Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wilson Chandler to Toronto? Forget about it (473)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shantz wrote: View Post
    The underrated part of this article that is not getting much attention is that the Raptors are searching for more picks while using Calderon and Barbosa. Assuming that is true then BC must not be worried about having more then two rookies on the roster if we are poking for more.
    I think he is looking for a mid-late first round pick to grab Kabongo. I still think there will be only 2 rookies next year. That leaves the Raptors pick to be traded for a very well known commodity. This is 100% total speculation on my part.

When I hear things like this in addition to "hitting the ground running next season" I think we are in for major shake ups this coming off season.

Comment

I still prefer Nico Batum by an insanely large margin. He is a better overall player than Chandler.
      “The saving of our world from pending doom will come, not through the complacent adjustment of the conforming majority, but through the creative maladjustment of a nonconforming minority.” - Martin Luther King

Comment

yertu damkule wrote: View Post
        did i hear that zach might be done for the year?

further...anyone check out the grizz record with both gay & z-bo in the lineup? it's reminiscent of the knicks record with melo & stat playing together. leads one to believe that the grizz may have to make a decision re. gay & z-bo, and my money would be on z-bo being dealt before gay.
        Totally agree with the record with both in the lineup.

I would be willing to take the other side of that bet based on a) Memphis' success with Gay out last year, and b) Gay having much more trade value.

Comment

He's only 25... Im in!!

My dream next year:

PG: Calderon, Bayless
          SG: Demar, Barbosa
          SF: Barnes, Chandler
          PF: Bargnani, Ed
          C: Valancuinas, Amir, Gray

win! (and hoping for another draft pick, mid-late first round and pick up Kabongo!)
          The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
            Does anyone know how the Chandler situation works this year? Any offer we make would have to wait until the summer, correct?

And once he's cleared of his Chinese obligations, he's clear to play out the remainder of the 2011-12 season with Denver, right?

The Raptors can make any offer as long as they have cap space available and he can suit up for the Raptors this year. They can sign him as soon as he gets his letter of clearance from CBA/FIBA as long as Denver does not match the offer. If Denver does want to sign him for the offer Toronto hypothetically offers, both teams would then have the option of exploring a sign and trade if agreeable.

Comment

pesterm1 wrote: View Post
              After reading about the raps trying to get chandler and more draft picks i started to really think about it. Seems to me were stocking tons of assets to get a big name player somehow via trade. ex. trading our 1st another draft pick plus derozan... what could that get us? thats just one of msany examples. i tihnk BC has a trick up his sleeve and it makes me very excited for the summer.
              A big plus one.

For shits and giggles (and sorry to those tired of seeing me type "G-A-Y"):

Right to flip 2012 or 2013 pick plus either 2012 pick or 2013 pick, DeMar, Amir, ED for Gay. I most definitely would.

Comment

I really love the idea of giving JJ someone like Chandler to work with.

Chandler would give this team another person who can carry the offensive load when things are not going well, a tough defensive player, someone who can stretch the floor out a bit.

You talk about 3-D players, players that can do it all, and I think Chandler is the perfect example of complete package. Yes he still has stuff to work on but he only has had 3 years to work in the nba.

I love it.

Comment

Balls of Steel wrote: View Post
                  I still prefer Nico Batum by an insanely large margin. He is a better overall player than Chandler.
                  I couldn't agree more. Batum does not have any weakness. He's quick, athletic, can shoot long and mid-range but also attack the rim, his first step is amazing, he's an 84% FT shooter, is an awesome 1 on 1 defender (which is capital at SF), has an above average basketball IQ and is barely 23. If he is in a starter position and therefore becomes consistant from game to game, then there is absolutely no limit.

Comment

http://www.hoopsworld.com/nba-chat-w...therston-13012

Stephen Brotherston's chat at HoopsWorld.com is littered with Wilson Chandler questions today.

These two grabbed my attention:

Raptor-fan
                    Wilson Chandler, JR Smith, Aaron Brooks; out of these 3 players, which one is more likely to sign with the Raptors when they come back from China in March?

Stephen Brotherston
                    Welcome to the Chat

Trade talk is going to be heating up as we get closer to the availability of the players who signed in China and players signed at the start of the season 2-6 weeks away. There are some big names that are expected to change teams.

Colangelo covets Wilson Chandler – and why not – 24-year-old 6′ 8″ SF – a proven NBA commodity. I’ve liked his game for a while now. Raptors are expected to take a hard run at him once he can leave China.

Only fly in that ointment is Denver owns his rights – but Chandler may not want to return to mile high to back up DG. The door is definitely open here. Chandler is the most likely player the Raptors go for.

Colangelo has said he is looking for a PG of the future – if the future is now – Aaron Brooks will be quietly in the Raptors sights – in Toronto, not hearing about a player target isn’t unusual – Colangelo often likes to run in stealth mode

I don't think Brotherston answered the question that was asked but I really liked his answer for the way he interpreted the question:

Faner
                    Re: Wilson Chandler.
                    In thinking about this today, the Raptors have few legit assets (Bargnani, DD, Jonas, 1st Round Pick, and to a lesser degree, Barbosa, Calderon and Ed Davis).

Meanwhile, The Nuggets have TONS and TONS of players and assets.

So my question:

Masai Ujuri or Bryan Colangelo?

Stephen Brotherston
                    Masai and Colangelo still talk – Colangelo wants Chandler – Masai will find something he wants from Toronto if Chandler makes it clear he doesn’t want to come back to Denver (because Denver has TONS of players). It’s often easier to make deals with friends.

Comment

Nilanka wrote: View Post
                      Outside of the superstar small forwards (i.e. LeBron, Durant, Melo, etc.), IMO Chandler has potential of being one of those solid two-way, 2nd-tier small forwards (like Iguodala, Wallace, Marion, Butler, Jefferson, in their primes). $7.5M is money well spent in that regard.
                      I don't see Wilson Chandler ever becoming as good as Iguodala, Wallace, Marion, and other 2nd tier small forwards, so we'll leave it at that.

I would prefer the Raptors take a chance on Nicolas Batum, a higher risk contract for a player whose ceiling may be much higher than Wilson Chandler's. Or lower if he turns out to be nothing more than a 6th to 8th man.

Comment

Hugmenot wrote: View Post
                        I don't see Wilson Chandler ever becoming as good as Iguodala, Wallace, Marion, and other 2nd tier small forwards, so we'll leave it at that.

I would prefer the Raptors take a chance on Nicolas Batum, a higher risk contract for a player whose ceiling may be much higher than Wilson Chandler's. Or lower if he turns out to be nothing more than a 6th to 8th man.
                        Like several posters in here, I also like Batum as well. I wonder though, if BC isn't doing a pre-emptive strike by going after Chandler for a potential bargain (given Denver's big investment in Gallinari and unlikliness/inability to match even a mid-range offer for Chandler) now, rather than get caught in an offseason league-wide bidding war for Batum, which will likely result in a team overpaying for him.
                        Last edited by CalgaryRapsFan; Mon Jan 30, 2012, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Wilson Chandler would be a great and cheaper fit than, to go after Batum in the off-season. Referring to the draft. I think with this move I see BryCo goin for someone like Bradly Beal to help out in the back court. With the lost of probably Calderon and Barbosa the two picks will be used to help out the guard position
                          @Chr1st1anL

Comment

While I like Batum a lot, I read not too long ago that the Raps bypassed him in the draft because he refused to take a medical test (maybe of the dna variety) as there is a history of heart issues (his dad died while playing).

That Portland team seems snake bitten isn't it? Even Aldridge is suspect in the heart area. So, this maybe an issue with BC still.

Comment

Bendit wrote: View Post
                              While I like Batum a lot, I read not too long ago that the Raps bypassed him in the draft because he refused to take a medical test (maybe of the dna variety) as there is a history of heart issues (his dad died while playing).

That Portland team seems snake bitten isn't it? Even Aldridge is suspect in the heart area. So, this maybe an issue with BC still.
                              Partly true : his dad did die while playing, and the Raps did bypass him for heart concerns, but it's not because he refused to take a test. The Raps doc said he was unadapted to pro sports, Batum went to another US cardiologist who said that was bullshit.

But the Raps doc statement made him drop big time on the draft ladder, so he might still feel a bit bitter against us, which would hurt our chances to sign him...

Anyway, I'm quite convinced he'll get traded by the deadline, cause the Blazers can't afford to have to choose between overpaying him and letting him go for nothing. So why not grabbing him in March and resign him this summer...

Comment

Batum's definitely a lot more intriguing just because he hasn't really had the consistent starter minutes that Chandler has. Everyone pretty well knows what Chandler can and cannot do at this point, which works for and against him. A part of me wants to get Batum just because his potential seems limitless, but at the same time we've already got a bunch of potential-loaded players that we're hoping will pan out (including Jonas next year). So maybe an established player is exactly what we need to help stabilize the foundation.

A contending team can't solely be built around draft picks and projects. Not all of those players are going to work out and at a certain point you have to fill some gaps with more established players (just like Chicago has). So if Chandler can be had at a reasonable price, I think you do it just to have one less question mark on the roster. I do like Batum's game though.

Comment

Working...
                                X