This abusive relationship ends today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This abusive relationship ends today

When I first started watching and loving NBA ball, the Raptors didn't exist. I loved the Malone/Stockton Jazz and Hakeem's Rockets. Being Canadian, though, and a naïve kid, I got excited about the Raptors, first with Mighty Mouse, and then really became a die-hard fan during the Vince Carter years. It's been 15 painful, abusive years of fandom now, and let me tell you: I'm getting out. I'm checking into a battered fan's shelter. Maybe I'll find a new team to love; right now both the Jazz and the Rockets, my first flings, seem like really great bandwagons to jump on.

All I know is, the Raptors are fucked for the foreseeable future. I can forgive some of Colangelo's mistakes. I thought O'Neal was a risky move, but one worth taking. I loved the drafting of Bargnani. I was really starting to get on board with Ross, and I was excited for JV's future. I was an extremely vocal supporter of the Fields signing. I even gave him a pass for not trading Bosh--maybe there just weren't any decent deals out there worth taking.

But I just can't forgive him the Turkoglu signing, or the Bargnani extension, or the DeRozan extension. All of those moves looked terrible at the time, were almost universally condemned (well, there were a few weirdos who thought the Turk deal, though certainly an overpayment, was a worthwhile risk to keep Bosh around), and turned out awful. And now here's another one. Nobody--but nobody--thinks this trade is a good idea. I won't even go into the reasons, because it's just so obvious.

Toronto for the next 3 years is stuck in the same position the Isaiah Thomas Knicks were in, and I'm not sticking around to take the abuse.

Im not a nobody. I like the trade.
    The Baltic Beast is unstoppable!

Comment

I like it
      For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

I like the negativity.

brings back memories of jv and tr draftings.

Comment

I'm ecstatic over the trade, especially if it is just the first domino to fall in the radical overhaul of the roster. Bargnani, Kleiza and DeRozan (for a good trade) are next, hopefully!

Comment

CalgaryRapsFan wrote: View Post
            I'm ecstatic over the trade, especially if it is just the first domino to fall in the radical overhaul of the roster. Bargnani, Kleiza and DeRozan (for a good trade) are next, hopefully!
            its growing on me.. i still wish rudy would change his name though maybe he could be mecca world war or something LOL

im sure it is the first domino to fall & i highly doubt this is the only blockbuster BC has up his sleeve

Comment

Speak for yourself. I'd be willing to bet that most of the people on here love the trade.

Not to mention all the casual fans and 12 year old boys that love watching highlight reel dunks.

Comment

Also, this is the first time since Chris Bosh left that we actually have a player that you could label as 'the best player on the Raptors'.

Comment

Until Bargnani is traded, all is not well between ebrian and Colangelo.

However, this is a step in the right direction.

I hate losing Ed Davis because he was promising, but I don't think he'll get much better than we've already seen and what makes this trade great is that no one will see it for awhile, since he's no longer a starter.
                  your pal,
                  ebrian

Comment

Sig wrote: View Post
                    Also, this is the first time since Chris Bosh left that we actually have a player that you could label as 'the best player on the Raptors'.
                    Can you confidently say he's even as good an anchor as Bosh? And where did Bosh get us? What does this give anyone other than having a guy with a name American media recognizes....I'll agree he's an obvious upgrade at SF, and probably the best player on the team, but in the end, with the roster largely as is, the long term success will still depend on JV and Ross, so why make such an investment right now?? We'll see what happens. Maybe Gay will prove me wrong and put up 25, 8 and 4....

Comment

It's just such an awful contract, that's what makes it indefensible. It was bad the moment it was signed, and Gay's become worse since then.
                      "Stop eating your sushi."
                      "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                      "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                      - Jack Armstrong

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
                        I like the negativity.

brings back memories of jv and tr draftings.
                        Feels WAY more like the Turkoglu and Kapono signings.
                        "Stop eating your sushi."
                        "I do actually have a pair of Uggs."
                        "I've had three cups of green tea tonight. I'm wired. I'm absolutely wired."
                        - Jack Armstrong

Comment

I love this trade. The Raptors will never get to the next level without a wing like Gay. Derozan is a nice piece but he isnt good enough to be the starting wing on a elite team. Obviously NBA ref's favour the star players, so maybe Gay will get the calls at the buzzer that Derozan, Andrea, Amir dont. Its a farce but it is what it is.

Comment

ST1R wrote: View Post
                            I love this trade. The Raptors will never get to the next level without a wing like Gay. Derozan is a nice piece but he isnt good enough to be the starting wing on a elite team. Obviously NBA ref's favour the star players, so maybe Gay will get the calls at the buzzer that Derozan, Andrea, Amir dont. Its a farce but it is what it is.
                            Gay gets to the line less than Demar.

Comment

ST1R wrote: View Post
                              Very True. Did you see the Pacers-Nuggets game when Iguodala got fouled with 0.5 secs left? That was nothing compared to how Demar got hit tonight, but still the refs awarded Iguodala with a star-call and gave him FTs to win the game.

Comment

Working...
                              X