Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Matt52 wrote: View Post
    Source: Sun-Sentinel

The next few weeks are going to be FANtastic.
    I like this.
    "Defense wins championships."

Comment

This is HUGE news! And it completely opens the floodgates on what Colangelo can do to improve the roster now...rather than waiting another season.

Comment

I think that's a great idea on the nba's part, should really help increase parity.

On the other hand, I'm now completely terrified that BC is going to open the purse strings far too wide.

Comment

planetmars wrote: View Post
          I'd give Battier a $22-$24 million contract for 5 years. With all the qualities you mentioned - high IQ, perfect role player - he would be outstanding for the Raptors. He'd help shift the culture which is what we desparately need. Casey is a good start, but a coach in my opinion doesn't really have that much power in the NBA unless your name is Phil, Greg or Jerry (and both Jerry and Phil are out of jobs right now).

We have a lot of young talent, and no veterans other than Jose - and Jose is not really the leader our team needs. You bring in Battier, and our team will be even better a year or two from now.

If we amnesty Linas, trade Bargnani for picks and expiring contracts, trade Barbosa, and let Jose's contract expire in two years - Battier's contract won't be so bad.. he would be a mid-level player earning his keep - the same amount Jarrett Jack made yet no one seemed to care.

Also now a days a 32-year old player is still young in the NBA, especially when you see players like Allen, Nash, Garnett and Kobe still playing strong.

Your wish to have Battier play for a contender sounds great - but wouldn't it be better if that happened while he was a Raptor in say 3 or 4 years, while helping mold our team to become such a contender in the next 2 years?

There are only a few players I'd try and get my hands on, even as a rebuild is taking place.. Battier is one of those guys for me.
          Last year, there were ten players in the league who were 35 or over and who played at least 20 mpg. And only Anthony Parker, Derek Fisher and Kurt Thomas weren't former All-Stars, meaning EXTREMELY talented. Parker wouldn't have played that on a good team, Thomas only played that because of Noah's injury and there was a lot of debate whether Fisher's presence on the floor hurt the team more than it helped because he was simply too old to defend his position.

It may seem like more the norm because most of those older players are high profile, so you notice them more.

It's not that it won't be so bad in 3 or 4 years (although it very well might be if he's declined a lot) but the money you're spending on him might be better spent next summer on a younger free agent who will be productive longer or in a trade to bring in a bigger contract. By spending it on Battier, you're not using the money well because he's not going to have a big impact on the team when you need it most; when they're hopefully contending.

Now I am a huge fan of Battier and would have loved to have gotten him 5+ years ago, but not now. The amount of money it would take make him choose Toronto over one of the contenders that will be trying to get his services is not worth it. And the funny thing is that Kleiza, who you suggest amnesty-ing, will probably be more productive than Battier will in five years.
          Read my blog, The Picket Fence. Guaranteed to make you think or your money back!
          Follow me on Twitter.

Comment

I hope the Raptors can get lucky here and put a 'bid' in on a useful player under contract for a few years, dirt cheap. Marvin Williams immediately comes to mind but I'd imagine: 1) other teams would be interested in him cheap too, and 2) it would essentially end the stay of JJ or Kleiza.

This assumes he is cut of course.
            Rashard Lewis or Brandon Roy would be the best case scenarios. A highly banged up Brandon Roy at a fraction of the cost sounds like a good deal to me. Travis Outlaw would make a lot of sense.

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/sp...ref=basketball

Beck at NYTimes.com reporting few teams likely to avail of amnesty clause.

Comment

I disagree with this writer. Last round of amnesty teams didn't pull the trigger because the money still counted against the cap. Now this time around the money won't count against the cap. The amnesty clause isn't about getting rid of an obligation, it's about lessening the obligation and removing the obligation for the cap number. Teams won't have to pay a lump sum to the player. They will honor the contract as is, less any compensation the player gets should some team choose to claim him before he clears waivers. A team like the Blazers for example, who have a billionaire owner in Paul Allen, can afford to cut ties with Brandon Roy. Doing so would help revitalize their chances of getting back on track and avoiding tax penalties in the future. This is addition by subtraction.

Judging by the article Beck talked to one guy. Did this one guy survey the league?

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                  Battier is 32. How's that contract going to look in two years?
                  A good question.

What is the likelihood of a high IQ player who understands his role and does not depend on his athletism to remain effective as a 34 through 37 years old?

I would not bet against it.

Having said that, I doubt Toronto is a desirable destination for Battier at this stage of his career.

Comment

What's worse, he relies heavily on defense for his game and defense gives way earlier because of the loss of athleticism.
                    I don't think thats true at all. Older vets may not be at their peak athleticism any longer, but they make up for that in experience.

Its those guys who's entire game was based on athleticism in the first place that give way the most at an older age (whether on D or O), not the guys whose game was based on IQ.

(this is not a statement that the Raps should sign Battier)

Comment

I would because he's not working out physics problems on a chalk board. He's playing basketball and a lot of what he does is on defense. You're selling his athletic abilities short in my opinion. I think you're understating the impact that has on his game. IQ is important but he's not just getting it done with brain power.

Comment

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/28/sp...ref=basketball

Beck at NYTimes.com reporting few teams likely to avail of amnesty clause.
                        I am surprised somewhat because this provision had to be a league driven clause and hence had a healthy consensus amongst the owners/gms. That said, Brendan Haywood might not be a bad pickup if amnestied by Dallas. I assume he had a good relationship with Casey,

Comment

I think is Haywood gets amnesty'ed, in all likelihood, he would probably end up with a better team than ours - maybe a team closer to a playoff berth.

Comment

The Heat would make a lot of sense.

Comment

Third string PG: Boykins, TJ Ford???, Antonio Daniels??, Mike Wilks
                              Back up SG: Dionte Christmas, Lester Hudson, Reggie Williams (love this guy)
                              Backup SF: Ime Udoka, Shawne Williams, Aleksandar Pavlovic, (Trade James Johnson + 2nd rounder for Al Thornton)
                              Third String C: Jamal Magloire, Francisco Elson, Jarron Collins, Dwayne Jones

Comment

Apollo wrote: View Post
                                I would because he's not working out physics problems on a chalk board. He's playing basketball and a lot of what he does is on defense. You're selling his athletic abilities short in my opinion. I think you're understating the impact that has on his game. IQ is important but he's not just getting it done with brain power.
                                And you're selling his ability to adapt short in my opionion. It may be best to continue this discussion in 3 or 4 years time when we will be able to predict the present based upon the past!

Woot?

Comment

Working...
                                X