Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why are the Raptors trying to play uptempo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
    I agree about him playing out by the 3pt line too much on offense, rather than in the post, especially early in games (he's at his best when he starts the game off by hitting his first few shots, so they should get him some easy in-close looks). I think the main reason they're playing him out there is to spread the floor for Lowry & DeRozan to penetrate in isolation, while Fields runs around and Valanciunas is down low for rebounds. The problem for the Raptors and the reason for Bargnani being used to spread the floor so much, is because he's the only real 3pt threat in the starting unit (the defense gives DeRozan & Fields open looks because they know they can't make a 3 to save their lives). A starting SF who can hit a 3 would allow Bargnani to play more down low, while still spreading the floor for penetration.

Defensively, the entire team has been crap and they all need to man up.
    While I agree with the fundamentals of what you are saying I get the sense you are saying the team has asked him to play out in the perimetre and not post up down low. I've never know Andrea to gravitate to the post for any extended portion of a season. It could just be that I'm misinterpreting your post.

Comment

Mediumcore wrote: View Post
      While I agree with the fundamentals of what you are saying I get the sense you are saying the team has asked him to play out in the perimetre and not post up down low. I've never know Andrea to gravitate to the post for any extended portion of a season. It could just be that I'm misinterpreting your post.
      I expect that there's a combination of Casey's offensive gameplan calling for Bargnani to play outside (for the reasons I mentioned) and Bargnani just being lazy / falling in love with the outside shot. I just think he's at his best when he starts out games inside, as it lets him make a few easy shots to get his confidence up and it helps prevent him from settling for long jumpers (almost as if he, his teammates and coach all remember that he can be effective posting up). If he can get going from inside early, it also causes the opposing defense to focus more on him later on, once he does move outside, which only serves to further open up the court for penetration and slashing.

Another footnote is that the entire team is too outside shot happy, not just Bargnani.

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
        Another footnote is that the entire team is too outside shot happy, not just Bargnani.
        That has been a calling card of the team since back in the VC days. This franchise has consistently managed to have a roster full of 20 foot chuckers.
        Heir, Prince of Cambridge

If you see KeonClark in the wasteland, please share your food and water with him.

Comment

Axel wrote: View Post
          That has been a calling card of the team since back in the VC days. This franchise has consistently managed to have a roster full of 20 foot chuckers.
          Too true. It's bad enough when your shooters at chucking and just not hitting, but when the entire team decides it's time to start jacking up long range shots, that's when you get in serious trouble.

Shooting Stats

Lucas: 1 / 18 (5%)

Fields: 5 / 24 (20%)

Anderson: 11 / 36 (30%)

Bargnani: 28 / 77 (36%)

Ross: 6 / 16 (37%)

Calderon: 16 / 39 (41%)

Valanciunas: 17 / 39 (43%)

DeRozan: 31 / 68 (45%)

TOTAL TEAM: 176 / 428 (41%)

And people wonder why we have a 1-4 record and are so low in the various power rankings... the Raptors are a team that relies on shooting, while barely shooting 40%!

Comment

Working...
          X