2012 Draft Thursday, June 28th: Raptors select Terence Ross

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim W. wrote: View Post
    If you want to win a Championship, the only realistic models involve getting a franchise player.
    I know Tim. I wasn't sayin otherwise!
    Eh follow my TWITTER!

Comment

If you want to win a Championship, the only realistic models involve getting a franchise player.
      I disagree, the pistons showed how you can win as a team
      The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

• enlightenment wrote: View Post
        I disagree, the pistons showed how you can win as a team
        The Pistons showed that in a season in flux, where one contender has injuries and another is imploding due to two superstars who can't get along, that a team can sneak in and win a Championship. I'm not saying the Pistons weren't an excellent team, but they were one of the worst Championship teams in the last 30 years and were pretty much a fluke. They're the only NBA Champion that did not have a player who had even one appearance on an All-NBA team. It's like pointing to the baby who was dropped from the Capilano bridge, some years back, as proof that you can drop your baby from that height.

Is it POSSIBLE to build a Championship team without a superstar? Sure. Is it far, far, far, far more likely to build one with a superstar? Damn right. And in fact the odds of drafting a superstar are actually better than winning a Championship without one.
        Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
        Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

The Pistons showed that in a season in flux, where one contender has injuries and another is imploding due to two superstars who can't get along, that a team can sneak in and win a Championship. I'm not saying the Pistons weren't an excellent team, but they were one of the worst Championship teams in the last 30 years and were pretty much a fluke. They're the only NBA Champion that did not have a player who had even one appearance on an All-NBA team. It's like pointing to the baby who was dropped from the Capilano bridge, some years back, as proof that you can drop your baby from that height.
          How can you call them a fluke. They made the conference final for six consecutive seasons from 2002/3 untill 2007/8. How can you compare that with extreme luck (as you did with the comparison with the dropping baby). It's not like they were first or second round losers all the time and won the championship one time. They were consistently amongst the contenders for the Wallace years. Even two years after winning the finals they had a season of 64 wins (and 4 allstars I think).

Comment

• Soft Euro wrote: View Post
            How can you call them a fluke. They made the conference final for six consecutive seasons from 2002/3 untill 2007/8. How can you compare that with extreme luck (as you did with the comparison with the dropping baby). It's not like they were first or second round losers all the time and won the championship one time. They were consistently amongst the contenders for the Wallace years. Even two years after winning the finals they had a season of 64 wins (and 4 allstars I think).
            They were a fluke because they weren't the best team in the league the year they won. And while I did say they were an excellent team, there's a big difference between a Conference Finals team and a Champion. Phoenix and Sacramento both made the Conference Finals multiple times, but neither played defense the way NBA Champions do.

Another reason they were a fluke is because they are the exception. You can't model yourself after the exception and expect the same results.
            Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
            Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

• 2012 Sophmores

Forgetting the fact there will a player who comes out of 'nowhere' such as Derrick Williams, here is a rundown on sophomores to watch in 2011/12 NCAA play:

The 2011-2012 NCAA season is already highly anticipated and one of the major reasons why is all of the talented freshmen who decided to stay in school for their sophomore year. It's not very often that prospects turn down a guaranteed spot in the lottery like North Carolina's Harrison Barnes and Ohio State's Jared Sullinger did. We can partially thank the lockout in the NBA for that.

However, there was more to their choice than just the possible work stoppage in the NBA. They felt like they could benefit from another year of development in college. The allure of competing for a national championship was key as well.

As mentioned in our breakdown of the top incoming freshmen, there is a chance that we see the age limit to enter the draft increased. It's highly unlikely, though, that the requirement is more than two years. So, here's a look at the premier sophomores in the country who we could be seeing the last of in the NCAA next season.

Harrison Barnes (North Carolina) - 6'8, 210 lbs. Small Forward
              During the second half of the season Barnes found himself and finally started to play like the player who was ranked as the top high schooler in the 2010 recruiting class. By then, though, Duke point guard Kyrie Irving had surpassed him as the number one prospect in the draft. Barnes stayed with the hopes of regaining that top spot and adding a national championship to his résumé.

With a year of experience under his belt and one of the best supporting casts in the country, Barnes is one of the favorites for Player of the Year honors. He's in a great position to accomplish his goals and appears to be putting in the necessary work this summer as well.

Jared Sullinger (Ohio State) - 6'9, 280 lbs. Power Forward
              A few of the teams picking high in this past draft are still disappointed with Sullinger's decision to stay in school. There's no way he would have slipped out of the top eight, in fact he may have even gone as high as three to the Utah Jazz or four to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

This summer Sullinger has been working on slimming down, increasing his range and improving his ball-handling skills. That's vital if he's going to hang with the new-age power forwards that are becoming so prevalent in the NBA. Sullinger has his work cut out for him on being better than last season after posting up 17 points and 10 rebounds a game on 54% shooting from the field.

Perry Jones (Baylor) - 6'11, 235 lbs. Small Forward/Power Forward
              The tail end of last season served as a very big reality check for Jones. With Baylor's tournament life on the line he failed to rise to the occasion like his team needed him too. He was just mediocre as they went 2-6 to finish the year, missing out on the tournament. He was just a spectator for the final game of the year due to being suspended by the NCAA for receiving impermissible benefits.

As a sophomore Jones has to take matters into his hands more and start playing winning basketball. While that partially entails being more assertive offensively, being more aggressive on the boards and defensively are just as important. With his talent there isn't an aspect of the game he shouldn't have a major impact on.

Terrence Jones (Kentucky) - 6'8, 244 lbs. Small Forward/Power Forward
              When NBA personnel told Jones at Kentucky head coach John Calipari's combine that he could potentially be a top ten pick if he returned, it was far from a guarantee and Jones shouldn't have taken it as such. In a draft class as loaded as next year's is supposed to be, it's going to be far easier for him to play his way out of the top ten than in.

As a sophomore Jones cannot afford to be as inconsistent as he was last year. He'll need to finish the year much stronger and assume the leadership role on the Wildcats.

Patric Young (Florida) - 6'9, 245 lbs. Power Forward
              When it comes to the eye test, Young passes with flying colors. He's got nice size for the power forward position, is brutally strong and a real finisher around the basket. Yet, somehow he only managed to average three point and three rebounds as a freshman. He did only play 17 minutes a night, but the expectations were for him to be much better even in limited minutes.

Young's sophomore year is all about putting together his incredible set of tools. He's shown some intriguing flashes with USA Basketball U19 team during the summer. If he can carry that over into the Gators' season, his freshman year will become nothing more than an afterthought chalked up as a development/adjustment year.

Joshua Smith (UCLA) - 6'10, 305 lbs. Power Forward/Center
              With Sullinger earning most of the headlines last year, Smith's improvements and noteworthy play really flew under the radar. He's a dominating physical presence just like Sullinger, but is not yet as effective or skilled as the Buckeye. His potential is nearly as immense, though.

Smith is on track to be a standout in '11-'12 and a future pro as long as he remains committed to his conditioning and developing his low post game. Staying out of foul trouble is also very important as he was quite plagued with it as a freshman.

C.J. Leslie (N.C. State) - 6'8, 206 lbs. Small Forward/Power Forward
              Like most freshman, consistency wasn't a strength of Leslie's. He spent time at both forward positions and looked like a dominating player at times, but then there were other times where he just blended in like someone who wouldn't ever play basketball again after receiving their degree.

With a raw offensive game, Leslie has to show more polish as a sophomore if he's going to be on his way to the league. It'll also be time to start getting comfortable at one position in particular. Right now he looks better suited to play inside due to his lack of a reliable jump shot or dribbling skills.

Kendall Marshall (North Carolina) - 6'3, 186 lbs. Point Guard
              The Tar Heels really took off last year when Marshall took over at point guard. The true playmaker gave them exactly what they needed to take their game to the next level and going into next season the position clearly belongs to him.

With so many great weapons around him, Marshall should be amongst the nation's leaders in assists. He's a pass-first guard, but when he does look to score he needs to be more efficient. That will help NBA teams accept his athletic limitations.

Jeremy Lamb (UConn) - 6'5, 185 lbs. Shooting Guard
              At the beginning of the year Lamb looked like a project who was going to provide UConn with minimal help throughout the season. At the end he was one of the hottest shooting guard prospects in the land who played an intricate role in the Huskies' run to the championship.

Lamb opted against leaving while his stock was hot, knowing that a much bigger role awaited him as a sophomore. With Kemba Walker, who is now a member of the Charlotte Bobcats, gone the Huskies are once again going to go into the season with little expectations. If Lamb helps them shock the world once more, he'll see his stock continue to climb.

Doron Lamb (Kentucky) - 6'4, 195 lbs. Shooting Guard
              Next year Lamb is going to be living every collegiate shooter's dream. He's going to be playing with two dominating big men in Jones and Anthony Davis and a stellar playmaker in Marquis Teague who will really make his life easy. He'll be the recipient of regular open looks from beyond the arc. At times it will probably almost seem like he's not being guarded at all due to all the attention his teammates are going to garner.

Lamb isn't just a three-point shooter, though, that's just his most reliable weapon right now. He's got a solid all-around offensive game and should be able to build nicely on his solid freshman campaign.

Honorable Mention: Tim Hardaway Jr. (Michigan), Doug McDermott (Creighton), Augustine Rubit (South Alabama), DeAndre Kane (Marshall), Will Barton (Memphis) and Terrell Stoglin (Maryland).

Yannis Koutroupis is a senior NCAA and NBA analyst for HOOPSWORLD. You can follow him on twitter.

Read more NBA news and insight: http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?...#ixzz1RisoztTd

Comment

I read one possibility of how they might do the draft (can't remember where) is to take the team records over the last 3 years and do it that way. The Raptors still wouldn't get the first pick, but I believe they'd be in the top 5, again.
                They could pick at 5 and as low as 7

Comment

• Draft 2012 talk

yes I know its early and alot of things could happen including the strike the would affect the overall position of the Raptors in the draft order but if we already have a thread on Perry Jones why not this?!

I still think that the goal of the draft is to select Harrison Barnes. Man can you imagine the starting line up coming 2012?

Calderon/Bayless - Derozan - Barnes - E.Davis/Bargs - JV/Amir

Comment

• Andre Drummond is the kind of athletic big that comes around every once in awhile. He likely will not go to college and go directly from prep school to the NBA. If the Raptors had a chance to draft him I hope they wouldn't pass on him.

Comment

• ummm, remember how they changed the rules so you can't pick kids out of high school anymore? Amir Johnson was the last person to be pick straight out of high school. Unless there's been a rule change I don't know about?
                      "They're going to have to rename the whole conference after us: Toronto Raptors 2014-2015 Northern Conference Champions" ~ ezzbee Dec. 2014

"I guess I got a little carried away there" ~ ezzbee Apr. 2015

"We only have one rule on this team. What is that rule? E.L.E. That's right's, E.L.E, and what does E.L.E. stand for? EVERYBODY LOVE EVERYBODY. Right there up on the wall, because this isn't just a basketball team, this is a lifestyle. ~ Jackie Moon

Comment

• ezz_bee wrote: View Post
                        ummm, remember how they changed the rules so you can't pick kids out of high school anymore? Amir Johnson was the last person to be pick straight out of high school. Unless there's been a rule change I don't know about?
                        The rule was, and is, until a new agreement that you must be 1 year removed from your graduating high school class, so if a player graduates this year and decides to play an extra year of prep school instead of one year of college they can be eligible for the draft.

That being said, the 2012 draft looks like a good one and we should have a decent pick regardless of whether there is a season or not, any pick in the top 7 should give us a legit player to continue the build with.
                        Twitter @WJ_FINDLAY

Comment

• 1st tier
                          Andre Drummond, Barnes, Miller or Gilchirist

2nd tier
                          Anthony Davis, McAdoo, M.Teague, or K.Middleton

3rd tier
                          Jeremy Lamb, Brad Beal, Myck Kabongo or T.Jones

Say No To
                          Perry Jones, Jared Sullinger, and CJ Leslie

Comment

• tenforthewin wrote: View Post
                            1st tier
                            Andre Drummond, Barnes, Miller or Gilchirist

2nd tier
                            Anthony Davis, McAdoo, M.Teague, or K.Middleton

3rd tier
                            Jeremy Lamb, Brad Beal, Myck Kabongo or T.Jones

Say No To
                            Perry Jones, Jared Sullinger, and CJ Leslie
                            Anthony Davis HAS to be included in any of the Top Tier Prospects this year.

No way I put Miller ahead of Davis.

Comment

• Are you serious, Anthony Davis looks like a tweener, I see him as a poor man's Chris Bosh. Quincy Miller on the other hand is suitable to play SF, he has all the guard skills and with his personality, he will bring a lot more excitement on and off the court.

Comment

• James McAdoo has to be top tier as well. He's got a nice post game and will be a presence on the defensive end.

And I don't even think Jeremy Lamb is going to be a lottery pick.

Comment

Working...
                                X