What If We Dealt DeMar And Not Rudy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    He had a great game 2nd Q onwards no question.

But this game is not the norm.... Sorry.

1.8 points per shot is outstanding... That is the difference in game.

His 1.03 of previous 5 games would have been 85-76 win for Mavs.

His 1.17 of season would have been 85-79 win for Mavs.

But as Prague, mike said tonight he had it and was difference in game.

Good on him.
    The best way to describe DD's game tonight was he hit shots. He took a lot of bad shots and just hit them. Though one could argue that if he would have played better D in the first...we may not have been down 21 after 1...

Comment

OldSkoolCool wrote: View Post
      The best way to describe DD's game tonight was he hit shots. He took a lot of bad shots and just hit them. Though one could argue that if he would have played better D in the first...we may not have been down 21 after 1...
      Well, that's exaggerating. Now, I was ragging on him as much as anybody in the dreadful 1st quarter (for his non-existent D), but he had maybe one of his better games in terms of shot selection (help explain a career high?), so you need to rewatch or at least check his shot chart.

http://stats.nba.com/shotchartPopup....Measure=FG_PCT

He shot 15-22 with 14 FTAs....And of his 22 FGs, 8 were long range, with 7 that might be called long 2s, with one 3pt attempt where he was wide open. 9 shots were deep in the lane/at the basket, and likely even more attempts that didn't register but ended up in him getting to the line.

Comment

Quick question, why are people only judging this trade Rudy vs DeMar using offensive numbers?

Also, looks like Gay is injured. THAT makes me also want to consider durability when comparing the 2.

I think Masai chose right. He picked the better contract, the better team defender (at least by appearance), the player more likely to pass the ball, the player more likely to change his game during rough spells, the younger player, and the more durable player. I think more teams would want DeMar than Rudy.

In a normal year is he in All-star conversations? Hell no. Should he be a first option? No-- he'd be way more efficient in a secondary role. BUT he can be a first option. AND he brings all the other things I listed to the table. Just seems like a no-brainer to me.

Comment

Watching Gay in Sacramento, I still have aching feeling that Gay was playing poorly on purpose to get traded as soon as possible. He probably Knew, with Colangelo gone and Ujiri in, there was a very high chance that he was gonna get dealt somewhere, so he didn't even try to play in Toronto in his last year. If Colangelo had stayed as GM, I'm pretty sure Gay would have been much safer from getting traded.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
            Well, that's exaggerating. Now, I was ragging on him as much as anybody in the dreadful 1st quarter (for his non-existent D), but he had maybe one of his better games in terms of shot selection (help explain a career high?), so you need to rewatch or at least check his shot chart.

http://stats.nba.com/shotchartPopup....Measure=FG_PCT

He shot 15-22 with 14 FTAs....And of his 22 FGs, 8 were long range, with 7 that might be called long 2s, with one 3pt attempt where he was wide open. 9 shots were deep in the lane/at the basket, and likely even more attempts that didn't register but ended up in him getting to the line.
            Shot Chart never can tell between good shot and bad shot, only where the shot took place. A shot chart cannot tell between an open corner 3 versus a fade-away contested 3 with 10 seconds left on the shot clock.

The following link is where you can watch every shot attempt.

http://stats.nba.com/gameDetail.html?GameID=0021300624

Just click on the column FGA in the DD row.

I went through and watched them all. In the first half I thought he did really well:

1st Quarter: 4/4 on good shots and 0/2 on bad shots
            2nd Quarter: 2/3 on good shots and 0/2 on bad shots

then he got hot...

3rd Quarter: 3/4 on good shots and 3/3 on bad shots
            4th Quarter: 1/2 on good shots, 1/1 on bad shots, and 1/1 on circus shots

13 good shots and 9 bad shots...his shot selection was much better than I thought. His 9/14 from the line really helped his stat line too.

And also as a side note...he never really led the team at any time during the game. He was on the floor during the first and getting butt-whooped defensively. He wasn't on the floor during the comeback. The team didn't make any headway in the third with him 'exploding'. In the fourth I though Val was a bigger presence on both sides of the ball. I really think if DD didn't play for a stretch of games, the Raps wouldn't get any worse.

Comment

Shot Chart never can tell between good shot and bad shot, only where the shot took place. A shot chart cannot tell between an open corner 3 versus a fade-away contested 3 with 10 seconds left on the shot clock.

The following link is where you can watch every shot attempt.

http://stats.nba.com/gameDetail.html?GameID=0021300624

Just click on the column FGA in the DD row.

I went through and watched them all. In the first half I thought he did really well:

1st Quarter: 4/4 on good shots and 0/2 on bad shots
              2nd Quarter: 2/3 on good shots and 0/2 on bad shots

then he got hot...

3rd Quarter: 3/4 on good shots and 3/3 on bad shots
              4th Quarter: 1/2 on good shots, 1/1 on bad shots, and 1/1 on circus shots

13 good shots and 9 bad shots...his shot selection was much better than I thought. His 9/14 from the line really helped his stat line too.

And also as a side note...he never really led the team at any time during the game. He was on the floor during the first and getting butt-whooped defensively. He wasn't on the floor during the comeback. The team didn't make any headway in the third with him 'exploding'. In the fourth I though Val was a bigger presence on both sides of the ball. I really think if DD didn't play for a stretch of games, the Raps wouldn't get any worse.
              Shot chart can tell you about intent though, regardless of whether the shot is a good or bad attempt. If a guy isn't even trying to get into the lane, that's never a good sign. That's also why I suggested you rewatch...and as you saw, he didn't have a game full of "bad shots". There are games were 60-70% of his shots are pretty low quality. This was not one of them.

On your last point, it's impossible to know. The team didn't make headway, but would they have fallen behind if he wasn't hitting those shots? I noted earlier that it's no coincidence their best stretches were when the O was more varied, but Casey's system doesn't often promote that, and thus you're left with guys like DeMar, Kyle and previously Rudy being forced into too many situations where they have to make something happen. Today DeMar was making pretty good choices. Another game could easily be the opposite.

Comment

If Derozan drove to the rim 70% of the time and actually make use of his 40" vertical, he would be a much more efficient player
                "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

Someone mentioned a week or so ago that DeRozan's long twos seem like a problem now, but come playoff time, it really helps to have someone who can sink that type of shot because teams step up their defense and a long two is often the only shot available. This seems to make sense to me, but I really don't know much about these things. Anyone else care to comment on this reasoning? If it is true, the regular season would be his time to "practice" his mid-range game and hopefully be reliable in the playoffs when points are harder to find.

Comment

Beagle wrote: View Post
                    Someone mentioned a week or so ago that DeRozan's long twos seem like a problem now, but come playoff time, it really helps to have someone who can sink that type of shot because teams step up their defense and a long two is often the only shot available. This seems to make sense to me, but I really don't know much about these things. Anyone else care to comment on this reasoning? If it is true, the regular season would be his time to "practice" his mid-range game and hopefully be reliable in the playoffs when points are harder to find.
                    fuck no. why would the long 2 ever be the only shot available. if anything, that would easily play to the opponents favour. if they force DD to shoot long 2s (which every team already tries to do), then we'll lose easily.

if you watched the spurs/miami finals games you can tell the spurs basically invited lebron to shoot long 2s by giving him a ton of space when he dribbles up to the key. lebron is way better at midrange than DD is, and even the king himself hesitates to take that shot.
                    Last edited by iblastoff; Thu Jan 23, 2014, 08:55 AM.

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                      If Derozan drove to the rim 70% of the time and actually make use of his 40" vertical, he would be a much more efficient player
                      Well, that's basically what happened this game. He took 22 shots, plus 11 FTA, so that's 27 scoring opportunities, give or take. He shot 9 at the rim and 4 sets of FTA's, plus 5 short jumpers from about 10 feet that are good shots to balance the drive. That's 18 of his 27 scoring opportunities coming off a drive or getting close to the basket. 67%.

He still took a good number of jumpers, but he set up his drive game first which opened up a lot more open shot opportunities for him (and got him into a rhythm offensively) later on.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post
                        fuck no. why would the long 2 ever be the only shot available. if anything, that would easily play to the opponents favour. if they force DD to shoot long 2s (which every team already tries to do), then we'll lose easily.

if you watched the spurs/miami finals games you can tell the spurs basically invited lebron to shoot long 2s by giving him a ton of space when he dribbles up to the key. lebron is way better at midrange than DD is, and even the king himself hesitates to take that shot.
                        Today in "Not a Coincidence" we present the top 5 defensive teams in the league and the top 5 teams in midrange field goal attempts given up...

Which teams force their opponents to take the most mid-range shots per game?
                        In order:
                        CHI
                        IND
                        ORL
                        SAS
                        GSW

Which teams have the best DRTG in the entire league?
                        In order:
                        IND
                        CHI
                        OKC
                        SAS
                        GSW

As a note, ORL and OKC are league average in the other category.
                        twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
                          [B]On your last point, it's impossible to know. The team didn't make headway, but would they have fallen behind if he wasn't hitting those shots? I noted earlier that it's no coincidence their best stretches were when the O was more varied, but Casey's system doesn't often promote that., and thus you're left with guys like DeMar, Kyle and previously Rudy being forced into too many situations where they have to make something happen Today DeMar was making pretty good choices. Another game could easily be the opposite.
                          There are a lot of unknowns that neither of us can say definitively. I do agree that Casey's system is terribly unimaginative though.

When I watch the Raps, I see DD...but he doesn't really impact the game like a good player should. And I'm not talking about LeBron level impact or anything like that, I'm talking even role player level impact.

I dunno maybe it's just me and actually wanting to watch some proper basketball. (ie tank and get a star, masiah plz)

Comment

iblastoff wrote: View Post

But that's the point he is trying to make. When you get into the playoffs the good teams force you to hit that midrange. It's hard to get anything else going. The Spurs forced Miami to hit the midrange shot all night. I was even saying this is the perfect strategy and Lebron and Wade could never keep up their hot shooting from the midrange all game but they did and that's one of the only reasons they won. If the Spurs can keep LEBRON and WADE from doing much of anything else but takng the long 2 who is Derozan and the rest of the Raptors. Trust me, the further you get into the playoffs the more you need someone who can do more than just shoot the three and go all the way inside. Miami and Indiana will take all of that away if we make it to the second round. But I am not saying the long 2 is a good shot, it isn't. Also I do agree that Derozan does settle too much at times and needs to mix it up more.
                            I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

The long two should only be used AFTER penetration and ball movement to try and get the three.

If your offense is oriented around settling for the mid ranged shot you wont win anything important

Comment

The long two should only be used AFTER penetration and ball movement to try and get the three.

If your offense is oriented around settling for the mid ranged shot you wont win anything important
                                Agreed.
                                I relish negativity and disappointment. It is not healthy. Somebody buy me a pony.

Comment

Working...
                                X