When could we 'contend' for Mr. Nash?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michel G wrote: View Post
    And it's not just his offense. This is from Hollinger's profile of Batum: "The big mystery with Batum is why he's had so much trouble converting tremendous defensive talent into decent defensive performance. His defensive stats last season [2010-11] were horrible -- Synergy rated him the second-worst small forward, and the Blazers gave up 4.19 points per 100 possessions more with Batum on the court."

His performance this year is a bit better. However, according to 82games.com, he's still the only player among those playing at least 50% of the time who is a negative in the On Court/Off Court stat. http://www.82games.com/1112/1112POR.HTM

At $6-7 million, he would be a good pickup, but at $10m, he's not (like Matt said).
    The "little" problem we have is that Portland will probably match close to twice that. What one is really doing with Batum is paying for the level he is yet to achieve. It's when the big boys do their job evaluating the player's bb skills, his maturity and how he would fit in on the new team....and then pull the trigger if they must. Portland seems to be making all the right noises about matching whatever...we should at least try and call their bluff with a front loaded deal to at least make them think hard. This would have to be in the 12 range for the first 2 yrs to have any effect.

Comment

i think im one of the few people on here thats for signing nash and keeping calderon to back him up. i still think that we gotta get some vets in here to balance all the youth we ahve and are going to add. again this is all based on where/who we draft.

If we draft a SF(mkg, barnes, etc),id look to resign bayless to a short and friendly extension, and play him behind demar at the 2. playing him and calderon together last year wasnt so bad, we actually closed out a few games with them on together. he could also spell nash or calderon at pg if needed, but im sure everyone here is weary of bayless holding the ball for too long.

if you choose free agent route:
      jamal crawford, barbosa (nash's good buddy!), nick young, deshawn stevenson, and ray allen, although hes prolly out of our price range

if we draft a SG, but if we need to look to free agency or trades i'd consider:
      josh smith, gerald wallace, and nic batum all would be nice but are all prolly out of reach

i would be intrigued by adding lamar odom to the fold, obviously not at his last price.

potential lineups:

nash/caleron
      derozan/crawford
      mkg/jj/kleiza
      bargnani/davis
      johnson/valanciunas/gray

i like:

nash/calderon
      derozan/beal
      odom/jj/kleiza
      bargnani/davis
      johnson/valanciunas/gray

im kinda just messing around with what looks fair and realistic. but either way, we gota get some vets in that can work with nash and a very young team.

Comment

Whether it be Nash or Jose, the Raptors would still have to find the successor at the PG spot since I do not foresee either one being a capable starting point guard in around 3 years time.

It's either or for me, really. But not both.

Has anyone else wondered why Jose was played far more this year than a younger Bayless (who happens to be in his contract year and has showed big numbers when given minutes) in a year when we are "building"?

My theory is to drive down his value so they could resign him at a fair price then unleash him next year.
        “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

torch19 wrote: View Post
          Has anyone else wondered why Jose was played far more this year than a younger Bayless
          Because Calderon is way better?

Comment

But if your purpose is to develop young players as outlined at the start of the season, whether it means losing games (which they still did), then I don't see the point of letting Jose play 35+ mins.

I get that he is better, but when Jose went out and JB played as a starter, he was pretty good himself.
            “I don’t create controversies. They’re there long before I open my mouth. I just bring them to your attention.”

-- Charles Barkley

Comment

jpisadummy wrote: View Post
              i think im one of the few people on here thats for signing nash and keeping calderon to back him up. i still think that we gotta get some vets in here to balance all the youth we ahve and are going to add. again this is all based on where/who we draft.
              I really like the idea ... plus, they'd both be injury protection for each other - so we'd never suffer a huge falloff in talent.
              -The issue is, having $20M this year devoted to PG's means you better find an upgrade at the SF for pretty cheap.
              The only way to bag a classy lady is to give her two tickets to the gun show... and see if she likes the goods.

Comment

But if your purpose is to develop young players as outlined at the start of the season, whether it means losing games (which they still did), then I don't see the point of letting Jose play 35+ mins.

I get that he is better, but when Jose went out and JB played as a starter, he was pretty good himself.
                Because Jose was one of the players on the team that the coaches trusted (there weren't that many of them). Sometimes, it just comes down to that. Anyway, Jose might be around longer than people might think.

Comment

So now people want over $20 million invested into the PG spot. That's 35% of the salary cap on two guys who play the same position. Let's think about that.

Comment

Agreed.

Developing youth was indeed the goal, but what the Raptors brass neglected to tell us was that not all youth are created equal. DeRozan is really the only player (between himself, Bayless, and Davis) who Colangelo sees as part of the "core". He got minutes combined with a long leash, while the others did not. After all, Casey was trying to win as many games as possible.

Comment

DeRozan was a high lottery pick. He has a perceived upside that's higher than the other guys you mentioned and he had no other key core piece competing with him for minutes. He also works extremely hard. That's why he got the opportunities he got.

Status + upside + hard work = PT

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                        So now people want over $20 million invested into the PG spot. That's 35% of the salary cap on two guys who play the same position. Let's think about that.
                        Yeah, but there would be time that we could have both of them on the floor...

Hahahahahahahahahahah...sorry I tried to write that with a straight face.

Comment

Gman wrote: View Post
                          Yeah, but there would be time that we could have both of them on the floor...

Hahahahahahahahahahah...sorry I tried to write that with a straight face.
                          Just to play devil's advocate, it's possible both could be on the roster together (with the intention of trading Calderon before the deadline).

But having both Nash and Calderon makes little sense from a basketball/future-outlook perspective.

Comment

If Nash is coming I think Calderon doesn't last past July. Such a change might guarantee Bayless comes back though.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                              Just to play devil's advocate, it's possible both could be on the roster together (with the intention of trading Calderon before the deadline).

But having both Nash and Calderon makes little sense from a basketball/future-outlook perspective.
                              I was indicating having both of them on the floor at the same time. Which would create the worst defence a back court has ever seen since there was an affirmative action game between the Harlem Globetrotters and the CNIB.

Comment

Whether it be Nash or Jose, the Raptors would still have to find the successor at the PG spot since I do not foresee either one being a capable starting point guard in around 3 years time.

It's either or for me, really. But not both.

Has anyone else wondered why Jose was played far more this year than a younger Bayless (who happens to be in his contract year and has showed big numbers when given minutes) in a year when we are "building"?

My theory is to drive down his value so they could resign him at a fair price then unleash him next year.
                                calderon is a better PG thats why he gets the majority of the minutes... besides Bayless was injured quite a bit this year aswell.

Comment

Working...
                                X