Raptors rumours in the dog days of summer - David West

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
    It is tough for us as fans to really know what is going on.

It was only at the end of this year you started reading comments about Sanders off court issues with booze and drugs.

You have to remember these guys are $30+million investments. If they don't pan out or return to form.....
    Well if Hibbert is a drug addict, trade him. But that assumption would be just that, a random assumption right now. Until we know otherwise, Hibbert is a frustratingly inconsistent and emotionally fragile player, he's been so for years. But with the bad stretches come a lot of good stretches. He's still a two time all star and one of the best defensive pivots. You don't dump someone like that because of 4 or 5 bad months where the whole team fell apart. Are they all drug addicts? If this recent stretch is drug addiction or something like that, it's a different discussion. But I don't think we can suggest that they should dump him for nothing based on some speculation.

Comment

Fully wrote: View Post
      I know this is a completely hypothetical situation we're debating, but isn't a big part of the "asset accumulation model" that you're constantly building up the value of your existing players/assets for the chance to turn them into something greater? Swapping Patterson + salary filler for West jumps out to me as a perfect example of that.

You could make the argument that PP was a throw in to the Rudy Gay deal, and now a year later you (hypothetically) have the chance to turn him into David West (who is probably a tad overpaid at this point but not egregiously, nor does his contract conflict with our long term plan that should culminate in 2016). There seems to be a lot of people advocating for 2Pat to take Amir's starting spot this year - but turning him into a legit starting PF in West and allowing Amir to come in off the bench seems like a move that would raise the Raptors ceiling considerably for the next two years.

The East is relatively wide open this season, assuming that the Cavs will take some time to mesh completely and Derrick Rose and the Bulls will need a season or more to acclimate themselves to one another again. You probably won't be able to say that for very many seasons beyond this one. It may not be the worst time to roll the dice, especially when you're really only giving up one true asset, and not a particularly great one at that.
      That's very well put. I agree, a trade like this could easily be selling Patterson high when we look at it in hindsight in a few years. Patterson is at his highest value right now, coming off a career year, on a decent enough contract, he still has the 'potential' factor. But he's been a pretty injury prone player in his career, and I wouldn't bet on his value going up. I think there's a chance that he improves, but there's also a good chance that he keeps missing 10-20 games each year.

In my view, David West is better than the Raptors' bigs last year. Moreover, I think it's not just a matter of individual play and fit. There are also intangibles. Playoff experience, vocal leadership, balls, physicality. I think West would be the toughest good player the Raptors had since Antonio Davis. That can help the team in ways beyond individual contribution.

And yes, I agree, the East looks wide open. The Cavs are likely to have growing pains, the Bulls (and to a lesser degree the Cavs) are injury prone. I think the Raptors have a shot, and West puts them closer.

There are concerns of course, he's older, he can decline. But frankly I have similar concerns about Lowry, Patterson, Amir, they all had a tendency to get banged up in the past. This team could take a step back, trade or no trade. But overall it would look more solid with David West to me.

My main concern is salary. I want this team to go after Millsap this summer, or maybe someone else will be available. That's the main reason why my first instinct is to say 'no' to this trade. But it's not unthinkable that the Raptors could get West and still clear enough cap space for one of these guys by moving a few small contracts. So I could definitely get excited about this trade if it happened.
      Last edited by BobLoblaw; Wed Aug 13, 2014, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Why go after West when we can sign Millsap next off-season? Indiana getting that solid PF is what put them in contention, signing Millsap is what could bring us to another level, he's also younger than West.

Comment

Would there be a way to get aldridge

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
            If Portland sucks next season and Raptors sign him as a free agent in 2015.

Comment

charlesnba23 wrote: View Post
              He's not leaving. He said the only reason he hasn't signed an extension is so he could get a 5 year deal next summer, and that he wants to be "the best Blazer ever."

Comment

this just in raptors trade chuck hayes, landry field, tyler hansbrough for blake griffin

Comment

Niagara Raptor wrote: View Post
                  this just in raptors trade chuck hayes, landry field, tyler hansbrough for blake griffin
                  Meh.

I'd rather roll with Amir and PP.

Griffin also eats in to 2015 salary cap space.

Comment

mcHAPPY wrote: View Post
                    Meh.

I'd rather roll with Amir and PP.

Griffin also eats in to 2015 salary cap space.
                    You're joking right? lol Griffin starts at 4, PPat and Amir are the first bigs off the bench! This will obviously never happen but don't act like it wouldn't be the shit
                    You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

Mr.Z wrote: View Post
                      You're joking right? lol Griffin starts at 4, PPat and Amir are the first bigs off the bench! This will obviously never happen but don't act like it wouldn't be the shit
                      Yes, he's obviously joking.
                      twitter.com/dhackett1565

Comment

Sam17 wrote: View Post
                        He's not leaving. He said the only reason he hasn't signed an extension is so he could get a 5 year deal next summer, and that he wants to be "the best Blazer ever."
                        Hah good luck to him with that.

Comment

Working...
                        X