RealGM reporting Cavs acquire Deng for Bynum/1st rounder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RealGM reporting Cavs acquire Deng for Bynum/1st rounder

Title says it all. Waiting for a more legit source to confirm it.

*Sorry, forgot to paste link.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...rst-Round-Pick

*It's also on the Cavs website frontpage. Seems legit. Waiting to see if details are accurate. So far it says Bynum and 3 future draft choices were sent to Chicago.

http://www.nba.com/cavaliers/news/deng-trade-140107

In exchange for Deng, the Cavs send Chicago Bynum, Cleveland’s right to the Sacramento King’s first round draft pick conveyed in a June 30, 2011 deal, the right for Chicago to swap its own 2015 first round draft pick with the Cavs own 2015 first round draft pick (only in the case that the Cleveland 2015 first round draft pick is between 15 and 30) and the Portland Trail Blazer’s 2015 and 2016 second round draft picks acquired from the Trail Blazers via 2013 draft night trade.
    Last edited by white men can't jump; Tue Jan 7, 2014, 02:35 AM.

Bulls about to pull some David Robinson type ish.

No joke this could actually happen:

- Wiggins in the draft
    - Rose comes back
    - Amnesty Boozer
    - Sign Melo

Rose/Butler/Wiggz/Melo/Noah

Good night.

Comment

I just saw the news. WTF are the Cavs thinking? Are they that desperate to get rid of Bynum? 3 future picks from a shitty Cavs team for an inconsistent injury prone Deng? Damn. Good job Bulls. Way to rip off the Cavs. I seriously doubt Deng will resign. Though I have to say, it will be interesting to see how Rose and Thib respond to this. This means that they will be rebuilding a little and Rose has stated his issues with rebuilding. Deng is also one of Thib's favorites.

Comment

Masai Ujiri wrote: View Post

- Wiggins in the draft
        - Rose comes back
        - Amnesty Boozer
        - Sign Melo

Good night.
        Please read the thing before posting. No 2014 draft picks were traded...

Comment

Blacklash2k4 wrote: View Post
          Please read the thing before posting. No 2014 draft picks were traded...
          Umm...actually they were, at least theoretically. Chicago got the Sacramento 2014 or beyond pick. It is top 12 protected this year, which at this point makes it look unlikely it gets traded this season (so you're probably right in terms of end result), but still not a bad pick to get. Top 12 protected this year, then top 10 protected til 2017. Could end up being a late lottery pick

*also the guy's post made no reference to them acquiring such a pick. He was clearly implying that Chicago is probably tanking and hoping their own pick ends up high this year, with Rose out and now Deng traded.

Comment

Masai Ujiri wrote: View Post

- Wiggins in the draft
            - Rose comes back
            - Amnesty Boozer
            - Sign Melo

Good night.
            Dont forget Mirotic. The future is bright.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
              Umm...actually they were, at least theoretically. Chicago got the Sacramento 2014 or beyond pick. It is top 12 protected this year, which at this point makes it look unlikely it gets traded this season (so you're probably right in terms of end result), but still not a bad pick to get. Top 12 protected this year, then top 10 protected til 2017. Could end up being a late lottery pick

*also the guy's post made no reference to them acquiring such a pick. He was clearly implying that Chicago is probably tanking and hoping their own pick ends up high this year, with Rose out and now Deng traded.
              This is still a stupid trade by the Cavs. This trade is more of a trade a playoff team would do to try to make themselves more competitive in the conference to hopefully win a series. But the Cavs are no where near being a playoff team being 11-23. This trade just reeks of mediocrity. Someone is desperately trying to save his job...

Comment

This is still a stupid trade by the Cavs. This trade is more of a trade a playoff team would do to try to make themselves more competitive in the conference to hopefully win a series. But the Cavs are no where near being a playoff team being 11-23. This trade just reeks of mediocrity. Someone is desperately trying to save his job...
                Oh absolutely. Just an awful move by the Cavs. Might be good if Deng wasn't just a rental and had a couple of years under contract after this one. But I fully agree with your last sentence.

Comment

Oh absolutely. Just an awful move by the Cavs.
                  It's hilarious that on the Cavs realgm forums, they think Deng is an All-star SF lol

Comment

It's hilarious that on the Cavs realgm forums, they think Deng is an All-star SF lol
                    Well he is in the sense that he's made all-star games, but he's more of a fringe all-star. And he's a very talented player and I like him a lot. But given his contract...it's a lot of assets to give up for him. A first rounder, 2 2nd rounders, and the potential swap next year as well.

I mean, he's not a bad fit on that young team from a purely basketball perspective. They needed a legit SF, a guy who thrives in a secondary role since they already have Kyrie, and a guy who can be a veteran presence with playoff experience. Still though...renting a guy and gifting draft assets to a division rival...weak move.

Comment

The only positive I really see for Cleveland is they get his bird rights....but they better play great with him there, otherwise bird rights or not I have a hard time seeing him considering re-signing.

Comment

Well he is in the sense that he's made all-star games, but he's more of a fringe all-star. And he's a very talented player and I like him a lot. But given his contract...it's a lot of assets to give up for him. A first rounder, 2 2nd rounders, and the potential swap next year as well.

I mean, he's not a bad fit on that young team from a purely basketball perspective. They needed a legit SF, a guy who thrives in a secondary role since they already have Kyrie, and a guy who can be a veteran presence with playoff experience. Still though...renting a guy and gifting draft assets to a division rival...weak move.
                        I think the key thing is that he WAS a two time all-star. He has struggled this season and hasn't shown any signs of being even considered for all-star. This is actually kinda reminiscing of the Gay trade in the sense that we (a non-playoff team) trading for a fringe all-star that won't have that much of a long term impact for the team. Obviously this is vey different but just in that sense, it's similar. I doubt Deng will make them that much better. Would be interesting to see how Deng does without an amazing coach like Thibs...

Comment

Why would the Cavs trade away all those picks for Deng when hes not going to be an allstar again and hes most likely going to not resign in the summer
                          "Both teams played hard my man" - Sheed

Comment

I think the key thing is that he WAS a two time all-star. He has struggled this season and hasn't shown any signs of being even considered for all-star. This is actually kinda reminiscing of the Gay trade in the sense that we (a non-playoff team) trading for a fringe all-star that won't have that much of a long term impact for the team. Obviously this is vey different but just in that sense, it's similar. I doubt Deng will make them that much better. Would be interesting to see how Deng does without an amazing coach like Thibs...
                            He was an all-star, and could maybe be again (unlikely, but who knows?), but he was one largely because he was the 2nd/3rd best player on good teams (and, well, in the "Leastern" conference). He's a guy who has thrived as a secondary option when he gets to knock down open shots and slash. He also rebounds well, plays good D and is a solid ball-mover. Hard to tell if he's declining, but his nagging injury history is not going to help there.

He also played just fine before the Bulls got Thibs, including being part of playoff teams earlier in his career. But he's still a complementary piece.

Comment

4hunnit_degreez wrote: View Post
                              Why would the Cavs trade away all those picks for Deng when hes not going to be an allstar again and hes most likely going to not resign in the summer
                              It's hilarious really....

On one side...what good are draft picks when you keep screwing up in the draft?

On the other...this is a "job-saving" move that likely won't save the guy's job, and just screw his successor, who could turn out to be a good drafter...

Comment

Working...
                              X