No announcement yet.

Everything Coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If we were, I dunno, GSW, i'd fire Casey. But he's working with a still-developing roster, without championship caliber pieces yet, and he's seemed perfect. He's coaxed a career season out of Lowry. He's definitely done a good job developing Ross and JV this year, and DD has been a revelation under Casey. Patterson has gone from eh, decent trade fodder to a key cog with a bright future. In the time he's had them, KL, DD, Ross, JV, Hansbrough, GV, and 2Pat have all improved their trade value since when he got them (Although Ross and JV were expected). If you're the GM, you look at this roster as something missing that key cog, and a reasonable way to get that guy is to trade for him. So a guy who has consistently improved your team, and has improved the trade value of almost all your roster except the veteran bench guys and Amir, that's a guy you want to keep in your employ.
    @Boymusic66

Comment

TSF wrote: View Post
      If we were, I dunno, GSW, i'd fire Casey. But he's working with a still-developing roster, without championship caliber pieces yet, and he's seemed perfect. He's coaxed a career season out of Lowry. He's definitely done a good job developing Ross and JV this year, and DD has been a revelation under Casey. Patterson has gone from eh, decent trade fodder to a key cog with a bright future. In the time he's had them, KL, DD, Ross, JV, Hansbrough, GV, and 2Pat have all improved their trade value since when he got them (Although Ross and JV were expected). If you're the GM, you look at this roster as something missing that key cog, and a reasonable way to get that guy is to trade for him. So a guy who has consistently improved your team, and has improved the trade value of almost all your roster except the veteran bench guys and Amir, that's a guy you want to keep in your employ.
      This is just nitpicking, but I couldn't help it, because in what way has Hansbrough improved his trade value? To me it seems it's about the same with no significant movement either way, and I'd think if anything, it's gone slightly down.

Comment

JawsGT wrote: View Post
        Many could say the same of Casey.
        The big difference between the two is that Budenholzer looked great from the get go (this is his first season as head coach). Casey looked pretty bad for 2 years in Toronto, and 1.5 years in Minnesota. He has only looked better now with the new assistant coaches Masai got him.

Is no one else concerned that Casey played prevent defense (borrowing an NFL term) the entire 4th quarter against the Nets last game. He was trying to eat the clock while holding onto the lead, and got us completely away from what we had been doing the first 3 quarters. Every offensive possession we were purposefully dribbling the shot clock out until it was under 10, then starting the offense, which resulted in a ton of bad shots. It's boneheaded moves like that (he has so many) which make me not have faith in Casey as coach of the future.
        Last edited by Primer; Fri May 2, 2014, 01:37 PM.

Comment

white men can't jump wrote: View Post
          This is just nitpicking, but I couldn't help it, because in what way has Hansbrough improved his trade value? To me it seems it's about the same with no significant movement either way, and I'd think if anything, it's gone slightly down.
          Just the feeling I get after he got crapped on in Indiana. But even if we take out Psycho T, there's still a bunch of trade value improvement
          @Boymusic66

Comment

Primer wrote: View Post
            The big difference between the two is that Budenholzer looked great from the get go (this is his first season as head coach). Casey looked pretty bad for 2 years in Toronto, and 1.5 years in Minnesota. He has only looked better now with the new assistant coaches Masai got him.
            Well, you contribute the teams turnaround to the assistant coaches primarily, but I would attribute it to moving the bad pieces and acquiring more malleable players. Budenholzer, I would imagine, would have a difficult time getting good minutes out of Bargs, especially if he was expected to play him alot of minutes and rely on him offensively.

Comment

The Lionel Hollins comparisons are perfect except Hollins was a good coach before his lame duck year. Hollins didn't get an extension so he refused to play guys and became beligerant and erratic then got swept first round. Except for the sweep its very similar. Casey sucked before and sucks now.

Comment

raptors999 wrote: View Post
                The Lionel Hollins comparisons are perfect except Hollins was a good coach before his lame duck year. Hollins didn't get an extension so he refused to play guys and became beligerant and erratic then got swept first round. Except for the sweep its very similar. Casey sucked before and sucks now.
                Hollins made the conference finals.
                "Bruno?
                Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

Previous year. He lost it when Gay was traded and wasn't renewed.

Comment

Hollins got his team to the WCF his final season, then was not rehired. The contentious points between Hollins and management involved the trading of Rudy Gay, which Hollins strongly opposed and his open disdain for analytics, which culminated in a well publicised meltdown toward VP of Operations Hollinger in front of the team.

Nothing similar whatsoever.
                    If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• Playoff run, Not renewed, then fired.Hollins is a good coach Casey is a scrub. Interesting but both Gay and Daye were involved in Hollins dismissal.

Comment

• All head coaches are year-to-year. I would only replace Casey for a better coach -- think SVG, and maybe 5 other coaches. No sideways steps. No backwards steps. People are nitpicking a coach who only coaches to win (to the detriment of the team when they were bad). Ridiculous. No sensible GM would fire a HC who has the ear of his locker room unless it is a significant upgrade. Significant upgrade. Significant. Enough of this nonsense. Isn't there 3 threads on this already this season?

Comment

• raptors999 wrote: View Post
                          Playoff run, Not renewed, then fired.Hollins is a good coach Casey is a scrub. Interesting but both Gay and Daye were involved in Hollins dismissal.
                          I guess Masai will be next on your "List of Idiots" if/when he re-hires Casey.
                          If we knew half as much about coaching an NBA team as we think, we"d know twice as much as we do.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                            This thread started off somewhat reasonable, I'll recap the bit that makes sense before everyone went off the rails:

-people were saying DC isn't a championship coach - he's decent but no legend

-people replied with how few championship coaches there are, and how certainly, most of the proven ones aren't coming here next year

-primer said he'd rather take a shot at a championship coach, then just rehire a guy in the second tier of coaches

After that, it gets into ridiculous hypotheticals, hyperboles and straw-man arguments from the detractors.

So I believe that initial line of thought is founded in reason.

To add to that I'd remind everyone to consider the actual chance of hiring an unproven coach and watching him develop into an all time great. I'd say the odds are 20% if we're lucky.

Further, if that move doesn't work out, it's not just a wash, it's a detrimental move to our franchise and to these players. Lack of continuity is really bad. It is. Ask Marc Cuban.

So I just don't see the benefit to risking it all on an unknown commodity there, and more than likely, screwing with JV, Ross, and DD.
                            If we ever got a game-changing player — a max-contract ringer like Durant, or a star like Curry (that needs a team built around his strengths and weaknesses) — then I can see the argument for going all-in and paying top dollar for a HOF coach.

For now, having a merely above-average coach that is making the most of the personnel we have seems fine.

And shit, the season ain't even over yet! We don't actually know the absolute ceiling for the coach or the team.

Comment

• bryan colangelo wrote: View Post
                              If we ever got a game-changing player — a max-contract ringer like Durant, or a star like Curry (that needs a team built around his strengths and weaknesses) — then I can see the argument for going all-in and paying top dollar for a HOF coach.

For now, having a merely above-average coach that is making the most of the personnel we have seems fine.

And shit, the season ain't even over yet! We don't actually know the absolute ceiling for the coach or the team.
                              Or the floor, depending on how these next two/one game(s) go.
                              "Bruno?
                              Heh, if he is in the D-league still in a few years I will be surprised.
                              He's terrible."

-Superjudge, 7/23

Hope you're wrong.

Comment

• stooley wrote: View Post
                                Or the floor, depending on how these next two/one game(s) go.
                                Good point. How they lose matters.

Comment

Working...
                                X