Can the new look LAKERS beat the HEAT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
    Do you think Miami can go small against Lakers? What do you think their starting 5 would be?

Bosh
    Lewis
    Lebron
    Wade
    Chalmers

Allen & Battier first off the bench

or maybe

Bosh
    Lebron
    Battier
    Wade
    Chalmers

w/ Allen and Lewis first off the bench.

When push comes to shove (the 4th quarter of any finals game), will Miami have anyone other than Bosh playing center?

When comparing teams I always like to match up position to position and see who I think is better at that match up. If we take the first line up I put up (feel free to call me on it, if you think they are likely to run with a different starting 5) then here's the match up (the player I think wins the match up in brackets)

Dwight vs. Bosh (Dwight)
    Gasol vs. Lewis (Gasol)
    Metta vs. Lebron (Lebron)
    Kobe vs. Wade (push)
    Nash vs. Chalmers (Nash)

figure I'll do with the other line up as well

Dwight vs. Bosh (Dwight)
    Gasol vs. Lebron (Lebron)
    Metta vs. Battier (push?)
    Kobe vs. Wade (push)
    Nash vs. Chalmers (Nash)

anyway not sure if this is useful at all (pretty sure it isn't). I think you have to different styles of play and the team that wins is going to be the team that is able to impose their will on the game. Match ups like these are the reason they have to play the game.

I only wish that there was more competition in the East. The west has 3 legit teams LAL SAS OKC, with a couple of other teams that could get to the conference finals with a bit of luck LAC MEM.

Without a season ending injury to Lebron, can you imagine anyone in the East beating Miami in a 7 game series? They've beat the Celtics the last two years, and I don't think Boston is better this year (although having bradley back could be a difference maker). Orlando lost dwight, Chicago may not have rose at all, or if they do he'll be coming off a serious injury. Atlanta didn't get better. Does anyone think that the Pacers could squeek out 4 games in a seven game series? Did I leave anyone else out? NY/Brooklyn?

Maybe I shouldn't post in this thread because I always seem to go off on tangents, but it seems like you could move miami to the western conference and have a two tiered league, like an "A" league (Western Conference) and a "B" League (Eastern Conference). The West has been better than the East for soooo long, that I'm starting to wonder if there's some kind of advantage in playing in the western conference, like maybe you play better at 4pm than you would at 7pm, or you play better at 7pm than you would at 10pm?

anyway tangent over.
    I think if we are going to see who wins the games(s) between Miami and LA, it will not be sorely based on individual match-ups. Miami's system is relied on their inside to outside ball movement offensively, and their smart defensive system.
    While LA runs the high post for Pau or Kobe, and defensively rely on their big men.

In a game between Miami and LA, I would expect multiple cross-matching and defensive coverages on different players, positions etc. Individual match-up like Dwight vs. Bosh (Small ball lineup used in the Finals), would not result the final score of the game, it could be an impact, but like I said, a game with these two teams will require a variety of defensive coverages and schemes to guard one another.

Miami's small ball vs. LA's paint presence. We saw something similar in the Finals last season, with Miami going up against OKC, and many watching the finals were proven wrong (I myself being an OKC rooter.) A lot of cross matching on LeBron. Using Harden, Thabo, Durant. Doubling the post, doubling the perimeter, but LeBron was so good and so strong, he was able to find others whether it was inside or outside. You cannot guard Miami one-on-one, but neither can you LA.

(EDIT) :

Chalmers, Wade, LeBron, Lewis, Bosh - Wade, Allen, LeBron, Battier, Bosh - Chalmers, Wade, LeBron, Battier, Bosh. Multiple lineups, and if needed, Battier and Lewis can be substituted for Joel Anthony if needed to bang on the inside. Miami has a variety of lineups they can throw at any team.

Nash, Bryant, World Peace, Gasol, Howard will be he consensus lineup. It isn't awfully athletic like OKC or Miami, but it matches up in the paint, with a Spurs or OKC team. Just better than both.

IMO, whether Miami was gonna play SAS or OKC, LeBron would've gotten his first ring either way.
    Last edited by ReubenJRD; Fri Aug 17, 2012, 05:07 PM.
    Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

RaptorReuben wrote: View Post
      I think if we are going to see who wins the games(s) between Miami and LA, it will not be sorely based on individual match-ups. Miami's system is relied on their inside to outside ball movement offensively, and their smart defensive system.
      While LA runs the high post for Pau or Kobe, and defensively rely on their big men.

In a game between Miami and LA, I would expect multiple cross-matching and defensive coverages on different players, positions etc. Individual match-up like Dwight vs. Bosh (Small ball lineup used in the Finals), would not result the final score of the game, it could be an impact, but like I said, a game with these two teams will require a variety of defensive coverages and schemes to guard one another.
      Good points, and I'll be the first to admit that my positional comparisons are pretty useless.
      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

ezz_bee wrote: View Post
        Good points, and I'll be the first to admit that my positional comparisons are pretty useless.
        No, no. Positional comparisons are always useful. Gives you an observation of where guys will be matching/playing up in the game, defensive/offensive match-ups are different and change throughout the duration of the game.

For many teams, the 4 and 5 are barely different, but in some systems such as our own, 4 and the 5 could largely depend on who is playing there, not so much who is guarding it.
        Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

Working...
        X