Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC and development of young players: bad players, bad coach or something more?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So how many posters thought Dwayne Casey was an idiot incarnate in the previous two years and vocalized as much as is happening this year. Seriously, does one get to ascend to head coach in the NBA because he had as consistent a record of blatant game/team management errors that many of us erstwhile armchair gms and coaches can obviously detect even from our tv screens? And here is the kicker...yet he continues to enjoy the full credit and confidence (to borrow a phrase) of the chief poobah, Masai.

Why is this so?

Comment

Found this at Rotoworld:
      I don’t know what these folks are expecting of a big man that hasn’t been given consistent late-game experience and has little chance of switching successfully onto a guy like Walker. It wasn’t the best challenge in the world, but you can get a sense for what JV is up against in Toronto. Enough people around the team are supportive of Casey's nitpicky approach to Valanciunas in a chicken-and-egg arrangement in which JV needs playing time to improve, but isn’t being given time because Casey is in full-on win-now mode and doesn’t believe developing Valanciunas will help.
      Source
      Not only does this make me hate Casey even more, but it makes me question, like Bendit above, where this constant slack Casey is getting is coming from.

Comment

joey_hesketh wrote: View Post
        Found this at Rotoworld:

Not only does this make me hate Casey even more, but it makes me question, like Bendit above, where this constant slack Casey is getting is coming from.
        My guess is they recognize if he plays more, Raps win more.

Winning is frowned upon this year.

Comment

p00ka wrote: View Post
          I'm not sure that's true. From what I hear/read, every time Jonas is asked about his playing time issues, he always refers strongly to his need to be better, and doesn't come close to implying there's an issue with Casey. As far as the frustrated body language we're seeing often, I'd like to think JV isn't a "it's all about me" player when it comes to playing time, and that the frustration we're seeing, and interpreting differently, is him being frustrated with himself not executing what he's being taught to do. In short, I think the kid's being hard on himself, not his coach, and that's a good thing.
          Why'll I would agree with this in many instances, there is still the case of his body language after fighting for position and not getting fed the ball (while in the exact same position where he is fed the ball early in the game). It's very discouraging to see, and doesn't look to me like a guy mad at himself for not getting deeper. He's fighting his tail off for position every possession.

And in regards to his own comments, it would be very bad form for a young player to blame the coach for his problems; however, if he says he needs to get better, Casey needs to realize that that won't happen without the minutes.
          Last edited by Joey; Thu Dec 19, 2013, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
            My guess is they recognize if he plays more, Raps win more.

Winning is frowned upon this year.

Ya ... Stupid Stealth Tank ... so hard to see ... and yet its right in front of us.

Comment

Found this at Rotoworld:

To his credit JV has said nothing publicly.

Comment

Why'll I would agree with this in many instances, there is still the case of his body language after fighting for position and not getting fed the ball (while in the exact same position where he is fed the ball early in the game). It's very discouraging to see, and doesn't look to me like a guy mad at himself for not getting deeper. He's fighting his tail off for position every possession.

And in regards to his own comments, it would be very bad form for a young player to blame the coach for his problems; however, if he says he needs to get better, Casey needs to realize that that won't happen without the minutes.
                He needs to keep fighting for position every position. The lack of touches as the game goes on is likely coaching strategy.

Comment

psrs1 wrote: View Post
                  He needs to keep fighting for position every position. The lack of touches as the game goes on is likely coaching strategy.
                  'Every possession '

Comment

As a young player learning the position, fighting for and being in good position is a talent/strength in itself. Though frustrating hope JV can understand this...his time will come when his mates see his consistency and his position becomes a large part of the offense. Right now there is too much going on with the team.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                      As a young player learning the position, fighting for and being in good position is a talent/strength in itself. Though frustrating hope JV can understand this...his time will come when his mates see his consistency and his position becomes a large part of the offense. Right now there is too much going on with the team.
                      What about his defense?

Comment

peanutwoozle wrote: View Post
                        What about his defense?
                        Since he gained to much weight and not enough actual muscle this summer his lateral quicks and leaps haven't been up to par so he is having trouble with the quicker guys...

However, he has done a pretty good job of trying to be a rim protector and without fouling every play....I see massive strides in this area compared to last. Just needs to improve his body to allow him to guard face up bigs and PnR situations

Comment

Stahmenah_Vybz wrote: View Post
                          Look at Portland, they are killing it right not and they don't have superstars. Lilliard, who everyone was questioning Portland about taking so high is the quickly becoming one of the best point guard in the league. I doubt if he was drafter by the Raps he would get all the playing time he has been and certainly not have won Rookie Of The Year.
                          First I would like to say what up to everyone long time reader, first time poster (tank photo to come ASAP).

Second I would like to address the above quoute before getting into the heart my rebuttal to the overall point of the thread. How does Portland not have a superstar? Lilliard is better than any player on the raptors and still has upside. In 5 years he could be the best PG in the league and no one would be surprised by it. Lilliard isn't even the best player on Ripcity, Aldridge is getting serious MVP consideration. I think the clearly have some star power.

Finally. The idea that talent is wasted in Toronto because we can't develop our players is valid but a bit of a stretch. Even if this was the case in the past due to coaching/management philosophy, we have clearly moved on as an organization. Could these Raptors make the playoffs, develop together, get some experience and be a solid team? I think so. Would I watch the games and be excited for the playoffs? Of course! But does our team currently have in place enough short term and potential long term talent to win game 7's in the playoffs? No we don't.

PS I also feel that the concept that "clearly Raptors fans want to tank because everyone on the Raptors Republic forum wants to tank" is skewed. If you are a big enough fan of the team to be posting on a team forum you probably have a lot invested in the team and the sport of basketball. Hardcore fans understand how being bad is needed to be good, I think the average fan (which make up a large majority of the teams following) would rather be okay and make the playoffs.

Cheers!

Comment

TheMarfin wrote: View Post
                            First I would like to say what up to everyone long time reader, first time poster (tank photo to come ASAP).

Second I would like to address the above quoute before getting into the heart my rebuttal to the overall point of the thread. How does Portland not have a superstar? Lilliard is better than any player on the raptors and still has upside. In 5 years he could be the best PG in the league and no one would be surprised by it. Lilliard isn't even the best player on Ripcity, Aldridge is getting serious MVP consideration. I think the clearly have some star power.

Finally. The idea that talent is wasted in Toronto because we can't develop our players is valid but a bit of a stretch. Even if this was the case in the past due to coaching/management philosophy, we have clearly moved on as an organization. Could these Raptors make the playoffs, develop together, get some experience and be a solid team? I think so. Would I watch the games and be excited for the playoffs? Of course! But does our team currently have in place enough short term and potential long term talent to win game 7's in the playoffs? No we don't.

PS I also feel that the concept that "clearly Raptors fans want to tank because everyone on the Raptors Republic forum wants to tank" is skewed. If you are a big enough fan of the team to be posting on a team forum you probably have a lot invested in the team and the sport of basketball. Hardcore fans understand how being bad is needed to be good, I think the average fan (which make up a large majority of the teams following) would rather be okay and make the playoffs.

Cheers!
                            Nice first post!

Comment

I'm sure JV doesn't take it personally and realizes Dwane is just a retard.
                              You come at the King, you best not miss.

Comment

It's a tough call, while it does seem that JV is showing more frustration this year versus last year, it is difficult to parse where he is directing that frustration. How much is directed at teammates, coach(es), himself, or just unspecified frustration at the universe?

This also isn't something I'm worried about. JV will earn Casey's respect, and/or Casey won't be back next year. I do feel that if there is any damage to JV's development due to Casey's system/minutes will be remedied pretty quickly with a new coach. At least I'm not worried that Casey will "ruin" JV as a player.
                                "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

Working...
                                X