Preseason begins! Raptors vs Celtics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackjitsu wrote: View Post
    Raptors looked like they were coasting to me. However, that's the best that I've ever seen Ross. The Celtics commentators were awful as usual. The new nickname for 2/3 of the Raps was "that guy"...Crash looked healthy for a change, Green looked lost in the new Celtics offense and the Raps were using their deep bench early. Glad to see Rudy get out of that funk and Tyler did his thing.

Really hard to assess Raptor bigs when they're playing against a squad whose best big had back surgery last season. Got to get those turnovers down though.
    Ross was great but I don't know about that statement. Did you saw the Raps/Blazers game last year?
    Mamba Mentality

Comment

• Tyler Hansbrough = Toughest, most physical player we've had since Oakley. He's also a pretty skilled player. Love this guy.

It wouldn't surprise me if he beats out Amir for a starting spot.
      Mamba Mentality

Comment

• TRex wrote: View Post
        Ross was great but I don't know about that statement. Did you saw the Raps/Blazers game last year?
        He didn't get lost on defense, was into every play, played some point forward -- to be honest it looked like I was watching a different player, and unlike the Blazers game I think he played in a way that can become a consistent habit.

Comment

• Hansbrough is a bully and the anti-Bargnani. I'm not saying he's an all-star after one preseason, but it'll be pretty easy to support a guy who works that hard consistently.

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
          Same.. I was a casual fan until I found this site. Now everyone at my school hates me because I'm so hardcore. Lol
          Me too man, once I found places online to watch and read about basketball it's became an obsession

Comment

• Xixak wrote: View Post
            Well your point is wrong.

DD is a player that thrives when he isn't the focal point of the offense. He does better off-the-ball than on it, and also performs better when the defense is keying in on other players. Bringing him off the bench would force him to become a shot creator, which isn't something he excels at whatsoever. Talk about a great way to reduce a guy's positive impact on the game.
            DD - like most players - is a player who thrives against inferior competition. He'd get that off the bench.

Why would he become a shot creator? Can't sets be run for him as they are in the starting lineup? Remember that Rip Hamilton-like mid range game? What about post ups versus smaller guys? What about the fact he'd still get his 34+ minutes off the bench like JR Smith does?

What I am actually doing is talking about a way to make him a net positive on the game. As has been debated time and time again, he is not a great scorer, he is average at best, he is below average rebounding and assisting others. The only thing he really does is score. Why not put him on a lethargic second unit against inferior competition that might lead to him being a net positive in areas other than scoring.

Just throwing it out there. I'll mark you down as "nay".

Comment

• I only saw the first half, but here are my quick hit thoughts:

Gay continues to disappoint. Playing for a new contract? Doesn't look like it. Only one shot attempt at the rim? Passing (for the whole team) was terrible. Gay, while standing still, couldn't hit Lowry coming off a screen and threw it out of bounds. No pressure from the D, so what was the problem? Focus?! Finished with a nice line, 7-11, 17 pts, +13 but didn't look impressive at all in the first half.

I'd like to see Demar crash the boards more. He has great athleticism, no reason for this team to get beat on the boards. JV, Amir, Hansborough inside, with Demar, Lowry and Gay gathering anything long or tipped. We should be a tough team to grab o-boards on.

Hansborough impressed, but was a -6 on the night. Fields and Augustin were the only other Raps to be negative. Not sure what happened (again, only saw the first half).

11 offensive boards, 6 by Hansborough alone, is huge for this team. As we aren't the most efficient offence (see every thread regarding Gay or Derozan), extra possessions will be huge for the team.

Demar's shot selection (based on the shot chart for the game) looks better, with only 4 from outside 15 feet. He missed 3 of the 4, so hopefully that hammers home the importance of getting inside.

Ross only had 2 of his 10 attempts outside the lane. More aggressive?

Lowry with only 4 shot attempts? I expect big things (contract year) from him this year, but 2 shots per half isn't going to cut it. He's our best 3PT shooter in the starting unit and we'll need it.

4 qtr shot attempts were mostly at the rim, with only 2 deep shots. Good aggressive shot selection down the stretch. Too many years has this team settled for jumpers, nice to see.

I was really impressed with the Celtics offensive sets under Brad Stevens. Lots of off-ball movement. Roster is a mess, but I think Stevens is a great hire.

Olynyk looks legit. Great high low passing and fantastic in transition. There will be growing pains, but I liked what I saw (although not as much as the Beantown announcers loved him).
              Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Tommy Heinsohn has earned the right to be a homer after all he did win 8 championships as a Celtic player, 2 as their coach, was rookie of the year (ahead of teammate Bill Russell), was a six time NBA all star, was NBA coach of the year, and is a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, all as a Boston Celtic.

Comment

• stretch wrote: View Post
                  Tommy Heinsohn has earned the right to be a homer after all he did win 8 championships as a Celtic player, 2 as their coach, was rookie of the year (ahead of teammate Bill Russell), was a six time NBA all star, was NBA coach of the year, and is a member of the Basketball Hall of Fame, all as a Boston Celtic.
                  Yes, but he needs to work on getting his facts straight if he wants to be a decent colour commentator.
                  Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

• isaacthompson wrote: View Post
                    Yes, but he needs to work on getting his facts straight if he wants to be a decent colour commentator.
                    Agreed.

I have no problem with the homer loving his guys, building some excitement for new players, system, team.

That said, when you praise a guy for cutting off the angle on a drive "great job hustling back and cutting off the drive" when it is 100% clearly a foul (reached across the offensive players body, contact with the shoulder to the ball handler) then you are too much. You can still praise the guy for getting back and the hustle, but call it like it is "Olynyk got away with a foul on the reach there, but you love the hustle getting back in transition from the big guy".

When you find the announcers getting to you, I prefer to mute and use NBA Jam commentary instead. "Boomshakalaka!!!"
                    Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

• Tommy Heinsohn is so over the top in his homer comments that you can't help but be entertained. Don't take him seriously and you'll find it a lot more enjoyable.

Comment

• Axel wrote: View Post
                        I only saw the first half, but here are my quick hit thoughts:

Gay continues to disappoint. Playing for a new contract? Doesn't look like it. Only one shot attempt at the rim? Passing (for the whole team) was terrible. Gay, while standing still, couldn't hit Lowry coming off a screen and threw it out of bounds. No pressure from the D, so what was the problem? Focus?! Finished with a nice line, 7-11, 17 pts, +13 but didn't look impressive at all in the first half.

I'd like to see Demar crash the boards more. He has great athleticism, no reason for this team to get beat on the boards. JV, Amir, Hansborough inside, with Demar, Lowry and Gay gathering anything long or tipped. We should be a tough team to grab o-boards on.

Hansborough impressed, but was a -6 on the night. Fields and Augustin were the only other Raps to be negative. Not sure what happened (again, only saw the first half).

11 offensive boards, 6 by Hansborough alone, is huge for this team. As we aren't the most efficient offence (see every thread regarding Gay or Derozan), extra possessions will be huge for the team.

Demar's shot selection (based on the shot chart for the game) looks better, with only 4 from outside 15 feet. He missed 3 of the 4, so hopefully that hammers home the importance of getting inside.

Ross only had 2 of his 10 attempts outside the lane. More aggressive?

Lowry with only 4 shot attempts? I expect big things (contract year) from him this year, but 2 shots per half isn't going to cut it. He's our best 3PT shooter in the starting unit and we'll need it.

4 qtr shot attempts were mostly at the rim, with only 2 deep shots. Good aggressive shot selection down the stretch. Too many years has this team settled for jumpers, nice to see.

I was really impressed with the Celtics offensive sets under Brad Stevens. Lots of off-ball movement. Roster is a mess, but I think Stevens is a great hire.

Olynyk looks legit. Great high low passing and fantastic in transition. There will be growing pains, but I liked what I saw (although not as much as the Beantown announcers loved him).
                        Gay got his sh!t together after the 1st quarter.

Hopefully it is all about getting the rust off.

He was night and day from scrimmage/first quarter to the rest of the game.

Hopefully it continues - whether he stays or is traded.

Comment

• Once Gay starts playing Games that actually matter he will be his usual legit self.

Comment

• Matt52 wrote: View Post
                            DD - like most players - is a player who thrives against inferior competition. He'd get that off the bench.

Why would he become a shot creator? Can't sets be run for him as they are in the starting lineup? Remember that Rip Hamilton-like mid range game? What about post ups versus smaller guys? What about the fact he'd still get his 34+ minutes off the bench like JR Smith does?

What I am actually doing is talking about a way to make him a net positive on the game. As has been debated time and time again, he is not a great scorer, he is average at best, he is below average rebounding and assisting others. The only thing he really does is score. Why not put him on a lethargic second unit against inferior competition that might lead to him being a net positive in areas other than scoring.

Just throwing it out there. I'll mark you down as "nay".
                            The thing is, he doesn't even have to come off the bench for this to work. For ego reasons, he can start, but just have him sub off first and come back in to play primarily with the bench for most of the game, until crunch time. He can be the guy that keeps those 2nd and 3rd Q runs against our bench from happening.
                            twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

• First of all, I hate preseason games. I hated them as a coach (lower level of course) and I hate them as a fan. I am afraid that we can not tell all that much about our team from preseason game. Especially not against the Celtics who have so many new players, not to mention the coach.

There was a huge difference between our first unit and our second unit. If our rotation was cut to 8 or 9 players, we would have had much better idea about where we are as a team.

Comment

• The Celtics have a long history of biased, homer commentary. The late great Johnny Most:

Comment

Working...
                                X