Ross situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

isaacthompson wrote: View Post
    Ross is in no way a better 2-way player than DeMar. Both are pitiful on defense, but DeMar scores more, so he gets the starting nod. Ross is not ready at all to start for this team, he is like a poor man's DeMar with a deeper shot.
    Disagree.

I've never seen Ross pussy foot out of a drive for a flailing layup. Kid looks to finish everything strong and with a dunk. If DD did this, he'd be an all-star.

Comment

Matt52 wrote: View Post
      Disagree.

I've never seen Ross pussy foot out of a drive for a flailing layup. Kid looks to finish everything strong and with a dunk. If DD did this, he'd be an all-star.
      I agree with what you say, I was just putting it in terms of how they're both scoring guards, but provide little on defense.
      Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

Disagree.

I think the problem with Demar is that too often, he thinks the best shot is the one he can get off. Someone needs to remind him how many of his free throw attempts don't come after buckets. It's kind of funny, because he gets to the line a lot, and is clearly still capable of getting there more.

Comment

Disagree.

I can count the number of Ross drives this season on 1 hand lol. Ross probably has one of the worse free throw drawing rate for a wing player this season so not sure what you're talking about.
          Last edited by why_you_mad_tho; Wed Apr 17, 2013, 02:16 PM.

Comment

why_you_mad_tho wrote: View Post
            I can count the number of Ross drives this season on 1 hand lol. Ross probably has one of the worse free throw drawing rate for a wing player this season so not sure what you're talking about.
            Did you fail the 1st grade?

Comment

I can count the number of Ross drives this season on 1 hand lol
              thats true anyone can finish with a strong dunk on a fast break lol. DeMar dunked on people too in his rookie season its the best time to get away with dunks people dont know what you are going to do.

Comment

Rapstor4Life wrote: View Post
                thats true anyone can finish with a strong dunk on a fast break lol. DeMar dunked on people too in his rookie season its the best time to get away with dunks people dont know what you are going to do.
                There is no real "best time" to get a dunk off. If you have the elevation and athleticism that DeMar and Ross have, you can pretty much dunk whenever you like, whether if be in the half-court set or on a fastbreak. Just ask Timofey Mozgov for confirmation
                Twitter - @thekid_it

Comment

DeRozan?
                  Ross can stay in front of someone, Derozan can't.

Ross makes mistakes in the team system defensively i.e help-side, rotations, etc, Derozan seems to be in the right place.
                  Twitter: @ReubenJRD • NBA, Raptors writer for Daily Hive Vancouver, Toronto.

Comment

I didn't say he did frequently. But now that you bring it up, Casey is running plays for jump shots and the rookie obliged. Then he was told you have to drive and he has started to do it.

I said when he drove, he went hard and attempted to dunk everything.

I am not sure what you are talking about. Where did I mention drawing free throws?

Comment

Being a better team defender most times trumps being a better one on one defender but hey Ross is a rookie.

Comment

I disagree especially when considering DeRozan has 4 years experience.
                        Experience Schmexperience. I only care about who fucks up less today.
                        For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                          Experience Schmexperience. I only care about who fucks up less today.
                          That is a really stupid comment especially when talking about a non-playoff team that is relying on internal growth to improve.

4 years of little to no growth compared to a rookie who is already on par in my opinion.

Comment

I love women
                            Last edited by why_you_mad_tho; Wed Apr 17, 2013, 04:12 PM.

Comment

That is a really stupid comment especially when talking about a non-playoff team that is relying on internal growth to improve.

4 years of little to no growth compared to a rookie who is already on par in my opinion.

Casey has decided that it is better to yank rookies when they make system mistakes or take bad shots. I'm not a coach, I see value in letting rookies play through them, I also see value in letting the starting five gel, I also see value is making people buy into the system the hard way. He is NOT on par with DeRozan in terms of the schemes. He does pass the eye test because he occasionally gets into peoples grill and makes it look tough. Casey was tasked with making or threatening to make the playoffs as well as developing not one, not two, but three rookies.

So you are more than welcome to your opinion that Ross is a better or on par individual defender but the team suffers with him on the floor.
                              For still frame photograph of me reading the DeRozan thread please refer to my avatar

Comment

thead wrote: View Post
                                So you are more than welcome to your opinion that Ross is a better or on par individual defender but the team suffers with him on the floor.
                                The team currently suffers with Demar on the floor, too. When a team is as bad as Toronto is right now, arguing Ross vs. Derozan is like arguing Pinto vs. Corvair. I like them both, and I think both can provide value to a basketball team, but I wouldn't want to have to rely on either of them to markedly improve or anchor the team. Neither one is good enough for that right now, and may never be.

For what it's worth, if I were designing a team from scratch, I'd take Ross and his potential on a rookie contract over Derozan and his current production at $10M/year. There's not enough separating them right now to easily choose, but one has already shown better defensive instincts and a more-promising 3-pt shot in year 1 than the other has in 4 years, and makes a ton less money. So if a choice has to be made, I would lean to Demar as the trade chip...

Then again, I'd personally try to keep both DD and Ross, and get rid of Gay instead, for the same reasons I'd choose Ross over DD: younger and cheaper -- plus, possibly easier to coach. But Gay is probably going nowhere until the 2015 trade deadline -- yay, another big expiring contract we have to wait out. Sigh.
                                Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Comment

Working...
                                X