  At 6'11 with the ability to play multiple positions out on the floor on both ends, Perry Jones III is the kind of prospect teams fall in love with at draft time. He'll win them over even more when they watch what he's capable of in a private setting. He's currently ranked as our top prospect, although there is a strong argument that can be made for other players like Irving, Sullinger, Jonas Valanciunas and Derrick Williams of Arizona. The Toronto Raptors immediately jump out as an ideal destination for Jones as they have a talented young core that is lacking only at the small forward position right now. Best Fit: Toronto Raptors.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1DgOj8ztA

HoopsWorld is saying P. Jones would fit best. Personally, if a SF is drafted, I think T. Jones is the better option. (I'm speaking only game here, not questions of work ethic (P) or attitude (T) - for both players!). T. Jones is a strong rebounder and shot blocker - maybe a little Crash in the making? - and these are attributes the Raps need more of.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                    Perry Jones III (Baylor) – 6'11, 220 lbs. Forward
                    At 6'11 with the ability to play multiple positions out on the floor on both ends, Perry Jones III is the kind of prospect teams fall in love with at draft time. He'll win them over even more when they watch what he's capable of in a private setting. He's currently ranked as our top prospect, although there is a strong argument that can be made for other players like Irving, Sullinger, Jonas Valanciunas and Derrick Williams of Arizona. The Toronto Raptors immediately jump out as an ideal destination for Jones as they have a talented young core that is lacking only at the small forward position right now. Best Fit: Toronto Raptors.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1DgOj8ztA

HoopsWorld is saying P. Jones would fit best. Personally, if a SF is drafted, I think T. Jones is the better option. (I'm speaking only game here, not questions of work ethic (P) or attitude (T) - for both players!). T. Jones is a strong rebounder and shot blocker - maybe a little Crash in the making? - and these are attributes the Raps need more of.
                    Though I fully agree that TJones is a monster, I've always been very high on Perry Jones and was actually quite happy to see this 'Best Fit' article. I think his length and versatility are something that TJones won't be able to offer. Not to mention his raw athleticism. He's the best athlete in the draft. Him and Demar beside each other would be the second coming of TMac and Carter. No one could catch em if they tried. Hopefully they're not the actual next Tmac and Carter and decide our Management is too unbearable to deal with. haha

Bottom line, I think either of them would fill a HUGE void on this roster and I'd be happy with either. But if I'm picking one of em, I'm going with Perry.

Comment

• joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
                      Bottom line, I think either of them would fill a HUGE void on this roster and I'd be happy with either. But if I'm picking one of em, I'm going with Perry.
                      You are absolutely correct. This roster is thin on talent and either one would certainly help increase it. At this point beggers can't be choosers.

My only concern is with a line up of possibily Jose, DD, Perry, Amir/Davis, and Bargnani the team could be renamed the Toronto Marshmellows.

Comment

My only concern is with a line up of possibily Jose, DD, Perry, Amir/Davis, and Bargnani the team could be renamed the Toronto Marshmellows.
                        hahaha I think we should just make that name change now.
                        Great point though.

Comment

• I'm starting to watch more and more college ball. If anyone is wondering the NCAA tv schedule in Canada, here you go:

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.c...s-tv-schedule/

I'm watching Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt, otherwise known to this Raptor fan as Jones vs. Taylor.

Comment

• http://www.draftexpress.com/article/...ry-Jones-3630/

Perry Jones
                            Lots of positives but....
                            "It's not easy to teach toughness and hustle, though, and these are things that are sorely lacking in Jones' game at the moment."
                            Last edited by jbml; Sat Feb 12, 2011, 04:32 PM.

Comment

• Please, no Ennes Kanter or any other European.

Realistically, we need a point guard who has all-star potential. The only two available for 2011 are Kyrie Irving and Kemba Walker.

I predict the Raps will have the 3rd and 20th pick in the 1rst round. Let's pretend that BC is somehow able to trade Jose or Barbosa for a top 10 pick

If Irving is taken in the first two and P. Jones is available, BC should grab Perry.
                              If we get Irving with the 3rd pick, BC should take either Sullinger, Barnes or Alec Burks with the late top ten pick. (depending on who's available) If we get Perry Jones with the 3rd, grab Kemba Walker with the other top 10 pick.

Finally, with the 20th pick I suggest BC take a chance on Renardo Sidney. He'd give us some toughness and plenty of charisma. By that time, maybe he'd see Toronto as a 2nd chance to the big-time.

Comment

I'm starting to watch more and more college ball. If anyone is wondering the NCAA tv schedule in Canada, here you go:

http://canadiansportsfan.wordpress.c...s-tv-schedule/

I'm watching Kentucky vs. Vanderbilt, otherwise known to this Raptor fan as Jones vs. Taylor.
                                do you maybe know any streams for ncaa games?

Comment

Working...
                                X